Top Ten Reasons to Homeschool

opti’s kids got where they are due to their momma.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom 10. Less exposure to sexual aggression and predators. True but, you have to teach your kids to be cautious and aware. They have to join the real world at some point.

Absolutely. But a parent can choose extracurriculars that are much safer (and verifiable) than the public schools. And 18 year olds can be much better prepared for the weirdos than younger children.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom 8. More positive peer pressure. Peer pressure is part of life, as kids and adults. They need to learn how to handle/deal with it. Not sure they would ever actually encounter any at home.

Ah, the uninformed myth that home schooled students never get out. Ours are spending 10-20 hours each week with peers by high school. Plenty of peers, but the parents have much more ability to know and make adjustments to the peers their children are exposed to.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom 7. Tailored curricula. Yep, though they may not be exposed to stuff that they need or find interesting. Smart kids with parents that value education will see to it their kids are challenged.

There is a lot more flexibility than public schools.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom 6. Belonging is family centered. Hmmm, can't be "family centered" if your kid goes to pub
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel LDB if you start posting your whole posts in here as opposed to trying to drive traffic to your site, we'd be more inclined to read them.

Most of the articles exceed the allowed word count on the forums. Adding all the pictures is also a pain. Is clicking really that hard?

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

You mistook my points for arguing against home schooling. They were not in opposition to home schooling, just pointing out that none of the 10 reasons were 100% etched in stone and that while some kids may benefit from home schooling, it definitely isn’t a one size fits all approach.

You use those “reasons” in a very generic sense whereas I use them as applied to my children, my family and how my wife and I raise our children.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

How is this not considered spam?

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

An open, honest discussion with no commercial intent.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

opti’s kids got where they are due to their momma.

Ima git you!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

quote:
Originally posted by LittleDrummerBoy
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

An open, honest discussion with no commercial intent.

biblicaltheologyofscience

Looks like you are advertising for Michael the messiah, luring folks in with a “homeschooling” title.

some fellow comes along wanting to sell custom rods, shrimp poles, or stick anchors and he gets told to quit spamming and become a sponsor, how is this any different.

I have a question about a comparison to a link you have posted on your web page, it mentions female teachers being sexual predators. What are the numbers of teachers being charged as sexual predators vs. priests?

Seems its easier to just move them around, then make them pay for their crime.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/09/17/us-priests-sex-abuse-relocate-south-america/32551455/

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel LDB if you start posting your whole posts in here as opposed to trying to drive traffic to your site, we'd be more inclined to read them.

Most of the articles exceed the allowed word count on the forums. Adding all the pictures is also a pain. Is clicking really that hard?

You’re using this site to drive traffic to your site. Truncate your posts and put them on here. I’d wager that the majority of people commenting didn’t read it.

Yet another advantage in home schooling is that the scheduling flexibility opens up employment opportunities that are generally unavailable to public school students. The laws of supply and demand being what they are, public school students face significant employment disadvantages since their availability is limited to times when there is a huge oversupply of other public school students also available for work in a local market (after school, weekends, over breaks). Home school students seeking work have the schedule flexibility to provide needed services at times when the supply of available labor is much smaller.

Schedule flexibility is also huge and supports family trips and vacations any time of year. There is no need to risk confrontations with the truant officers to take your children on longer hunting or fishing or hiking or camping trips during the school year. Weather and hunting seasons don’t carefully follow the breaks in the public school calendar. Home schooling allows breaks to be taken at any time, or it allows the educational process to go mobile as long as state mandated requirements for subject matter and the length of school day are met.

In addition to preserving our faith-based values, home schooling has empowered our children to travel much more and have both academic and sporting accomplishments that would have otherwise been much harder. Just as the most competitive tennis players and gymnasts are often home schooled to allow for their travel and practice schedules, we’ve found home schooling allows a much higher level of focus on our children’s chosen sports.

My oldest played high school football, lacrosse and coached a flag football team all while obtaining an IB degree with an A average. My youngest plays soccer (2 teams), football and is a Boy Scout and, is in all AAP classes. We get it, it works for you and yours. It isn’t for everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

My oldest played high school football, lacrosse and coached a flag football team all while obtaining an IB degree with an A average. My youngest plays soccer (2 teams), football and is a Boy Scout and, is in all AAP classes. We get it, it works for you and yours. It isn’t for everyone.

Agreed.

My point is not that home schooling is for everyone, but rather that there are a lot of advantages that are worthy of due consideration.

Sometime soon, I hope to have a post discussing the disadvantages also.

one disadvantage is it works your wife’s ass of and there’s nothing left at the end of the day

this is like the macdaddy threads where he had a complete discussion with himself. REALLY starting to dig LDB

quote:

I hope to have a post discussing the disadvantages also.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

and I’m sure there will be one more hyperlink I won’t click on…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Sometime soon, I hope to have a post discussing the disadvantages also.

Have fun with that. I await with breathless anticipation.

MacDaddy was homeschooled, and he ended up dead under someone’s dock last fall… Talk about some social skilz…

RBF didn’t attend any school, hence his is the smartest person he ever met, and social adept with himself…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

one disadvantage is it works your wife’s ass of and there’s nothing left at the end of the day

I’ve been the primary homeschooling parent for the past few years.

Further, it was not an undue burden when my wife was the primary homeschooling parent.

Two keys to reducing the labor burden on the parents are 1) outsourcing a number of courses to high quality providers that allow the parent to be an administrator rather than the instructor 2) teaching all the children the same course in cases where the parent is the instructor.

Parent-directed education would be a better name than “home schooling” because it helps dispel the myths that the parent does most of the teaching and that the delivery and learning are confined to the home.

Homeschooling is intellectual inbreeding at best…

Life is the best and cruelest teacher; it gives you the test first, and the lesson later…

RBF

quote:
MacDaddy was homeschooled, and he ended up dead under someone's dock last fall...

Say it ain’t so [:0]

I’m a product of public schools, not counting GA Tech. Probably a good thing I wasn’t home schooled, my mom and dad only had degrees in a hard life. But if I had to raise a kid now I would sure consider it. I do real good at Jeopardy :smiley: Really glad my child raising days are behind me. This world is a mess.

quote:
Life is the best and cruelest teacher; it gives you the test first, and the lesson later...

I agree with that, up to a point. Some things not so much.

This is my son, getting a good lesson on how not to release a cobia, and how to always protect your nuts:face_with_head_bandage: Lessons like that aren’t soon forgot!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper