True southern BBQ joints

The wife and I went in to a new BBQ joint yesterday because, well I love BBQ and this was on the way to the house, and was dumbfounded that they didn’t have hash and rice…am I wrong to think that a southern BBQ eatery should have this? The waitresses didn’t even know what hash was!

Am I crazy? Am I just getting cranky in my old age?

And yes, we left without eating there.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

The wife and I went in to a new BBQ joint yesterday because, well I love BBQ and this was on the way to the house, and was dumbfounded that they didn’t have hash and rice…am I wrong to think that a southern BBQ eatery should have this? The waitresses didn’t even know what hash was!

Am I crazy? Am I just getting cranky in my old age?

And yes, we left without eating there.

I call it glam-q, not real bbq. I’m sure I know where you are talking about in west ashley. It was ok at best. Everything I had was overcooked. I gave it a second try, same results and it was a $19 meal :angry:

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

I know the place you speak of in West Ashley…real dry, real expensive.

did they have burnt ends on the menu?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I know the place. Tried the burnt ends once. They aren’t real burnt ends.

If they don’t know what hash and rice is, or worse yet, make a watered down, greasy, sorry attempt at it, then it’s not a real bbq joint.

Oh, forgot to add that if you get too far out of the lowcountry they have never heard of hash.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Sounds like the same one that just opened in Augusta!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

You don’t see many of them in GA serving hash anymore either. Most of them make a facsimile called Brunswick Stew. It’s sort of like hash but not served with rice.

My neighbor makes the best hash I’ve ever had. He starts with a hog head and I don’t know what all goes into it from there, scared to ask, but it’s some good stuff! And it’s served with rice:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Tigerfin hit the nail on the head, I had never even heard of hash and rice till I moved to the East coast… Many of Charleston’s “Great” BBQ restaurants are mediocre at best. A true BBQ joint does not need to cover their meat with sauce, it should be optional not a 2:1 sauce to meat ratio.

Just my two cents…

X2. BoBo Lee (Po Pigs) makes some killer hash down here, and he starts with a hog head. I know parts and pieces go in from that point but also am afraid to ask.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

You don’t see many of them in GA serving hash anymore either. Most of them make a facsimile called Brunswick Stew. It’s sort of like hash but not served with rice.

My neighbor makes the best hash I’ve ever had. He starts with a hog head and I don’t know what all goes into it from there, scared to ask, but it’s some good stuff! And it’s served with rice:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
I don't know what all goes into it from there

My Granddad said good hash had everything but the squeal in it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom
quote:

That’s perhaps one of the best southern phrases I’ve ever heard.

Since hash is generally only served in SC and parts of GA, I wouldn’t say Southern barbecue revolves around it. I would be more inclined to view it as a part of a sub-region of good Southern barbecue…sort of like mustard sauces.

Brunswick Stew is just that…a stew. It in no way resembles, or in any way tries to imitate hash.

Besides…there is no great barbecue around here anyway. As much as my wife and I love it, we quit wasting our money and stopped eating at BBQ places around here years ago. We wonder if these places are manned by people with no talent or no taste. It has to be one of the two.

Duke’s ,in Ridgeville, is my favorite hash. Not a fan of the BBQ , though. Best BBQ , with no sauce , is Kelly’s on hwy 78. Will try Scott’s in Hemingway, one day.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.
“Nobody eats there anymore…It’s always too crowded.” Yogi Berra

quote:
quote:

Mine said everything from the “rooter to the tooter”. :smiley:

Love good hash, we use Boston butts when we make it, but usually just buy a gallon of it from Dukes here in Walterboro when we do a pig.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
quote:

Mine said everything from the “rooter to the tooter”. :smiley:

Love good hash, we use Boston butts when we make it, but usually just buy a gallon of it from Dukes here in Walterboro when we do a pig.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

That’s the way I’ve made it and it is good. My cousin, he’s in his 70’s, makes the best hash but has no recipe. It’s the add a hnadfull of that and a pinch of this…I’m heling him make it memorial day and I will be taking notes!
When I was little I looked in a pot hash was being made and the head floated up to the top. It left quite an impression on a 6 year old.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

I can’t make it to Hemmingway very often so I enjoy the handful of BBQ places James Island and West Ashley…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

McCabe’s in Manning is pretty good as is Big-T here in Columbia.

I’ve found that any bbq place that hasn’t been open about twenty years sucks. Most of the good ones are second or third generation that started as a hobby or side business. The Johnny-come-latelies aren’t doing it for the love of cooking hog anymore.

No BBQ like Lexington BBQ !!!:wink::wink:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown