Trucker Heater Trouble

2006 Toyota Tundra. Left home today and even after water temp gauge was operating in the normal range, the heater was blowing cool air. I made a stop and on the way home, tried the heat again and it blew hot all the way home. Any thoughts?

Did you mess with temp adjust? Sounds like a damper didn’t open/close. Maybe loss of vacuum.

blend door actuator hung up?

so many things on newer vehicles to go wrong in the climate control area! and bad thing is most newer dashes are a royal pain in the butt to get into.

Hope it keeps working for you!

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Yeah, I twist the knob back and forth, blows warm, then cool, then ho then back to cool. Hoping I can figure it out myself rather than take it in since I no longer have a mechanic I know and trust. It never ends.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Check the valve on the firewall to make sure it is fully opening when the temp is in the hot position. Also check the coolant level. If those are both ok and the engine is at full temp I would next look at the possibility of a clogged heater core or poor coolant flow(weak water pump, clogged radiator, thermostat not fully opening). I have a 2006 Tundra as well. The nice thing for us is that there are very few electronics that control anything to do with the heat an a/c in our trucks. Much more old school that most 2006 vehicles.

My gut leads me to low coolant. Traditionally the heater core will be the first thing to lose coolant flow when the system is low.

Carolina Skiff JV17
Hydra-Sport 22 Bay

Check the radiator cap, the rubber can go bad and you can loose pressure, I found out the hard way.

Double D.

I’ll add that one to my list. Hoping to start checking all suggestions this weekend and figure out what the problem is.

did you roll the windows up???

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Dang, I forgot to think horse when I hear hoof beats, I thought zebra.

DF, you should file a formal complaint with Admin over that bonzo comment. seems mean, bullying, and stuff

I’m used to it, been married a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I’m used to it, been married a long time.

somebody PM’d me that The Pod made some snide comment…I’ve got him on the ignore every fourth post thing so I can’t see it right now…tell him I’m onto his shenaninaninagins…whatever, he will get the point…

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

did you roll the windows up???

:smiley::smiley::smiley: Gotta love a smart arse! that is funny though.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Don’t encourage such behavior.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Don’t encourage such behavior.

You wouldn’t believe some of the service calls I’ve been to and sent techs to for a piece of equipment that the a/c didn’t work only to find an excavator operator with the door wide open to communicate with the ground worker. Usually laying pipe or such. Some systems are just not designed to cool/heat the whole world :smiley:

My truck did the same thing. Was the valve on the firewall…never even knew it existed!

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

{quote}My truck did the same thing. Was the valve on the firewall…never even knew it existed!
[/quote]

Neither did I. So how did you fix it, did you have to replace it? hey also, did you ever get your hands on that Sccy CPX2?

Well, found out what the problem was. Low coolant. Once I saw that the radiator needed a gallon+ of fluid, I started wondering why. Did a low pressure (12psi) test and see water dripping out at the bottom of the radiator. The drip stopped as soon as I let the pressure off. It is obviously small as there have been no drips on the driveway but, with the skid plate off, you can see a whitish deposit where it has been leaking slowly for a while.

Looking at replacement radiators online, guess I’ll add that to my “to do” list that seems to be getting ever longer.

Sucks, I was coming down today to take my son to the Fishing Expo.

sorry bud.

Dump a can of Stop Leak in it, before you spend the big bucks.