True southern BBQ joints

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

And mustard is for baloney and hot dogs.

Oh the heresy!!!! I grieve!!!

I have never heard of cole slaw on BBQ . But in Lexington NC slaw is put on hot dogs , well at least one place

Bill

I DONT HAVE A BOAT
BUT LOVE TO FISH> HINT

I lived in Austin for several years in the mid 80’s. I thought I knew what bbq was until I lived there. We’re pretenders here. Our sides and fixin’s might be a little better and more varied, but our 'Q is kindergarten grade compared to their 'Q

And - SC 'Q died with the advent of propane cookers. Just as real oyster roasts died with the advent of propane steamers.

Two things you don’t want to see being made…

Hash…

and…

Tax law

By the way, Sweatman’s was a staple after dove shoots way back in the day…long before Ricky23 got his first Red Ryder. Pile the plate high and sneak skins out in your styro cup.

Used to be a big ol’ fella that would have a plate about a foot high…every time we went, he was there. I’m imagining he is no longer walking on this Earth.

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

By the way, Sweatman’s was a staple after dove shoots way back in the day…long before Ricky23 got his first Red Ryder. Pile the plate high and sneak skins out in your styro cup.

Used to be a big ol’ fella that would have a plate about a foot high…every time we went, he was there. I’m imagining he is no longer walking on this Earth.

Dude, I’m older than you…

May all your favorite bands stay together…

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Complaining about lack of hash and rice is usually proof that someone has never been outside of SC…

Careful, now.
Some of us resemble that remark. :wink:

Catch Low Country Mike with his smoker rollin in the Tractor Supply parking lot 17S Ravenel on weekend afternoons. Good stuff. No hash. Sometimes no sides. But, ribs, pulled pork, and chicken are quite tasty.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

Been there done that. Ribs from a parking lot shouldn’t be allowed to be that good.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

And - SC 'Q died with the advent of propane cookers. Just as real oyster roasts died with the advent of propane steamers.

The best hog ever comes on a cold wet rainy February day cooked over hickory coals on a hand made pit. Every part of the hog that doesn’t go on the grill makes it into the puddin pot to be ground up into the hash. I still get some of the good stuff once a year now, but I know that will come to an end, too.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

Dude, I’m older than you…

Your point?

Sounds like a few of you are from the midlands, remember Sikes BBQ on hwy378(closed now) or Hammy’s in Elgin(also closed?) were my favorites, Sheally’s in Batesburg-Leesville also very good.

John Haney and team Alveron ! The best Q I have ever eaten. I can’t even eat anybody else’s pulled pork. John also builds custom grills, some of the best cookers in the Southeast. He just built one for NASCAR driver Elliott Sadler.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
remember Sikes BBQ on hwy378(closed now)

Yes I do. Dang, I had forgotten about them.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Sweatman’s in Holly Hill! They have Hash! But ya’ll are just beating this thing to death. We all have to wait for the definitive answer and he’ll chime in soon! Where are you POD:question::imp::wink::smiley:

long story. not important. hope you’re good Easy

I am Pee, thanks for asking! You:question:

I think it’s cute how non-Texans talk about BBQ. Don’t get me wrong, I love good pulled pork and am happy to eat it any time. Although Texans are known for their brisket, when we put on the dog, we cook brisket, chicken, ribs, sausage, and sometimes pork too. Probably some grilled stuffed jalapenos are somewhere in the mix too. Round it out with potato salad, cole slaw, pinto beans, pickles, and sliced onions.

Even though Texans are the undisputed masters of BBQ, lots of other places (like SC) do a very good job with their regional specialties. I love trying BBQ anywhere I go, and I appreciate it when it’s done well (not well-done) even though it may not be the same way I’d do it. Whether it’s from TX, SC, GA, or even Korea, I say “bring it on!”.

Pro Tips:

1. Never, ever eat at any BBQ joint outside of TX that has Texas in its name.
  2. If the parking lot doesn’t smell good, leave before you waste your time.
  3. If you want the world’s best BBQ, you won’t find it in a restaurant.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

quote:
I think it's cute how non-Texans talk about BBQ
quote:
Even though Texans are the undisputed masters of BBQ

What?!?! Texans can’t compete with the south. Even in their own specialty, brisket, they are constantly outcooked :smiley:. The world series of bbq and memphis and may brisket top 3 were all from outside texas. WSOBBQ in brisket Va, Ia and Ma. Memphis, Ka, Ar, and Tn.

Sounds to me like we need a bbq-fest in addition to the annual CF oyster roast?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

A CF BBQ-fest sounds awesome. I’d probably miss it but it sounds awesome. These big competitions don’t mean much to me. People made extremely good BBQ before anyone ever talked about Maillard reactions, smoke rings, this rub, that rub, brining, blah blah blah, etc. My uncle Jim makes the best BBQ I’ve ever eaten and I bet he’s never even heard of a Maillard reaction. If you asked him his secret, he’d probably just say, “I don’t know. I just start a fire, shovel some coals in the pit, and cook the meat slow.” I guarantee you he doesn’t own a meat thermometer, much less a Thermapen. I get a kick out of all the people that think making BBQ is so technical and difficult. Like cooking almost anything, my motto is “Buy quality ingredients and try not to mess it up.”

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

If you guys will cook it, we’ll eat it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?