Too Close

Good on you Stepdad:smiley: There are certainly 2 sides to every story and it’s great that you raised a daughter who stands by you.

If this incident had happened between you and me, we would have resolved it on the spot and nobody but me and you would have ever known it happened, and we would both leave smiling :sunglasses: A few fish ain’t worth getting upset over.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
If I am poling please give me a mile in front I dont care about behind

Right. I’ll be sure to leave you a clean mile :smiley: If you do come across me staked out in front of you, just pole around me. It won’t bother me a bit :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by cape_fisherman

They were trolling?

quote:
Originally posted by reds
quote:

They were trolling?

yes

Sounds even worse??? If they were trolling and you rode up and blocked the bank, by anchoring in their path???
Sounds like RESPECT is the only issue here…Do unto others!!

Just apologize instead of defending.If someone is in trouble,offer help…Otherwise respect their space…It is just that simple.

By the way,I have not received an apology from the guy that staked my favorite spot.Maybe he moved the poles…As soon as the ramps open up i will drive the 160 miles and check.

quote:
quote:
quote:

They were trolling?

yes

I was using a trolling motor to stay on the point. I wouldn’t call that trolling but to each his own. I guess working a point and throwing lures up current from the front of the boat is now trolling. We had taken the time to get in there quietly and had been there for a little while catching some nice fish. I did not say anything rude to you. What I said exactly was, “you just threw your anchor on top of the fish” which you did and when you said, “HUH” and I hooked a fish I said, “I just showed you, you threw the anchor on top of the fish.” The reason you could not hear me was because you had your 2-stroke motor running right over where I had just caught several nice trout. Then I made a few more casts and decided all the big fish had shutdown so we moved on.

This kind of thing happens to me and people I know, who are very courteous on the water, all the time. I have made my point. As I stated before if this changes just one persons views on the water about respecting other peoples space then I am happy and people can be mad at me, thats fine. Some people take great care to pay attention to detail and give themselves the best chance to catch fish,it is a shame when that person does everything right only to have an outside force come and change the attitude of the fish. I see it happen to others all the time.

Be mad at me,dont be mad at me. It doesnt really matter to me. I am going to keep fishing and people are going to keep doing what they want, maybe some of the poeple who have seen this have changed their ways and will respect others on the water. That is all that matters to me.

You dont have to leave me a mile I would appreciate 400 yards though thats just what I leave for others when they are poling, a mile at least. I pole around people all the time staked or anchored all the time. I give a wide swing which is a lot of work for me and nobody on the boat is allowed to fish while we are near another boat. I tell them to grab a snack or water and we will start fishing again once we have passed.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
If I am poling please give me a mile in front I dont care about behind

Right. I’ll be sure to leave you a clean mile :smiley: If you do come across me staked out in front of you, just pole around me. It won’t bother me a bit :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton

1200 feet is far from a mile

quote:
You dont have to leave me a mile I would appreciate 400 yards though thats just what I leave for others when they are poling, a mile at least. I pole around people all the time staked or anchored all the time. I give a wide swing which is a lot of work for me and nobody on the boat is allowed to fish while we are near another boat. I tell them to grab a snack or water and we will start fishing again once we have passed.

You don’t have to go too far out of your way to pole around me and you don’t have to quit fishing either. :sunglasses: It don’t matter to me as long as you aren’t clanging anchors or blasting music. If you come by close, I might ask you to pass me a sandwich or some of that fried chicken though:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

lol wow. I’m a dreaded northerner from PA and I have to admit I’ve never saw so many rude people on the water until I got stationed here. In PA there would be fights if somewhere came this close to you on the water and I never saw it happen in all of the years my dad and I spent on several big lakes in our 12 fooot alumicraft. No problems at the busy launches and if someone was in “your spot”, you just moved to another part of the lake. As far as this picture is concerned, maybe if you didn’t anchor right next to people then they wouldn’t post your pic lol.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12 with Lowrance Mark 4 Fishfinder/GPS
Perception Access Angler

I agree Al8995.

I am from the gulf coast and I have never seen the amount of rude people on the water until I moved here. From people (kids I was told) un-tieing a bunch of boats at my neighborhood dock, to parents seeing nothing wrong with their kids climbing on my boat to jump off my T-top, to people tieing up with no bumpers and having fiberglass damage…the list goes on. I walked out to my boat one time to find a guy sitting on my boat with his feet up talking to someone standing on the dock. I told him to get his ass off my boat and he acted like he had done nothing wrong and was shocked when I told him that you don’t ever just go sit on someone’s boat you don’t own. I asked him if he would go sit in someone’s convertible in the grocery store parking lot and he said “uh, well I guess not.” It has amazed me the lack of respect people around here have for boats. I truly think there are so many people that moved here that didn’t grow up on the water that they don’t know better but then I shake my head and realize the human race for the most part is selfish and doesn’t care about anyone besides themselves.

It’s sad but true. The guy in this thread just exemplifies this.

quote:
the human race for the most part is selfish and doesn't care about anyone besides themselves.

True dat!

When someone doesn’t/can’t see what they have done wrong, it is time to give it up. You’re just wasting your time and validating the bad behavior. Now, everybody shut up and go fishing!!!

Yes, my Mom told me not to say shut up.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by al8995

lol wow. I’m a dreaded northerner from PA and I have to admit I’ve never saw so many rude people on the water until I got stationed here. In PA there would be fights if somewhere came this close to you on the water and I never saw it happen in all of the years my dad and I spent on several big lakes in our 12 fooot alumicraft. No problems at the busy launches and if someone was in “your spot”, you just moved to another part of the lake. As far as this picture is concerned, maybe if you didn’t anchor right next to people then they wouldn’t post your pic lol.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12 with Lowrance Mark 4 Fishfinder/GPS
Perception Access Angler

Have you ever fished the upper chesapeake or in the salt water at OCMD or the Jersey Shore?

On a saturday in OCMD bay one can walk from boat to boat - during the fall striper run in OC Inlet boats are nearly on top of each other lining up to drift across the rips. The striper run on the upper chesapeake looks like the opening scene from Jaws - boats within casting distance for as far as the eye can see… one boat fishing a bank line? Unheard of.

Great Read!

172 Sea Hunt Triton
Laser Sailboat

good stuff. Perhaps the OP was trolling after all?

Keep it Awesome!!!

You have a lot to learn sunny-boy!

200 Bay Scout
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

Hannah…I understand you stepping up for ur stepdad, however, the rules of the road are NOT as u think. It’s just common courtesy not to encroach in another fisherman’s space. Just because he fishes that area often, it does NOT give him rights to the spot either. He should NEVER have been that close when someone else is anchored there. YOU AND HE ARE SIMPLY WRONG!

200 Bay Scout
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

This thread has everything. Anger, hate, love, common sense, uncommon sense, androgyny. This is like the Golden Corral of threads! LOL! Thank you thank you!

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

Who doesn’t love a buffet?

I do however hate the fact that the word “buffet” is french. I thinks it means, “I can’t eat anymore, I quit”.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Just to clarify…one more time, the boy was not anchored but was trolling the point. I have apologize for any encrochment but I assumed he would move on. In my 20+ yrs. of fishing this area, since I’m a local, I have never had any issues with this type of behavior and I would not intentionally do that. Oh and by the way, you don’t need to try to teach my daughter any lessons because you don’t know what really happened and you definetly weren’t there.