troubleshooting a WEN 2000W inverter generator

anybody else have a small portable generator that has difficulty starting? I’ve had mine about a year and now it won’t start…tried troubleshooting on the interweb, but not much help there…checked the spark plug, looks good…has oil and gas…is there a carb that you can spray the starting fluid stuff in? I do this with my 5500k generator to start and it works like a champ…but I’m unfamiliar with this smaller inverter generator…help!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Bonz, does it have an air cleaner on it! Follow the gas line from the tank! Where it ends should be a carb, unless it is injected! It has to get air from somewhere! Only gas engine I know of, that doesn’t have an air cleaner on it is on a snow blower!

3 things to run a combustion engine. AIR/FUEL/FIRE.

1. Fuel on
  2. Fuel flow into carb/fuel injector. Open drain on carb bowl and make sure there is fuel and check for water(especially with ethanol)
    3)Float may be stuck in fuel bowl in closed position(mine was)
  3. Check plug for spark
    Main problem with small engines is ETHANOL. Great for service/repair…caustic to small engines. Alcohol degrades fuel lines and water from degradation of fuel from sitting and air contact.
    Hope this helps.

Bonz, after you use your generator always pull the gas line at the carb and drain the tank into a gas can! Also take the bowl off the carb and dump the fuel out! Next time you use it, put fresh gas in it and it should start right up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bab0GcU4_Oo

Sorry, after looking it up I see it has a cover. Check the fuel strainer for fuel flow( under carb):

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/1037318/Wen-56200i.html?page=28#manual

Why you need a generator today? Feels like there was a party and you didn’t invite us

When was the last time you ran it & has it been sitting with old gas in it? I left some ethanol gas in mine once, for about 4 months. That stuff gums up the works in short order. There are very tiny holes in the carb, that when blocked won’t allow gas to flow. Had a difficult time getting it cleaned out & running again, but that was the problem. The carb was gummed up from the gas left in it. Now, I use SeaFoam in the gas and no problems so far. But, I also do as has been suggested & empty the gas tank if it’s going to sit for any prolonged periods.

Made in China, by chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKKuuXUM6I

thanks guys…it has been sitting up for maybe 3-4 months but has non-ethanol gas in it…I appreciate the tips, now I’ve got a few things to try…
PeaPod, I bought it for our epic flounder gig trip that you promised me…
Nutz, it is prolly from China…ran great for the first 6 months…and yea, that is how I start my bigger generator, with a squirt into the carb or whatever that butterfly choke thingy is :))

My HONDA has a slide switch on the top of the gas cap that has an on/off position. Does yours have something like that somewhere? Honda cranked on 3rd pull after sitting for 10 months.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Even non ethanol gas will break down & gum up. That’s why gas additives are recommended if it’s going to sit for long periods.

First thing to try, be sure it’s firing & you have a spark at the plug. Next & a cheap fix if it works, get a can of carb cleaner & see if there’s a blockage in the carb.

Next would be the gas filter if it has one.

Beyond that, or as others have said a clogged air filter but that’s usually easy to see. The carb might need to be taken off to clean a blockage. That usually means some new gaskets. I’ve cleaned a few carbs with carb cleaner & some stainless fishing wire. Sometimes all it takes is some of those tiny holes to get clogged & the carb just won’t work.

In a past job, I used to rebuild some small engines, Sthil saws used for cutting concrete & 9 times out of 10, a blockage in a carb was why it wouldn’t run.

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

so the air cleaner is where I’d spray the carb cleaner right? is it along those little holes on the bottom?

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:

so the air cleaner is where I’d spray the carb cleaner right? is it along those little holes on the bottom?

If it was mine, I'd drain the gas and replace with a 1/2 bottle of chemtrol(wal mart) and get it into the carb by pulling the starter cord. Once it gets into the carb, it will break up the gum...or take off the air cleaner intake duct and spray carb cleaner directly into the carb...or spray ether(starter fluid) directly into the carb and try to get it started. Did you check the fuel strainer and you know you're getting fuel to the carb? Be careful...I'm not a professional and backfire with fuel around could end up missing some eyebrows.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:

If it was mine, I'd drain the gas and replace with a 1/2 bottle of chemtrol(wal mart) and get it into the carb by pulling the starter cord. Once it gets into the carb, it will break up the gum...or take off the air cleaner intake duct and spray carb cleaner directly into the carb...or spray ether(starter fluid) directly into the carb and try to get it started. Did you check the fuel strainer and you know you're getting fuel to the carb? Be careful...I'm not a professional and backfire with fuel around could end up missing some eyebrows.

I’m getting back into it tonight so will advise…and if I’m missing any eyebrows I’ll post some pics…thanks again for the help!

Jeez Bonz, get your wife to show you! Big Bonz, needs to slap the s88t out of you, for not learning this s88t as a kid!:face_with_head_bandage:

everybody has to be dumb about something…small engine repair is mine…PeaPod is not going to like your tone of voice right now…

Gonna go with Easy on this one. He should slap you

Man, these boys are tough on you and being rather insensitive to your feelings.
Check the fuel strainer first and make sure your getting gas in the carb bowel…should be a drain plug on bottom of bowl
Start the generator with the starter fluid and run some of the chemtrol into the carb and let it sit overnight…add some fuel latter and start it again with the starter fluid…
Go giging with PeaPod and get more flounder for being insensitive.

mdaddy, def have gas in the bowl and through the drain plug…double checked the spark plug and I don’t see a spark at all…will replace that and try again…
oh and these guys are just jealous…they don’t know the luxury of ignorant bliss…I’ll keep humoring them until I get this dam thing crunk up! :))