Thoughts on Tidewater Boats?

Saw them for the first time at the boat show last weekend. I’ve never heard of them before but to be fair, I’ve been looking exclusively at Sea Fox’s or older used boats for a while now.

That being said I was interested in the 230CC for the price and I really like the layout too. Anyone have one of these boats? Ride quality seems to be the biggest complaint on reviews but compared to my 197CC bay boat I’m sure it’ll be a significant improvement.

Thanks!

I sea trialed a sportsman 232 today and the ride across the harbor in 20 kt winds was impressive. Bilge access is a huge selling point for me too.

I’ve tried to reply to this thread 10 times already, but just haven’t been able to do so. But, this time it’s going to happen. And there are people who will say I’m mean and crazy, but these are the goobers who own one of the boats.

If you have narrowed your search to exclusively Sea Fox boats, you clearly aren’t all that interested in resale or function. Sea Fox boats are notorious for being poorly made. Some will say, man, that was years ago. And they are right, it was. But they are still crap. Just like Range Rovers are still crap, even though they look amazing. Same for Jaguar. It just is what it is. In this case, Renken has taken a turd and polished it. But, it is still a turd. Now, I’m not saying Tidewater boats are great. That’s just not true. But, you will get better customer service from them, and you will have the knowledge that your boat doesn’t completely suck.

quote:
Originally posted by Half-hitched

I’ve tried to reply to this thread 10 times already, but just haven’t been able to do so. But, this time it’s going to happen. And there are people who will say I’m mean and crazy, but these are the goobers who own one of the boats.

If you have narrowed your search to exclusively Sea Fox boats, you clearly aren’t all that interested in resale or function. Sea Fox boats are notorious for being poorly made. Some will say, man, that was years ago. And they are right, it was. But they are still crap. Just like Range Rovers are still crap, even though they look amazing. Same for Jaguar. It just is what it is. In this case, Renken has taken a turd and polished it. But, it is still a turd. Now, I’m not saying Tidewater boats are great. That’s just not true. But, you will get better customer service from them, and you will have the knowledge that your boat doesn’t completely suck.

I’m open minded but the reason I liked Tidewater’s or Seafox’s layout, more so than other boats, is because in some models the whole transom isn’t a seat with access underneath. The rear fold down seats are nice because I could fish with more room off the back.

That being said… What would you spend your money on if you were stuck in the 60k range on a 23-25 foot center console that will be primarily be used for fishing off shore? I don’t have six figures to dump on a boat…

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

Sea Hunt has come a long way from its “entry level” days.
Might check them out.

16’ Alumacraft Mod V Hull Jon Boat
25hp Yammy 4 stroke

JWS, if you have pics from the sea trial, would love to see them

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

$60k range I would be looking at a used edgewater or simular. Maybe a used contender from the mid 2000’s. You could always repower.

it’s sad to say that for that amount of money you are not going to get a well built boat for strictly offshore use.

Better yet maybe have an old mako built for you. Build it your way and power it with new. No taxes on boat. Built the way you want.

Tall Sail Marine

quote:

That being said… What would you spend your money on if you were stuck in the 60k range on a 23-25 foot center console that will be primarily be used for fishing off shore? I don’t have six figures to dump on a boat…

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

Pioneer 222 Sportfish with a 300.

neither of those boats would be on my list to buy.
I would strongly consider a 2 year old boat that still has warranty.
sea hunt, pioneer, nauticstar, robalo, newer cobia, sportsman, all much better build quality than seafox or tidewater.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.bombislandboats.com
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2014-pioneer-222-sportfish/6479507524.html
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bod/d/2017-sea-hunt-234-ultra-with/6466948327.html
https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2017-sea-hunt-225-triton/6470177096.html

here are just a few examples

www.bombislandboats.com

Good pics Chris. That pioneer would be perfect

Tall Sail Marine

LC,
Ha lone Seafox advocate here…I find these types of threads amusing!
I’ve got a 2012 Seafox 199cc and could not be more pleased with the boat from a value, fit and finish, and performance perspective. It would hold its own up against any of the other mass produced boats listed above, from ride, design, fish-ability, family comfort, dry weight (btw only 50lbs less than a 222 Pioneer Sportfish), deadrise, hardware, upholstery, livewell, overboard box and deck drainage, etc, etc.

