Thief, I know who did it.........

Unique situation. Long story short guy steals tractor from house and utility trailer from another house. He is caught with picture stealing trailer but not with tractor on trailer. He stopped down the road and put the tractor on the trailer as seen by neighbor. Charges pursued but unable to pin tractor on him even though he did it. Fact is the tractor was sold before it was stolen and is long gone.

He returned the trailer with persuasion from the county prosecutor as they had a picture of him stealing it. Trailer was heavily damaged and they are pursuing charges. He has a long list of charges including armed robbery. What would you do when you have his picture, home address, business name, licences plate number, picture of his truck, etc. He spent 6 hours in jail and is out on bond paid by his family. Been arrested for theft 7 times since 2004. One is armed robbery.

Would you confront him when he lives down the road?

What I might do, I wouldn’t type on the internet :wink:

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I think most of us here would like to think we would be the big bad tough guy and confront this individual about it and “teach” him a lesson. Not saying some of us couldn’t or could do that, but what I would say is that if this guy has been caught that many times, he obviously has no regard for others property and most probably no regard for others lives either. It would be a bad, not to mention, very selfish decision to confront this guy, especially on his turf, if you have family. You would just be putting yourself in a very dangerous situation IMO. Nothing is worth losing your life over, which could easily happen here, and I am sure your family feels the same way. This guy’s lifestyle will eventually catch up to him and he will pay dearly for his decisions. Best to let the law handle it, forgive, but not forget, and move on and have a great life with family. Just my 2 cents though.

Nothing, its just a tractor.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
It would be a bad, not to mention, very selfish decision to confront this guy, especially on his turf,

You are right there. Don’t take it to his home turf.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Guess I am more concerned about him coming back or stealing something else as he got away with it.

Get insurance.

You can just about guarantee that if you “do” something, you will likely live to regret it. The system is soft on property crime but can be a real bear on vigilantes and assault charges. Especially ones who document that they are thinking about “doing” something on the internet!

I would air out his dirty laundry on the internetz…

you could always pull up his rap sheet, and make a flyer with address, picture, etc.

put it in every mailbox in the neighborhood, and 20-30 in his.

quote:
Originally posted by baracuda

you could always pull up his rap sheet, and make a flyer with address, picture, etc.

put it in every mailbox in the neighborhood, and 20-30 in his.

mailbox? What are we, savages? Cave men? Have you ever heard of Facebook?

That’s whats wrong with this country and people today!!! Someone steals from you, the legal systems fails, and the victim is expected to just roll over and take it. Even better you know who did it, he got away with it due to no finger prints or picture, and there is nothing stopping them from doing it again. Matter a fact they have been caught 7 times, who know how many times he has not been caught! On top of that its perceived wrong to confront them. Seems cowardly to me! This country is being overrun by crime and bad people and most are just taking it, especially with the recent riots and shootings.

Yes it was insured but that’s not the point.

book face… meh

for the birds.

Charleston fishing shaming?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

I’d put his dirty laundry everywhere possible, especially Craigslist. Warn everyone about who he is and what he does.

The rest of what I would do I will not post on the internet.

I know what I’d like to do, but also what I would do. The bottom line as I see it is this. Which one of you has more to lose? I bet you do, and it puts you at a huge disadvantage if this conversation is to escalate and it probably would because people that don’t have a lot to lose make stupid decisions. Basically agree with everything RWL sai
d.

18ft Polar CC 115 Yam.

“Pamplona is no place to bring your wife” Earnest Hemmingway

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Nothing, its just a tractor.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Shut your mouth… just a tractor… I love my tractors and none are “just a tractor”. Unless they break down.

quote:
Originally posted by RWL

I think most of us here would like to think we would be the big bad tough guy and confront this individual about it and “teach” him a lesson. Not saying some of us couldn’t or could do that, but what I would say is that if this guy has been caught that many times, he obviously has no regard for others property and most probably no regard for others lives either. It would be a bad, not to mention, very selfish decision to confront this guy, especially on his turf, if you have family. You would just be putting yourself in a very dangerous situation IMO. Nothing is worth losing your life over, which could easily happen here, and I am sure your family feels the same way. This guy’s lifestyle will eventually catch up to him and he will pay dearly for his decisions. Best to let the law handle it, forgive, but not forget, and move on and have a great life with family. Just my 2 cents though.

^^^This. Very thoughtful and well-articulated response.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

file a civil action and make it public

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Fishman 77

That’s whats wrong with this country and people today!!! Someone steals from you, the legal systems fails, and the victim is expected to just roll over and take it. Even better you know who did it, he got away with it due to no finger prints or picture, and there is nothing stopping them from doing it again. Matter a fact they have been caught 7 times, who know how many times he has not been caught! On top of that its perceived wrong to confront them. Seems cowardly to me! This country is being overrun by crime and bad people and most are just taking it, especially with the recent riots and shootings.

Don’t confuse the “right” thing to do with people perceiving that it is “wrong” to confront him, it is just not the “wise” thing to do! In a perfect world, the right thing would be to confront him, but we don’t live in a perfect world, so one has to “weigh” ALL of the potential consequences to make a decision. That can be many factors depending on one’s situation. I have a wife and 4 kids, so no amount of property would justify me going to a guys house that I know stole from me because of the potential BAD things that could and probably would happen if I did so. No matter how bad I would want to, and I would want o very badly! IMO, that is what is wrong with this country, people do not think of the consequences BEFORE they act. They just do it and then say, “Well I didn’t think of that!”. Well, Why not? I am not directing that last statement at you as you obviously are thinking about it and asking others, so kudus to you.

It sucks when we get something stolen and it appears that the perp is getting away with it, worse when you know who it is, but nothing makes things even in the long run better than KARMA and it

quote:
Originally posted by RWL
quote:
Originally posted by Fishman 77

Don’t confuse the “right” thing to do with people perceiving that it is “wrong” to confront him, it is just not the “wise” thing to do! In a perfect world, the right thing would be to confront him, but we don’t live in a perfect world, so one has to “weigh” ALL of the potential consequences to make a decision. That can be many factors depending on one’s situation. I have a wife and 4 kids, so no amount of property would justify me going to a guys house that I know stole from me because of the potential BAD things that could and probably would happen if I did so. No matter how bad I would want to, and I would want o very badly! IMO, that is what is wrong with this country, people do not think of the consequences BEFORE they act. They just do it and then say, “Well I didn’t think of that!”. Well, Why not? I am not directing that last statement at you as you obviously are thinking about it and asking others, so kudus to you.

It sucks when we get something s