Top Water Jacks

The old saying “There is more than one way to skin a cat” certainly applies when it comes to catching big Jack Cravelle in the waters of the lowcountry. Big Jacks are not known as a finicky fish and have been known to eat quite a variety of baits. Anglers in Charleston enjoy world-class size jacks in our waters every summer and routinely target these incredibly strong fish with everything from live bait to fly rods. My favorite method uses big artificial top-water baits. There is just something exciting about watching a fish in the 25-45 pound range come up and “crush” a top water plug.  I use the word “crush” because it is the best way to describe the initial hit of a big Jack. My first encounter with this formidable opponent resulted in my plug coming back to me with two sets of straightened hooks and a huge crack running down the center of the plug. Lesson learned: Don’t try to manhandle a Jack to the boat.  Allow the drag to do its job and take your time. Depending on your tackle, a 1-hour fight is not uncommon.

When selecting your tackle there are a few things to keep in mind. Select a rod with some backbone. I prefer a 6’6” - 7’, medium to medium-heavy action rod.  Not only does this allow me to lean into the fish when I need to, but it also helps steer the fish away from the school once you hook him. This will keep the hooked fish from taking your line back through the school and breaking you off.  Make sure your reel will hold at least 150 yards of 15-20 lb test line.  Also keep in mind that you will be casting to the fish so make sure you choose a set up that is easy for you to cast and retrieve multiple times. I made the mistake of using a heavy rod and reel combo and wore myself out casting before I had ever hooked up a fish.

Now to my favorite part of the conversation, choosing the top-water plug that will drive the fish crazy. I love to experiment with all types of different shapes and sizes when it comes to lures.   I have come to realize that the fish are not nearly as sophis