weird dog behavior

Got my mother a lab mix puppy from a friend. 7 months old, Mild mannered , not high strung. Been there two weeks. He is destroying everything, as some young labs do. Chair cushions, rugs, buckets, etc. Ripped the screen out of the porch area twice. Weird thing is, he takes all the stuff he destroys and puts it in a pile in the middle of the front fenced yard. This am, he killed her cat and drug it up and placed it in the pile also. This is disturbing behavior. Anyone heard of this type “hoarding” by a dog before??

I haven’t, but that was entertaining as hell to read. Good luck with that one.

Separation anxiety from his old home. Dogs develop strong attachments.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

That or not enough exercise, or both. Seems he is being unsupervised and is entertaining himself! If he is being left alone to much, crate him when your Mom goes out. I had a little terrier mix that we used to leave in the garage when out. When we came home one night, he had 4 mice he had caught and piled up in the middle of the floor. He was guarding them, :smiley: and was real proud of himself!

“mild mannered” “killed her cat”???doesn’t exactly follow!! Kills the cat and you’re concerned about the hoarding behavior??
I’d agree with previous posts?.the dog needs more supervised exercise and more supervision all around.

I’m convinced being a lab lover is punishment from God for something you’ve done really wrong. For the first year, it’s their job to destroy any and everything, from chewing your trailer wires in half to gnawing the transducer off your transom. After about a year, if you haven’t killed it, you are forgiven and rewarded with a great dog. The destruction is normal. I wouldn’t worry about the cat either. Most dogs that weren’t raised around cats will kill one provided they can pry the cat off their face to do so. The trophy collecting is enteresting, especially with the cat. My labs always left the destruction where it occured.

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

“mild mannered” “killed her cat”???doesn’t exactly follow!! Kills the cat and you’re concerned about the hoarding behavior??
I’d agree with previous posts?.the dog needs more supervised exercise and more supervision all around.

THAT WAS A SHORT SYNOPSIS FROM BEGINNING TO END. SHOULD I DUMB IT DOWN FOR YOU?? WAS MILD MANNERED THE FIRST 12 DAYS AND THEN … NEVERMIND…

THERE IS ALWAYS A D’BAG IN THE CROWD

" It is what it is".

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

I’m convinced being a lab lover is punishment from God for something you’ve done really wrong. For the first year, it’s their job to destroy any and everything, from chewing your trailer wires in half to gnawing the transducer off your transom. After about a year, if you haven’t killed it, you are forgiven and rewarded with a great dog. The destruction is normal. I wouldn’t worry about the cat either. Most dogs that weren’t raised around cats will kill one provided they get pry the cat off their face to do so. The trophy collecting is enteresting, especially with the cat. My labs always left the destruction where it occured.

I see it the same way 7cs as I have had labs and have a 9 month old now. It was very interesting to me how he would collect the stuff all in the same place.

" It is what it is".

Separation anxiety, crate it, discipline it, train it and don’t leave it to it’s own will. He has no direction or job, he needs both. That or get some more cats and screen doors.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Is that spot in the yard particularly meaningful for the dog in any way? My 10 YO lab didn’t tear stuff up as a puppy, and yes i know how lucky i am, but he would leave stuff in the yard (toys, balls, sticks etc) in the spot where i typically stood to throw fetch with him.

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

…the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

quote:
He has no direction or job, he needs both

Exactly right.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Is that spot in the yard particularly meaningful for the dog in any way? My 10 YO lab didn't tear stuff up as a puppy, and yes i know how lucky i am, but he would leave stuff in the yard (toys, balls, sticks etc) in the spot where i typically stood to throw fetch with him.

My golden also makes a pile of his toys in yard in one place. Balls, sticks, pine cones, and anything else he drags up to play with. He’s never tore anything up but he would kill a cat, squirrel or rabbit in a heartbeat. That’s not unusual behavior I guess.

Capt. Larry Teuton

That dog’s got some issues all right. Sounds like a job for Cesear Milan.

j

That reminds me of a young lab we had several years ago. My Dad and I were building our screened in porch and I looked over and that son of a gun had chewed the cord in half on my brand new Hammerdrill…for a moment, I wished it would have been plugged in[:0]…

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

speaking of Cesar Millan?I used to watch that show often. He focused his training as much on the owners as he did on the dogs. His show will be back on the air next month.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/01/06/cesar-millan-doles-out-tough-love-to-distraught-dog-owners-in-an-intense-new-season-of-cesar-911-premiering-friday-feb-27-at-9-8c-on-nat-geo-wild-625210/20150106natgeowild01/

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

That or not enough exercise, or both. Seems he is being unsupervised and is entertaining himself!

Can you exercise a young lab enough?:smiley: A good dog needs a good owner that is willing to spend the extra time with them.

All most dogs have their own personality which makes being a dog owner so much fun bonding with them. I’d say you have a dog with rich personality, not “weird” behavior. As for the cat killing, I like the dog already.

Sailfish has a xlarge crate for sale in swap shop. The cat kill made me sad…

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

yeah - a dog building a pyre for a cat is just plain weird. j/k

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Sounds like a NYC protester…I think Salty has the best solution to all the worlds problems. I will try this with my toddler!

quote:
Originally posted by LunaSea83

Sounds like a NYC protester…I think Salty has the best solution to all the worlds problems. I will try this with my toddler!

Won’t work, been trying it for a while now. I’m better with dogs though.:smiley:

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne