Top Ten Reasons to Homeschool

These are each described in detail in the article text below. 10. Less exposure to sexual aggression and predators. 9. A drug free environment. 8. More positive peer pressure. 7.Tailored curricula. 6. Belonging is family centered. 5. Pure motives. 4. Academic rigor. 3. Academic integrity. 2. Time with parents …
Read More

One of the prime reasons for not home schooling is the motivation for instituting a routine. When you’re at home, and you have nowhere to be, there is no imperative to be in a rush to start the lessons. If the child might be in a bad or uncooperative mood that day, how does the hapless mother get him or her to the designated learning area and then try to teach that bundle of joy? Whereas when they are bundled off to school, they will often snap out of a mood once they say hi to their friends, and go on to have a productive day of lessons and a generally fine day. In the structured environment of school, the kids learn discipline and time management, and learn to work within a structure. These are essential skills that we all need in the big world. A base that lacks these will lead to a newly-minted adult being thrown into a shark tank.
We already don’t need a permit to be a parent. I think a lot of you will agree that many, many parents wouldn’t pass if we needed certification to have children. So what qualifies a parent to teach or undertake home schooling? In that case, why do we require our teachers to be trained? The usual parent to home school is the mother. By definition, she is a housewife. If she’s been a housewife since she had her kiddies, or even if she recently left the workplace, how in touch is she with the #world? While some mothers are, I’m sure, quite qualified to teach their children, there are some who likely are not.
A parent teaching their own child (let’s assume it’s mom) means that she relates to her child as a teacher the same way she relates to him/her as a mom. She molds the child as a parent, now she gets to mold that young mind as a teacher. She hears the child as her kiddie, not as a student; she has the same ears. The student will not be heard as he/she would be by an objective teacher. That’s not taking into account her life experience. What if she were useless at math at school? Or history? Home schooling by an untrained parent is not desirable. Toss in a stressed mother that n

The home schooled kids I met in college were interesting. Very intelligent, but not good with social interactions or deadlines, and very naive. They tended to do better with the professors, but not as well with their peers, which made group work a pain in the ass.

To each their own. Both my boys go / went to public school here in SC. I will say that they are / did receive an excellent education. There are pathways for excellent students to be challenged. My wife and I have always felt that it is very important for them to mix with the diverse population of their school. This reflects reality and even builds understanding of others who don’t share their race, background or financial situation. Fort Dorchester is fed by both Windsor Hill (very poor and mostly black) and Coosaw Creek (very wealthy and mostly white). You can’t get any more extreme difference than that! As a result, I feel my boys are well prepared to face the true world as they go off to college and beyond. But…to each their own.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

8 more positive peer pressure

What peers? Homeschooling is the ultimate coddling a parent can do. Your kids social skills are likely to be nonexistent. IMO many private schools are unhealthy for kids because the provide very little social diversity but homeschooling is far worse.

First, Most, Biggest

Friday nights in the Fall, I’d give my left nut to be able to suit up and hit the field again. Cool nights, hard hitting, good looking cheerleaders… you cant get that from any homeschooling.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Friday nights in the Fall, I’d give my left nut to be able to suit up and hit the field again. Cool nights, hard hitting, good looking cheerleaders… you cant get that from any homeschooling.

Are you forgetting Tim Tebow was home schooled? Many states allow home school students to play sports on public school teams in their districts. A buddy of mine coached for many years a dedicated home school football team in the New Orleans area.

Our own children prefer sports other than football, but there have been lots of opportunities for them through the years: basketball, soccer, martial arts, shooting, tennis, ultimate, etc.

How many public schools offer quality instruction in the shooting sports, reloading, and gun cleaning?

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

8 more positive peer pressure

What peers? Homeschooling is the ultimate coddling a parent can do. Your kids social skills are likely to be nonexistent. IMO many private schools are unhealthy for kids because the provide very little social diversity but homeschooling is far worse.

Why do you think children need 35-40 hours each week of peer interaction?

My home schooled teens spend 10-20 hours each week interacting with peers in various contexts: college classes, sporting activities, employment, extracurriculars, etc.

My daughter’s martial arts coach selected her out of all of his athletes to hire as an additional coach to teach at his academy because of her outstanding people skills.

Over the years we’ve home schooled, we’ve had tons of positive ■■■■■■■■ from coaches, other parents, college teachers, employers, and the other adults our children interact with regularly. The only negative ■■■■■■■■ has been from adults who felt disrespected when teens felt free to correct them (usually about factual errors). We’re working on that.

But nearly every time I drop one of them off at the local college campus, I see tons of public school products walking around with their heads buried in a cell phone. Is that the social diversity and skill set my home schooled students are supposedly lacking? No thanks.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

Homeschooling didn’t give Timmy Tebow his size and natural ability, and he didn’t exactly light up the NFL , in fact he’s about done. Maybe some more broadcasting from the booth?

Not all homeschool kids have parents who taught college, you have an advantage.

Humans are a very social species that’s why. I know there are a few loaners out there but they are relatively few.

I went to Wando and feel like it was similar to what Optiker described. It was financially and culturally diverse due to collecting students from IOP, MTP, SI, Awendaw, and farther for some No Child Left Behind students. Its size alone made it hard not to have a bit of everything.

I’ve known a few kids that went to Ashley Hall and BE which are both very isolated sections of society. The Ahall girls were boy crazy party animals. The BE kids had problems with high end drugs and many had almost no social understanding of African American culture. YOU might not care about that social aspect but I think it’s pretty important. Experience is the best learning tool out there (time on the water) and homeschool kids are extremely limited in this regard. Even if we used your very generous 20 hour estimate that would still yield half the experience that the average high school kid gets.

You also have to factor in the benefits of group discussions and opening ones mind to other trains of thought. One instructor and one student isn’t much of a discussion and is a very limited opinion base. I would wager that the more kids are exposed to different ideas the more open to alternative possibilities in the future (thinking outside the box). Independence is also a factor here. It’s good for kids to learn to branch out which is nearly impossible when you’re under the thumb of a parent 95% of your waking hours.

And Clemson (public) offers those shooting classes you speak of.

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Great White It's good for kids to learn to branch out which is nearly impossible when you're under the thumb of a parent 95% of your waking hours.

That’s a pretty misinformed picture of home schooling. Our home school students have been very independent since at least the sixth grade. They pick their own course work, which is increasingly outsourced and includes a number of venues with a diverse collection of other students. With students in 10th, 11th, and 12th grades, I am more of an administrator and taxi driver than a classroom teacher. I average far less than 1 hour per day direct academic time with each student. They are not under anyone’s thumb.

quote:
Originally posted by Great White And Clemson (public) offers those shooting classes you speak of.

My daughter was recently admitted to Clemson, and there is just no way a freshman can keep a firearm on campus there. There are some firearms classes offered through the extension, but there really doesn’t seem to be any way for students to possess firearms on campus. The overall attitude is strongly anti-gun, as it is on nearly all college campuses.

In contrast, firearms have been an integral part of our home school curriculum starting in pre-K.

Lots of interesting ■■■■■■■■. Sure, there probably are still some good schools where parents can depend on their children being well prepared academically for college. But having taught at both the Air Force Academy and a big state school (physics and calculus), I can tell you that in most states, the majority of students with ACT scores near and below average are poorly prepared for these college courses both in their study habits and in their skills and knowledge in science and math.

Sure, students also need to be well prepared for the onslaught of temptations that await them in college. An 18 year old college student should be better prepared to face temptations to common excesses of college years. However, in many public schools direct exposure to these destructive behaviors can become very common in middle and high school. Home school provides a way to reduce exposures to destructive behaviors and related temptations until the student is sufficiently prepared to resist them. Having taught in several public schools, my wife and I have seen that these schools’ efforts and abilities to provide learning environments with manageable levels of these destructive behaviors and temptations is far, far less than it was when we attended public schools 30-40 years ago.

The view of home schooling that assumes that parents and siblings are the only peers is skewed and demonstrates that those commenting did not even read the original article. One wonders if public school advocates and graduates have a habit of commenting before actually reading. Most home school students have increasing amounts of peer interactions through middle school and high school. 10-20 hours per week is typical for high schoolers, including sports, youth groups, college classes, high school coursework, clubs, and other extracurriculars. In addition to lots of extracurriculars and sports, our approach is for our students to gradually acclimate to college work and life starting with at least one college course in 10th grade and increasing to fi

great, good. what are going to try and sell next?

My wife homeschools our two sons - the oldest after 5th grade and youngest after 3rd. I too was skeptical about it due to social interactions, etc. but I can say that five years later that it was a good decision - considering the alternatives we had at the time. I don’t have the religious zeal of my colleague who started this thread but I figured I’d chime-in my experience.

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

It works for some, not an option or not desirable for others. Most, if not all of your reasons are certainly not reasons to shelter your kids.

1. Less exposure to sexual aggression and predators. True but, you have to teach your kids to be cautious and aware. They have to join the real world at some point.

2. A drug free environment. Yep, but if you teach them the dangers of drug use, spend time with them and bring them up right, it’s not a problem.

3. More positive peer pressure. Peer pressure is part of life, as kids and adults. They need to learn how to handle/deal with it. Not sure they would ever actually encounter any at home.

4. Tailored curricula. Yep, though they may not be exposed to stuff that they need or find interesting. Smart kids with parents that value education will see to it their kids are challenged.

5. Belonging is family centered. Hmmm, can’t be “family centered” if your kid goes to public school? It’s all about quality, family time.

6. Pure motives. Not sure what this means. Do public schools have impure motives? Seems like an assumption on your part.

7. Academic rigor. My oldest graduated with an International Baccalaureate diploma and was way more prepared for college than kids that had no such diploma. Plenty of “rigor”

8. Academic integrity. What? Again, seems like an assumption on your part that there is no such thing in public schools.

9. Time with parents. Do you all stay home all day for school? The key is spending as much quality time with your kids as you can. Unfortunately, we have to work so staying home all day isn’t an
    option.

10. Didn’t see a 1 on your post, didn’t read the article. No question, some kids do well with home schooling. Glad it works for your kids, I would never have thought of denying my kids all that they
    would have missed being home schooled. My youngest plays soccer with a home schooled kid. He has no social skills at all. Not sure if it is him or the fact that he is home schooled. We built speci

Simple answer… “Depends on the teacher”… Whether that “teacher” is the parent or a “professional”… My kids are going to private\public school, but if I was forced to home school, I am fully confident that I am smart enough to beat the results of “common core”…

Doug, I agree on all of your points, 100%. A big problem with public schools is the lack of parental involvement in their childrens affairs. I’m not talking about helicopter parenting - I’m talking about being active in their education, making sure they are doing their homework, pushing them to try their best, knowing where they are and who their friends are, etc. Public schools have pathways for excellent students. CP or “College Prep” is anything but. Must be honors or AP or IB. My oldest darn near aced his ACT and is getting straight A’s at Clemson so I know he was prepared - as a product of a public education in SC. Our household dynamic sounds very much like Doug’s.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

It works for some, not an option or not desirable for others. Most, if not all of your reasons are certainly not reasons to shelter your kids.

1. Less exposure to sexual aggression and predators. True but, you have to teach your kids to be cautious and aware. They have to join the real world at some point.

2. A drug free environment. Yep, but if you teach them the dangers of drug use, spend time with them and bring them up right, it’s not a problem.

3. More positive peer pressure. Peer pressure is part of life, as kids and adults. They need to learn how to handle/deal with it. Not sure they would ever actually encounter any at home.

4. Tailored curricula. Yep, though they may not be exposed to stuff that they need or find interesting. Smart kids with parents that value education will see to it their kids are challenged.

5. Belonging is family centered. Hmmm, can’t be “family centered” if your kid goes to public school? It’s all about quality, family time.

6. Pure motives. Not sure what this means. Do public schools have impure motives? Seems like an assumption on your part.

7. Academic rigor. My oldest graduated with an International Baccalaureate diploma and was way more prepared for college than kids that had no such diploma. Plenty of “rigor”

8. Academic integrity. What? Again, seems like an assumption on your part that there is no such thing in public schools.

9. Time with parents. Do you all stay home all day for school? The key is spending as much quality time with your kids as you can. Unfortunately, we have to work so staying home all day isn’t an
    option.

10. Didn’t see a 1 on your post, didn’t read the article. No question, some kids do well with home schooling. Glad it works for your kids, I would never have thought of denying my kids all that they
    would have missed being home schoo

This discussion is interesting to me. As a product of a combination of private and public school I can say some of the things said are very broad assumptions and perceptions. I did not see a lot of difference in the two. Great White mentioned being sheltered in a private school and I did not see that at all. If anything you were forced to deal with the people you did not get along with because of the size of the school. In the larger public school setting if you did not like one group it was very easy to move to a group you did like. I see good points in both types of education and every kid is different. My kids are going to a mix of public and private as I see best how to meet their education needs based on each one. I have not participated in home schooling, but don’t see anything wrong with it as long as it is done properly. I have seen people that lack discipline and therefore their homeschooling methods lack the structure and discipline needed. I also don’t think many parents have the intelligence to homeschool their kids. Dfreedom hit the nail on the head. Parental involvement is huge. I think you can get a great education from public schools if the parents are engaged in the process and make sure their kids are challenged at every level, the same for private schools and homeschooling. dropping your kid off and expecting someone else to do everything for you is where things go sideways. Lazy parenting will create problems every time.

My kids are home schooled as well. Wife has 2 masters in education & is more than qualified to teach them.

Before leaving the wonderful SC public school system:
My oldest was struggling with dyslexia and common core was killing her ability to learn the basics. She was in 5th grade and reading on a early 4th grade level. The school offered zero help. She constantly got low test scores - yet got B’s and A’s on her report cards. The schools were simply pushing her thru the system.

My second was in 3rd grade and reading on a 4th grade level - she is now 2 grade levels ahead and on pace to enter Trident CC for a combined HS and College curriculum at 14 or 15 years old. If everything goes well, she can have her BA/BS by the age of 19/20.

Socialization - this was my main concern at first too, now I know better. Home schooled kids are rapidly growing in numbers - they meet and interact with kids of all types multiple times a week, are in sports, and take traditional classes twice a week at a local private school.

My kids are in team sports 6 days a week, and can be on any HS team they wish (we still pay school taxes and have access to school functions).

And we are not helicopter parents. The kids are off an running to friends houses for sleep overs, concerts, camping trips without us, on their bikes all around the neighborhood…