True southern BBQ joints

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

X2. BoBo Lee (Po Pigs) makes some killer hash down here, and he starts with a hog head. I know parts and pieces go in from that point but also am afraid to ask.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

You don’t see many of them in GA serving hash anymore either. Most of them make a facsimile called Brunswick Stew. It’s sort of like hash but not served with rice.

My neighbor makes the best hash I’ve ever had. He starts with a hog head and I don’t know what all goes into it from there, scared to ask, but it’s some good stuff! And it’s served with rice:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Last I heard Bobo was about to shut it down, the move beside the hardware store didn't help, but the weddings/catering industry slowly migrated from the city to the Edisto area. Bobo personally told me the restaurant couldn't make it without the catering, sad.
quote:
Originally posted by CooperRiverMan

Duke’s ,in Ridgeville, is my favorite hash. Not a fan of the BBQ , though. Best BBQ , with no sauce , is Kelly’s on hwy 78. Will try Scott’s in Hemingway, one day.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.
“Nobody eats there anymore…It’s always too crowded.” Yogi Berra

They lost my business when they stopped making mac n cheese from scratch,Kraft box m&c dont cut it.BBQ was always dry as a chip. However,hash and rice is good at Dukes in Ridgeville.

Sweatmans in Holly Hill, Earl Dukes in Orangeburg, Brown’s In Kingstree, there are your top 3 in the state.

Any of the 3 in orangeburg are pretty good, also Lone Star BBQ in santee was real good the last time I ate there, although it’s been at least 5 years.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by salty849

Sweatmans in Holly Hill, Earl Dukes in Orangeburg, Brown’s In Kingstree, there are your top 3 in the state.

Sweatmans ,what happened there that got some locals shook up?

Complaining about lack of hash and rice is usually proof that someone has never been outside of SC…

quote:
Originally posted by Mississippi River Rat

Tigerfin hit the nail on the head, I had never even heard of hash and rice till I moved to the East coast… Many of Charleston’s “Great” BBQ restaurants are mediocre at best.

I’ve been to Dreamland…its the best BBQ I’ve had outside of Charleston for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

I’ve found that any bbq place that hasn’t been open about twenty years sucks. Most of the good ones are second or third generation that started as a hobby or side business. The Johnny-come-latelies aren’t doing it for the love of cooking hog anymore.

Swig and Swine makes a dang good brisket; know that.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Complaining about lack of hash and rice is usually proof that someone has never been outside of SC…

I’ve been all over the world and back bucko, but I’m proud to say I’m a born and raised Charlestonian…in fact, if I never leave SC again in this life, I’m fine with that…but I will call you at some point to discuss the Alaska trip in July!

:smiley:

May all your favorite bands stay together…

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I’ve been all over the world and back bucko, but I’m proud to say I’m a born and raised Charlestonian…

You are counting your trip to Epcott as "around the world", aren't you?

I was born in Roper… Downtown… And the first kid in history to get out of school suspension from Buist Academy… Are you sure you want to challenge my legacy?

Yes, call me this week. I got some intel for you…

I was born in Roper too, but you beat me there by a few years I think. My family waited out Hugo in our house on JI…but I was a public school kid…your parents must have had that northern money.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

I’ve found that any bbq place that hasn’t been open about twenty years sucks. Most of the good ones are second or third generation that started as a hobby or side business. The Johnny-come-latelies aren’t doing it for the love of cooking hog anymore.

Swig and Swine makes a dang good brisket; know that.

:smiley:

Ricky, sir. While I like good brisket, that is beef, and beef ain’t bbg. Bbg is not a style of cooking, its not a verb, and it ain’t another word for the grill. Bbq is pork that has been cooked over fire and smoke. Let me know if you want a little taste of heaven next time I go to eastern NC. I’ll bring you some on me.

Point taken, but I only get brisket from there. I guess technically not all smoked meats are BBQ, but its in the same ballpark at least…maybe just in my mind, but I’m a fan of pretty much all smoked meats (insert one liner here). But it is a BBQ place open for less than 20 years that has good food…to me…actually I don’t know if they do or not; I order the same thing every time and am well pleased every time (insert additional one liner here).

quote:

I was born in Roper too, but you beat me there by a few years I think. My family waited out Hugo in our house on JI…but I was a public school kid…your parents must have had that northern money.

Buist is a public school... Not knowing that is part of the reason you didn't get in... I waited out Hugo in the old AT&T building downtown across from the college. That building is now a part of the college I think.
quote:

Point taken, but I only get brisket from there. I guess technically not all smoked meats are BBQ, but its in the same ballpark at least…maybe just in my mind, but I’m a fan of pretty much all smoked meats (insert one liner here). But it is a BBQ place open for less than 20 years that has good food…to me…actually I don’t know if they do or not; I order the same thing every time and am well pleased every time (insert additional one liner here).

Understand. I was using your reply to school any transplants in need.

quote:

Careful, now.
Some of us resemble that remark. :wink:

Catch Low Country Mike with his smoker rollin in the Tractor Supply parking lot 17S Ravenel on weekend afternoons. Good stuff. No hash. Sometimes no sides. But, ribs, pulled pork, and chicken are quite tasty.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

next time I go to eastern NC. I’ll bring you some on me.

Any state that puts coleslaw on their BBQ by default is just trying to mask the crappy BBQ underneath...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

Any state that puts coleslaw on their BBQ by default is just trying to mask the crappy BBQ underneath...

I thought about you when I posted that. Remembered you mentioning that about the sandwiches before. Ill let it go this time. Dont blasphem the meat twinkie again.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

Exactly!

And vinegar is made for pickles. Its like some people didn’t stop at the feet and just pickled the whole dang pig.:dizzy_face:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

Exactly!

And vinegar is made for pickles. Its like some people didn’t stop at the feet and just pickled the whole dang pig.:dizzy_face:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

And mustard is for baloney and hot dogs.

I know people are going to throw sh** at me for saying this but the Big Joe sliced beef sandwich at Melvins or Bessingers or whatever they call it, is pretty dam good with the mustard sauce ,thick cut fries and the big battered onion ring. One thing for certain is people will be eating some Q this weekend after this thread, remember to send in your pics.:stuck_out_tongue: