Time to Grub

From 11/2/00</font id=blue>

It’s the beginning of fall in the Lowcountry, the air is crisp, the water calm, and the trout are schooling. It’s the perfect time of year to throw a tape in the VCR to record that college football game and head out in the river to enjoy the weather and catch a few trout. Trout fishing in the Lowcountry is generally good throughout the year, however most anglers will agree the trout are most aggressive and plentiful during the fall months. Trout fishing has always been one of my favorite types of fishing, primarily due to the fact it is so relaxing, the set up is easy, and a school of trout can provide hours of non-stop action.

Over the years I have caught Trout on all types of grubs, spoons, buck tails, plugs, flies and live baits, and generally choose my bait according to water quality, abundance of bait, and the type and depth of the structure I am fishing. I have found the grub to be one of the most versatile of all baits. They are available in thousands of different shapes, styles, and colors and the different ways to rig and fish them is endless. Grubs can be fished in deep water, shallow water, fished with a mud minnow attached, fished below a popping cork, or fished in tandem with two on one rig. The reason that grubs are so commonly used by trout fisherman include the ability to change colors quickly and effortlessly, the great action they produce in the water, and the ability to change the depths you are fishing just by simply changing the size of the lead heads.

Color selection for grubs is dependent upon water turbidity. Turbidity is most easily defined as water clarity. Generally the water appears darker in the early fall primarily due to the abundance of plankton and algae supported by the warmer water temperatures. As the water temperature declines with the onset of late fall and early winter plankton and algae populations diminish and water clarity increases. The other primary factors that govern water clarity include tides, wind conditions, an