vacation ideas

i have some free plane tickets that i have to use before may 31 to anywhere in the united states. my wife wants to go somewhere with white and blue water. so im looking for suggestions on somewhere for us and another couple to go. looking for somewhere low key to just chill out. water activities during the day, good food, night entertainment, etc…

Does Puerto Rico fit the, anywhere in the US. bill? If so look at this!

http://www.riverfacts.com/rivers/12926.html

By the end of May, almost anywhere in the Continental US with White and Blue water, will still be pretty cold!

Sounds like Key West would meet your wife’s demands. Flying there is the way to go.

White and blue water, plenty of activities, good food and night life says Florida Keys to me also. I’d fly into Ft. Lauderdale, rent a car and drive from there. Probably less expensive than the connecting flight to Marathon or Key West, and you will want a car.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

What kind of White Water does Key West have, braking surf?

This kind :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I was thinking this Cracker!

Too dang cold for that anywhere in the continental USA right now, IMO. Puerto Rica or the USVI maybe

Capt. Larry Teuton

Cracker, you didn’t click on my link, did you:question:

Yes, but I doubt the airline considers that in the US.Maybe. I don’t know.

Capt. Larry Teuton

Yeah, the airline co doesn’t consider puerto Rico the u.s. we have been looking at the keys, but quite honestly it is a bit overwhelming when you start looking at places on google. Any particular resorts, or hotels that anyone would recommend? Again, nothing luxurious. Just somewhere safe, relaxing, with things to do. Good food is plus! Thanks

204 angler
150 yamaha 4 stroke

Yeah if you are wanting May 31st and you’re wanting warmer weather, Florida or perhaps So-Cal is your best bet.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

Paradise Inn downtown KW very nice place.

Come to Key west in March or so and youmllfind catch the spring break crowd. College girls in bikinis everywhere. Obnoxious drunk frat boys too

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

This kind :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

Wow, what beach is that? Every time I have been to KW, it doesn't look anything like that!!!

Key West is definitely a “chill out” environment in my mind… As far as “good food” and “night entertainment”, I guess that is pretty subjective. I never really thought of KW as a “good food” place, but maybe others do. If you think the best steak in Charleston is at Outback, then you will probably think of KW as having great food. As far as “night entertainment”, again, that’s subjective… If you think of “night entertainment” as a guy playing a guitar for tips, or some heavyset girls line dancing at Fat Tuesdays, or someone playing the piano at a pub, then yeah, you may think of KW as having good “night entertainment”. I’m more of a Miami kind of guy, but KW is about 100x more “laid back” than Miami. If you like “pub crawls”, then KW probably isn’t a bad place. If you are more into the “party like a rockstar” scene, then your brain would go numb in KW. I mention this because you didn’t really indicate your age or what your idea of “nightlife” is.

PS, I don’t think I ever had a “fantastic” meal in KW. I would describe most food down there as touristy and mediocre. Even in the world famous “Sloppy Joe’s”, I would describe it as “disappointing bar food”.

I agree with you about the food and atmosphere in KW, it’s off the chart tourist, with weirdos of every description. Great place for people watching, every species is represented. Poop runs downhill and KW is at the bottom of the pipe. Neat place to visit, but not to stay, for me. The Mel Fisher treasure museum is worth seeing. A sunset in Sunset Park is worth seeing, once. Just people watching there is better entertainment than a busy boat ramp on 4th of July.

We always stay in the middle keys, Marathon to Cudjoe, usually rent a house in Cudjoe. Don’t know much about the hotels. The Holiday Inn in Marathon is decent though. The middle keys has better food and fishing, and not quite so crazy as KW, but still plenty of oddities to keep you entertained :smiley:

quote:
I mention this because you didn't really indicate your age or what your idea of "nightlife" is.

Exactly. If you are a wild and 27, then KW is for you. If fairly laid back and 60, it’s an interesting place to spend an afternoon.

Capt. Larry Teuton

Thee joey Sirloin at outback is a really good value.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

me and my wife are 33 years old. i like to think that we travel more than most. we’ve been to paris, rome, vegas a handful of times, belize twice etc… we arent looking for a complete party experience but dont want to be bored either. we like good live entertainment. we do like good food. that is important. we live in beaufort, but frequent charleston often mainly because of the good food. if that helps at all…

204 angler
150 yamaha 4 stroke

quote:
Originally posted by reel nauti

me and my wife are 33 years old. i like to think that we travel more than most. we’ve been to paris, rome, vegas a handful of times, belize twice etc… we arent looking for a complete party experience but dont want to be bored either. we like good live entertainment. we do like good food. that is important. we live in beaufort, but frequent charleston often mainly because of the good food. if that helps at all…

204 angler
150 yamaha 4 stroke

Been a bit but I have to agree with Skinnyj on the food in KW, travel up a piece towards Homestead and there used to be a couple of fantastic low budget/hole in the wall buffet places that had almost anything you could imagine on the bar and for a little extra you could get the “chef” to cook up some choice sea fair off the menu.

If you choose KW and want some good food, catch it yourself and cook it on the beach in the picture Larry posted.

As for night life, don’t ever ever ever ever choose a boobie bar in homestead. Head to Miami for that.