Tilt n Trim Issues

So when I went to take my motor off the travel kickstand this, the motor will not trim up. It sounds like the pump runs, definitely hear the solenoids click and pump run when pressed up or down… the black little fill cap you see pours fluid out when I back it off so it doesn’t appear to be low but I’m just not sure. Any ideas or suggestions? I can’t even lift the motor high enough to let the wife remove the travel stand either, only lifts a few inches. Even had her press the button while i lifted too. Im stumped. Youtube hasn’t been particularly helpful either… maybe one of you can get me in the right direction. What say yous. These things are supposed to prevent these types of issues with the trim, not advance them, go figure haha

What year is it? Most likely the seals. I never saw mine leaking either. It made noise and acted like it was working but nothing would tilt/trim. Replace the whole assembly and enjoy the peace of mind. That’s what i did. Mine is a 2006.

And the replacement OEM parts are black. Don’t ask. It confused me too. About $2400 on Boats.net

You can try it, but they are usually corroded and very hard to turn. There’s a pressure relief screw on Yamahas somewhere. Usually on the port side. Look for this little picture.

It’s an 06 as well… I thought that screw was to let it down? Guess it could raise it too… ill try it…

$2300!?! Sonofa…

Yea it doesnt “look” like it leaked either so a seal kit might be worthless

Turned the screw and heard some bubbling, pressed the button up n down while the screw was backed out, then tightened screw. Then pressed up and i could hear it sort of ramp up and slowly lifted the motor. Its now raising and lowering but sounds like crap and seems slow too… maybe I’ll just start with a rebuild kit! Thanks for the advice!

Put a jack under it to brace it, turn that screw. You should then be able to use the jack to lift the motor up. Brace it again. If it falls back down, it’s a bear to get back up to be able to work on the tilt trim assembly.

If that screw is stuck try penetrating lube. Do not strip it.

Mine is a F150. Different prices for different motors of course. The guys on the phone will want your serial number to verify its the correct part.

Ill tell you what i was told. It might not strand you on the next trip out, but it will eventually!

Glad you got something moving!

It’s likely super slow because there’s saltwater mixed in there. Glad you had this problem on land.

I was looking for the fluid coming out of the fill spout to be nasty or milky, but other than being slightly darker than new fluid, it looked great. The little that I saw anyway

From what i read the water will settle out at the bottom over time if the motor hasn’t been used lately. Run that motor up and down several times and then check it again. Maybe then you’ll see it milky.

Not quite as bad for the vmax150 but not cheap… and i dont see a seal kit available there…

Peace of mind brother.

You won’t regret it.

I rebuilt both of my Mercury’s several years ago. I think the kits were around $45 a piece back then. I imagine they’re double that now. Took me about 4 hours to do both motors.
You seem to be pretty handy. Basically just cleaning and replacing o-ring/seals. The tool to take the Caps off the pumps around $30. I made mine.

Those Yammies are super sensitive on the fluid level, on their trim pumps. I’d cycle the engine up, and down, several times, then check the fluid level, again.

I bet you tore it up on that camping trip.Ripsnorting through the back waters killing frogs.Big T 7mm will definitely have to go next year so y’all will maintain.

2 Likes

She sucked down a little fluid yesterday and went to stroking much better after running it up n down a couple of times. When I pulled her out into the sunlight I could see where the seal on the left piston has swollen or maybe even rolled a bit. I know it needs a repair kit at minimum but we launched for a few hours in the creek just to get some sun and wind. It was worth it. Just another project to put on the list… nothing to it but to do it.

Transmission fluid is your friend now

1 Like

I would have had more tilt n trim fluid but I used it as bar oil a month ago… haha

I did the same thing a while back.
Used my hydraulic fluid that goes in the Powerpoll. Oil as hell lot cheaper