Vehicles w trailers towed at Shem Creek

Have not seen this mentioned here anywhere but some folks on SCDucks were talking about a lot of vehicles with trailers were towed from Shem Creek today and tow company is charging $700 for return of vehicles

Were there really that many towed and charged that

Towed for what?

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Towed for what?

Some guy is saying for parking on private property, they making a huge ordeal out of it and figured I would see something here but nothing

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161349

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI
2008 Corvette 3LT

Southern Redfish Tour blasted off and weighed in out of Shem Creek yesterday. Lot was full by 5:30am. Absolute biggest cluster#$%& I have ever witnessed morning and afternoon. I was lucky to find a place on the side of the road where I didn’t get towed.

Not sure why you would run a tourney out of Shem. Limited parking, hell getting in/out of the creek. Do they not allow parking in the shopping center anymore? Surely can’t see $700 for a tow even though I’m sure they add some $ with a trailer attached.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Tourneys out of Shem are fine… just not Memorial Day-Labor Day. It’s always busy, but I was very concerned with the safety of the paddle boarders yesterday with the added boat traffic.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Not sure why you would run a tourney out of Shem. Limited parking, hell getting in/out of the creek. Do they not allow parking in the shopping center anymore? Surely can’t see $700 for a tow even though I’m sure they add some $ with a trailer attached.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Supposedly cars parked in the “shopping center” lot were towed. You locals better start looking at dry stacks and forget about boat landings around here. IOP is cracking down on parking and they have raised their weekend launch rates. The waterways have been crazy busy on the weekends so far this summer and it won’t get any better. As much as I hate to say it, there will be a serious accident this summer with the number of clueless folks operating big boats out there.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

We parked there on Saturday with no issue. As we were sitting in the shopping center parking lot getting gear stowed after pulling the boat around 5:45pm we had a local PD officer come by and ask if we had been one of the vehicles and trailers towed. The officer said it was $700 cash to get your trailer and vehicle from the tow company.

We were thankful that did not happen to us. We parked in the top of the lot near the bank.

Pioneer 197sf

If you look there are signs at the shopping center saying no parking of trucks and boat trailers. The Shem Creek landing gets full on any average weekend during the summer. I started putting in somewhere else since the weather got warm. Last time I was there on a weekend a couple years ago there was a young lady charging $5 to park at the bank on the corner of the shopping center lot.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

I stopped by Shem Creek at 6:30 and it was full. Shot over to Remleys and it was full. Never seen it packed out like that on a on a Friday morning.

Carolina Skiff 218 DLV
140 Suzuki

So lets say, one dozen trailers get towed and come back to the landing with no way to haul out of the creek. Fines cannot be paid until 7:00 PM. How do you untangle that can of worms at the landing? Sounds like a real safety hazard to me.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

I wasn’t one that got towed, but when I put in sometime after 1:00, there were 4 boats tied up at the ramp that had their vehicles towed. It made for a cluster for sure. One of the guys was nice enough to let me tie up to him as I went and parked the truck and trailer. There is designated trailer parking in the shopping center lot. I don’t think these guys were in the designated spots. The rub was that the towing company authorized to tow from that lot was not the towing company actually doing the towing. The legitimate towing company was pissed when they found out someone else was towing from their lot. In addition they said the fee should only be $200 or so dollars.

Anyhow, that’s the scoop I got. Don’t hold me accountable for all my facts being exactly right.

Looks like the towing company did not have a business license to work in Mount Pleasant. Should be a very nice lawsuit against them.
http://m.live5news.com/live5news/db_348384/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=5jxnS9pn

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Just wondering if the fine the towing company had to pay was more or less than they amount they collected from all the trucks and trailers they towed. Probably not, and probably not much of a deterrent if they still made a profit on their illegal tows. Hoping the lawsuits are successful for these boat owners, and it makes sure this company never thinks of doing this again. Wondering when the Town of Mt Pleasant is going to do something to help boaters who use this ramp. The parking is a joke and totally inadequate. More public boat ramps and more parking at the ramps needed, and I don’t even own a boat.

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

Looks like the towing company did not have a business license to work in Mount Pleasant. Should be a very nice lawsuit against them.
http://m.live5news.com/live5news/db_348384/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=5jxnS9pn

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

http://www.live5news.com/story/32283435/mt-pleasant-man-may-file-lawsuit-over-800-towing-charge

2012 Scout 177
Yamaha 70

In most situations, the stste regulates how much towing companies can charge per situation. I was talking with a tow truck driver several months ago who was pulling a truck out of a canal. I ask him what he charged for such a job. He told me that the state had a $400 cap on recoveries, so that was it. I have also heard in the past that charges for towing illegally parked cars was also capped, don’t remember the rate, but it was somewhere in the $100 range. I understand that they probably get a little more because the truck also has a trailer, but $7-800? I have a feeling they did more wrong other than just operating w/o a Mt. Pleasant liscense.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

There is a maximum rate for an unauthorized tow. I got towed a year ago and they tried to charge me the max rate ($175 at that time). There are several laws that towtrucks have to abide by and a mountain of paperwork they have to have in order. I went in there and demanded all of the legal paperwork (visible placard with max tow rate, need to call into police dept within hour, tow trucks signature with time of tow, authorization of person requesting tow). They fell short on their paperwork, and needless to say it cost me $0.

Now, that max rate applies to my vehicle (didn’t have a boat trailer), but I would check because $700 sounds like highway robbery.

Also note that in the City of Charleston (Not sure about Mt P), they are required to call your tow into the police department within 1 hour of towing your vehicle). You can call the police department to find the exact time they called in. They get pretty lazy. The tow truck hands you a piece of paper that says time of tow. It MUST me signed by the driver. If it’s not, have the office call him\her off the route to come back to the office to do it. If that time says something more than 1 hour earlier than police record, well, they are required by law to not charge you.

I won’t mention the tow truck company that I dealt with, but it was one of the largest in Charleston and they did not have their paperwork together. They were super pissed off about it, but they literally could only produce like 20% of the paperwork that they were LEGALLY required to. It’s not my fault if they want to tow cars illegally… There is another name for people who take cars illegally… I let them know that.

You should have seen them scrambling to get their paperwork together as I lounged on their nice leather couch with my feet up on the leather… :smiley:

Turkey’s will sodomize a caucasian. in a polite legal way of course

I was one of the ones towed along with my cousins truck and trailer it was so busy I let someone else park my truck and that’s where they parked it lol!
The company made us pay 700.00cash and we had to get it that day or it would be more. We are taking them to court along with mt.p bc the property owner didn’t give permission to tow out of the lot and they have no mt.p buissness licence. As for the fee city of mt.p doesn’t have any tow laws to regulate price but the owner of the tow company is a very bad person!!! There was a total of 10 trucks towed having to pay from 700 to 1200.00. You know how hard it is to get 700.00 on a Saturday
We may have been parked wrong but 700.00!

Mahi Magic
Charleston SC

So why is everyone reluctant to give the tow companies name? Right wrong or indifferent, they did it?