weekend fishing conditions after storm?

I had been planning on a lot of fishing this weekend since the storm should be passed by then. But with the barometric pressure increasing after the storm and all of the rain decreasing the salinity inshore, will that hurt things? Since shrimp and menhaden are already here, will they still be here after all the rain and the game fish with them? I have never thought about how fishing is right AFTER a storm- I figured one of you experienced guys would know.

I am sure someone will have better words of wisdom, but I am going with, If you don’t go you won’t know. I will be out as soon as weather lets up Saturday and a good bit Sunday. Back on the trailer for the Monday holiday.

“If you had to tell someone how good you are, then you probably aren’t that good”

02 Carolina Skiff 175 RG Honda 90 -

I was wondering the same. I live in the upstate and will be leaving Friday sometime. I’m taking the boat. Only thing I can guess is too much freshwater will be the worse thing. Just a guess. Maybe fish closer to the ocean. Regardless I’ll be out there Saturday and Sunday.

You got to go to know!! Never know

22 ft Glassmaster CC
225 Yamaha

“TAKE A KID FISHING”

I can tell you that it won’t be very good for a few days after. Water will be very muddy and currents strong. The time to fish storms is just ahead of them, it always turns on the fish, they know it’s coming and really chow down then.

But you never know. Fish when you can :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

We must of got lucky. Fish bit pretty well today. Ended up with 4 trout in the cooler. Lots of shorts. Couple reds and a flounder. I did have to leave the creek and move to better water. All on the outgoing tide after lunch. Currents and wind were both good. Never put anchor in the water. Anchor lock on the min Kota held me where I wanted to stay. Live shrimp.

Water clarity is chocolate milk. But I found a few tarpon late today!! Trying to get one in the boat tomorrow. Im excited can you tell?!?

“If you had to tell someone how good you are, then you probably aren’t that good”

Dang- I was in the wrong boat. Looked forever in PRS, broad river, chechessee, and around south beach and never saw any bait, so gave up on tarpon. Caught one undersized red and a big lady fish. Will try again today. Three for some deep hole shrimp- they were big but about 1 per cast. Got old quickly. Figure they will be back in a couple of days

Way inshore frome there. Saw rollers again this morning still no bites but all ive had so far are plugs/mirrolures. Going back this evening and tomorrow morning with chum/menhaden oil/live bait. Good bait all over back here and im seeing a lot of movement in the water. Dolphins-porpoise wtf ever you call them are not nearly as abunbdat as they have been over the summer.

Jumped 4 tarpon this morning. Sight casted to two under a brideg and pogie bombs fooled the other two. Couldnt get them out of the bridge before cut offs. The two sight casted ones broke my heart especially the last one. Those were my first non live bait tarpon and what a rush!! Solid hook up on a medium mullet pttern plug, 80lbs a few big jumps then doubled back to the brdige amd got me around the bridge pillars before I could get back around. 21 bridge over whale branch, they are large and medium sized fish. Somebody put one in a boat I cant take it anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by spanishking

Somebody put one in a boat I cant take it anymore.

I have never targeted Tarpon, just my choice. I have hooked them twice incidentally and both were so large as they jumped that I was rather relieved to see them spit the hook.

Showing my ignorance here, but why in the world would anyone want to pull one in their boat?

Nobody I know of wants to keep a Tarpon. I do however know a good many people, myself included, who spend a good bit of time and effort trying to catch one. I have jumped many here in the low counntry and have yet to make a legal catch. This morning was the closest I have ever been. Put one in the boat meant legal catch and take a picture. People used to call me crazy saying I was jumping tarpon back here.

@ S.K. …Of all my time on the water (which really wasn’t a lot) Most of the tarpon I ever saw rolling on the surface seemed to be on the Broad River from about the Laurel Bay boat ramp all the way back to the Whale Branch bridge.

I’ll be darned. I usually fish around HHI and Pinckney island. I had no idea at all that tarpon went that far up the broad River. Man, for that matter I didn’t even know that the menhaden got thick up there either.