As others stated, buy used! You have many good options to choose from. If it is a Seafox, because of the perception, you will likely get a bigger boat for the same or less money. https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/892221-2014-sea-fox-commander-246-a.html

GLW your search!

quote:
Originally posted by salty849
quote:

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

Pioneer 222 Sportfish with a 300.

And I know where you may be able to buy one real soon, won’t even need the gas tank filled. 2012 w/ F300 and about 500hrs at $49,500.00. Dual Lowrance HDS, 1kw Airmar, Taco bases, 15’ extended poles, full curtains and wings, boat cover, Sirius, Windlass, Icom VHF, Fusion Stereo. Just go fishing.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Are you talking about a bay boat, or deep v offshore? That might help with the opinions. Myself for the money and options the nauticstar is hard to beat. Look at the hull warranty, compared to the others. If you are buying new order the boat with the options you want, it will save you a lot of money. The boat shows have usually have dealer reps there and can nock a good deal of money off if you order one. I bought my nauticstar 2400 sport last year the rep gave me a $1000 off as did the dealer for buying at the show. I couldn’t be more happy with it, and the price. I did look at the tidewater, and it didn’t have half the room or warranty. I can load the 6 of us for a day at the sandbar, and never have to take my fishing stuff out , and nothing is floating around on the floor everything has a place to go.

All great info! Thanks everyone. I currently have a SeaFox so I’m a bit biased. Haven’t has a single issue with my boat, just wanting to jump from a bay boat to something that could handle a little rougher waters offshore. It’s not flat everyday and that 197cc gets her little ass kicked out there.

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2014-pioneer-222-sportfish/6479507524.html
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bod/d/2017-sea-hunt-234-ultra-with/6466948327.html
https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2017-sea-hunt-225-triton/6470177096.html

here are just a few examples

www.bombislandboats.com

These are awesome BTW. Really appreciate the help!

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

quote:
Originally posted by Badfish

LC,
Ha lone Seafox advocate here…I find these types of threads amusing!
I’ve got a 2012 Seafox 199cc and could not be more pleased with the boat from a value, fit and finish, and performance perspective. It would hold its own up against any of the other mass produced boats listed above, from ride, design, fish-ability, family comfort, dry weight (btw only 50lbs less than a 222 Pioneer Sportfish), deadrise, hardware, upholstery, livewell, overboard box and deck drainage, etc, etc.

As others stated, buy used! You have many good options to choose from. If it is a Seafox, because of the perception, you will likely get a bigger boat for the same or less money. https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/892221-2014-sea-fox-commander-246-a.html

GLW your search!

Seafox has and will always be junk. I have a buddy right now with a 22ft bay boat Seafox and the gelcoat on the deck is blistering, its a 2015 model I believe and Seafox is cutting corners fixing it correctly. If you don’t mind a boat that is bound to have issues and has a crappy resale value by all means buy a Seafox…

I had a sea hunt…loved it. Sea fox kindof like a bayliner. When you buy it you better love it a long time… Hard to sell and you are going to take a bath on it too. Resale is as much to be considered when buying. That’s part of the value as well. For me a huge part

http://hanckelmarine.com/boats-for-sale/2017-sportsman-open-232-center-console-charleston-south-carolina-6390000/

I own a 2016 Sea Fox 266 and have had no problems with it. Have been looking recently to trade it in to buy a bigger boat. Two out of the 3 dealers have offered to give me a very good price for my current Sea Fox. I’m not taking sides just saying everyone has an opinion. Mine is that Sea fox is a decent boat for a good price. We go offshore and have never had any issues. I assume Tidewater is similar. Hope this helps some.