Too Close

I didn’t say he was right or wrong, I said THIS POST was wrong. You can’t act out by posting pictures of people on forums because you’re mad. However, the fact that a bunch of GROWN men are insulting a GIRL is disturbing to me. I was raised in the south, therefore I was taught that men RESPECT women. I do not appreciate the insults considering I did not insult anyone but the person who wrote this post. I am not clueless, nor will I ever be. None of you know me, so how can you say that I am? I am in an advanced nursing program, at a prestigious school, and have made almost a perfect GPA. I am far from clueless, but at the same time, I felt that this post was childish. Period. That was why I posted, not to be attacked by middle aged men.

I don’t believe anyone is disrespecting you or questioning your intelligence. What your stepdad did is frowned upon in the fishing community. Period. If he didn’t know before, hopefully now he knows. Period.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

You also don’t need to mock me. If someone did this to you, I would hope your children would want to stand up for you also. And yes, people were disrespecting me. I have as much right to state my opinion as you do, however, I have not called someone basically stupid or “lacking common sense” because I stated mine. All I was saying, is this could be handled differently than this. That’s it.

If someone is anchored in or near a spot that I wanted to fish, I will almost always move on. If there is a spot around outside of shouting distance, I may consider fishing that. If they are poling, using the trolling motor or drifting, I move on. I stay completely away from guides as they are making a living. The biggest challenge of fishing this area is that there is so much good water that it’s hard to figure out where they are and feeding. So why crowd someone? All of this is my opinion and choice and everyone is entitled to thier own. There is nothing wrong with asking someone if you can move in from shouting distance however.
Peace, O.C.

“Junk always sounds best.”

No one is disrespecting you or your stepdad yeah sure maybe the picture shouldn’t have been posted, hell the conversation could have been avoided totally but it wasn’t, the thread was started and no matter if you’ve been fishing it since you were 13 or not, just like you said its the ocean you dont have a deed. On the same token that doesn’t mean he should be so blatant as to pull up on top of someone, most likely because he views it as “his spot” which we have already discussed is not at all. I have spots and when people are on them I keep going and wait, common courtesy goes a long way. How ever this is a fishing report forum so it shouldn’t have been mentioned.

2009 Pro-lite 18 Flats
115 Suzuki 4 stroke

good fishing report though Skrimpin

2009 Pro-lite 18 Flats
115 Suzuki 4 stroke

I have, not once, answered for him, defending his doing, or saying he was right. Not once. I am not him so I can not control his actions or what he does, HOWEVER, this post is my issue. Just because I dislike someone, it doesn’t mean that I can post pictures of them calling them out because I feel like it. That is common courtesy in the general human population. Fishing or not, it is.

You are clueless , we’re not middle aged and we might not be men.

The other day I was walking on a flat off of my kayak, and a guy in a poling skiff came up. Now this was a big flat, but he still asked me if it was ok for him to pole through about 70 yards away from. He said he wasn’t going to fish the spot, just wanted permission to pole through to another place.

I was shocked at the amount of courtesy by someone asking my permission on a body of water that obviously doesn’t belong to me.

My response was of course you can, and fish near me if you like. I know he didn’t think I “owned” the spot, he was just trying to be nice. That can go a long way in this fishing community.

He even gave me pointers and called out a nice redfish that was headed my way. I have always been respectful on the water, but this brought me to a new level.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by HannahK

You also don’t need to mock me. If someone did this to you, I would hope your children would want to stand up for you also. And yes, people were disrespecting me. I have as much right to state my opinion as you do, however, I have not called someone basically stupid or “lacking common sense” because I stated mine. All I was saying, is this could be handled differently than this. That’s it.

I am not going to mock or disrecpect you - but I am going to question the timing of all this:

So you joined this website today? Have you been reading it for a long time/daily? How did you find the pic of your stepdad on a site like this that you don’t happen to belong to?

Sorry -seems odd to me that a young college girl would be reading a fishing site, smack in the middle of the week, so intently that she would stumble across the pic of step daddy.

Lets be honest here - daddy is a member of this site and is not willing to man up and speak… right?

Okay seriously? Your username is dirty white boy… a boy is a male. Do continue to insult my intelligence and my concept of reality because you definitely know me and can describe my character. I am not saying things about you am I?

