Trying Something New

With the water temperatures dropping down as we head into fall the fish are really getting aggressive in their feeding patterns. This is the time of year I like to experiment with different types of artificial baits and different styles of fishing. Many years ago I started throwing hard baits in the fall and really found a pattern that worked well for trout. I also discovered just how hard a trout will hit when going after a large bait. Over the past several years Ive tried different techniques with soft plastics using flutter hooks and other methods. More recently Ive discovered how much fun top-water fishing can be and have caught some of my largest trout ever using this method.

The long and short of it is that hungry aggressive fish are much more fun to experiment with than finicky fish and our fall weather presents us with just the right ingredients. Part of the fun in fishing for many of us is to try and learn a new technique or even create a technique with thought up on our own. Many times we may take something that we see the anglers on the freshwater side doing, and see if we can make it work in the saltwater. Through experimentation our sort continues to evolve and new lures and fishing techniques are developed.

While many of the old tried and true techniques still work very well, it is exciting to try a new type of fishing. If you want to try something new or some out of the box idea you have for fishing, this is a great time of year to give it a shot. Not only are do the fish participate, but the water is often clear enough for you to watch the fish and how they act when you are targeting them. I have been thinking of a couple of new techniques to try this fall and cannot wait to get out there. Give it a try and expand your horizons. You may just find something that works as well or better than the techniques you have be relying on for years.

Andy Pickett,
CharlestonFishing.Com</font id=“blue”>