Trailer Maintenance

Over the next few weeks spring break will hit for most lowcountry schools and many families will take off for a boating destination while the kids have a short break. Before you take off for a road trip or even a trip around the corner with your boat you may want to check your boat trailers temperature. I check my trailers temp pretty much every trip. Checking a trailers temperature? Sure my father got me in that habit, simply place your hand on the hubs after a short tow or on a regular basis during long tows. If the hubs are heating up, you know your bearings are worn or running short on grease, and a major problem and serious damage is sure occur if it has not already.

As we all know saltwater can really wreak havoc on a boat trailer, and a boat trailer that is not properly maintained is sure to leave you stranded on the roadside.

Here are a few preventative maintenance ideas that may help keep you from being stranded on the roadside at 6 oclock on a Sunday afternoon:

• Hubs should be packed with marine grade axle grease. Dust seals located on the inside of hub are notorious for failing and when these seals fail saltwater and sand may enter the hub thus destroying the bearings. Depending upon trailer usage hubs should be pulled every year or two and inspected. While pulling the hub, if water or sand is noted then the hub should be dismantled, the seals should be replaced and the bearings should be thoroughly cleaned and inspected. If the bearings show improper wear then they should be replaced. If there is major damage to the bearings the inner portions of the hub housing should also be inspected for improper wear. Hubs should obviously be repacked before installing. Bearing Buddies are available at most marine retailers and when installed and filled on a regular basis can add many years of life to your hubs. Before you reinstall the tires, spend a few minutes really inspecting the inside of your rims. I recently had a problem with a tire going flat. After a thorough inspection I realized the surface