Time for Flatfish

I can remember the first flounder I caught as a kid. Bringing this strange alien looking fish with two eyes on one side of his body I was not even sure it was a fish. Once it was breaded and hit the hot grease, I knew that I wanted to catch another one.

Flounder fishing was very popular when I was growing up. People would actually plan a “flounder fishing” trip. With the resurgence of the redfish and the popularity of sight casting the flounder took a backseat in popularity and became more a product of by-catch on fishing trips targeting redfish and trout.

In the last few years the flounder seems to have become a popular target among anglers again. I am not sure if it is because people my age are now having kids and have fond memories of going out and targeting flounder so they want their kids to experience it or if the people that have been targeting the other species all of these years just want to do something a little bit different.

If you want to give flounder fishing a try, from now until the end of fall is prim-time to give them a shot. Fishing the mouths of feeder creeks, inlets and pockets along the marsh grass in the rivers will normally produce some nice fish. For advice on the best way to rig up for flounder, stop by one of your local tackle shops and let the pros show you some different methods for rigging. Flounder can be caught on a variety of baits, both artificial and live bait. Who knows, you just may find catching these strange looking fish as a fun challenge to add to your fishing plans.

[b]Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com</font id=“blue”>[b]