Actually, one of my step dads friends is a member of this site and sent it to him. My step dad is not a member of this site. Everyone deserves at least one person to stand up for them, therefore I am. I am also not a young girl, but thanks for the compliment I guess? Really it doesn’t do anything to question why I decided to comment, or what my interest is, or any of that jazz. But I was glad to clarify. (:

Tell your stepdad to find some other spots to have as standby’s when someone else is already fishing “his spot”

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

The other day I was walking on a flat off of my kayak, and a guy in a poling skiff came up. Now this was a big flat, but he still asked me if it was ok for him to pole through about 70 yards away from. He said he wasn’t going to fish the spot, just wanted permission to pole through to another place.

I was shocked at the amount of courtesy by someone asking my permission on a body of water that obviously doesn’t belong to me.

My response was of course you can, and fish near me if you like. I know he didn’t think I “owned” the spot, he was just trying to be nice. That can go a long way in this fishing community.

He even gave me pointers and called out a nice redfish that was headed my way. I have always been respectful on the water, but this brought me to a new level.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Just remeber that “respect” is variable and may be defined by the area that one learned to fish. I’ve been fishing for 40 years - 3 in Charleston. I see people here get butthurt over things that wouldn’t even make one blink on another body of water…

Been on many local fishing sites, many bodies of water and levels of etiquette from yelling distance to putting out fenders to stop the bumping… seen many threads that just call out others - others that may not know local “rules”.

Instead - isn’t it more productive to explain proper area etiquette than to simply yell about being mad?

I personally will just always be one of those people who asks before doing whatever I want. I don’t see anything wrong with asking someone else before I do something that can start an issue. I try to be polite, and do no harm to others, or inconvenience them.

I posted this because it happens to me all the time and I just hoped maybe it would change one persons behavior. Maybe I should start a thread of every person who I see doing this it would be pretty funny and might change some peoples attitudes on the water. We could call it the OFFENDERS. I do not believe I own ANY spot and I did catch a fish about 2 feet off their boat. Hannahk if you think I was in the wrong which obviously you do that is fine. I respect other peoples opinions and I was not mad I have grown used to this kind of behavior. Like I said originally there a plenty of other places to fish this happens all the time so we moved on to catch other fish.

All I did was post a report and hope this changes the views of one fisherman out there somewhere, forever. If thats the case then I am happy and okay with you being mad and getting yelled at was more than worth it. Thanks for your input.

Couple of questions/comments:

1. Do y’all find it odd that mr bigskrimpin hasn’t responded to any of these posts

2. The way the boat is laid up it appears to be an incoming tide so the anchor is even farther away

3. It’s either a really crappy camera or mr big was a good ways off.

4. Why wouldn’t mr big just man up and talk to the guys in the boat rather than hide behind a forum and post their picture?

5. A fishing report normally has pictures of fish? Got any pics of those 30 trout ore big reds?

6. Since you didn’t man up and talk to the guys, please post a pic of your boat and the required distance you prefer folks to stay away.

It all sounds kinda fishy to me so maybe this is a genuine fishing report.

Thank you for being respectful with your answer, I appreciate it, and I am sorry that I came off a little bit hot headed. I do understand what you all are saying, but I still will defend my own to the end. Honestly, it probably would be funny if there were a bunch of pictures of people. We have “FashionPolice” websites here at school and they make fun of what people are wearing. It might have just been the context, but I really do appreciate you being respectful back to me. :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by HannahK

Thank you for being respectful with your answer, I appreciate it, and I am sorry that I came off a little bit hot headed. I do understand what you all are saying, but I still will defend my own to the end. Honestly, it probably would be funny if there were a bunch of pictures of people. We have “FashionPolice” websites here at school and they make fun of what people are wearing. It might have just been the context, but I really do appreciate you being respectful back to me. :slight_smile:

So you go from - “who are you to post pics of others” to “hey - lets do it and laugh at them” in a matter of 10 posts. Way to stand strong girl.

Look, this picture was not posted in a funny way, and the way people responded was not in light-hearted spirits if you get my drift. A context in which there are LOTS of pictures in a funny way, then it would be different, and I wouldn’t have even cared. Really though, he spoke to me with a lot of respect so I commend him and thank him.