Well, just hope this is a worthy Mushroom post

Wow, see Fred

Never mind, Inattentional blindness has crippled us all now

Sad indwed

Hey Kenny, all good. This idea came from my son. Wish I would have done this years ago.

I have said my piece. And it works or not…will see.

I’m straight up, and would not ditch you. Or anyone, just let stuff go, to old for this. Relax sir.

Had to jump back in due to the good folks, and info shared.

No need for maple, but Thanks.

NN

1 Like

Don’t let the mycelium spread here, lol.

NN

Yeah, between the deer and coons, I can’t have anything nice. Excited to see how the shroom farm goes. May have to put that on my “to do” list once I retire. We love mushrooms.

Check this out regarding Lions Mane…only 8 minutes, but interesting.

NN

Thanks for that commentary!

There’s a lot of info on the benefits of mushrooms for those suffering from depression, and a anxiety too.

Lol, hes not ready to grow those just yet

baby steps :wink:

1 Like

Well, just ran across that Joe Rogan vid and found it interesting. Possibly helping with fighting off cognitive decline in folks.

Hopefully some success.

To be honest, never gave a thought of eating a mushroom from a cow pattie.

Have not heard of the depression and anxiety part.

CBD, perhaps??

Don’t know.

NN

Its a real thing anymore. I have a friend whose son has greatly benefited from micro doses of psilocybin. Its being used to treat things like migraines and even MS ailments.

Jamming out to ELO, and, some Hall and Oates…

I’ll get back later…

Nostalgia at it’s finest…

Hey, I’ve seen online that Sweetgum logs are good for growing mushrooms. Gotta be true, right?

I have a tall one, or many, so I like that idea, but don’t wanna waist time and effort if not a good choice. Good tree to eliminate as well…

Thanks
NN

For longevity of your efforts I would use a harder wood if possible. I am sure gum trees, poplar, and willow would work, but they wont last as long as oak, maple, or even birch.

Do you have access to any old apple trees on your property?

Or get some extra plugs and start with the gum trees now, you can do more when you get different wood

Well, I looked back in the box they shipped with the plug spores and found a pamphlet with a lot of info.

Anyway I was surprised to see that Sweetgum was at top of list for shiitake. Nice!!

NN

They should flush faster in the sweetgum because it will degrade faster

Win win

Hey Glenn. If you want some Sweetgums, I have a couple in my yard you can have if you’ll come cut them down.

LOL,lot’s off folk’s would like them gone…

This is awesome because I can make use of them. And have plenty enough.

Gotta run, but added pic of shrooms and preferred log species.

NN

We clear plenty of forest to build our job sites.

I can hook you up with most species of trees.

Let me know?

Also, why hasn’t Locust been mentioned?

Black locust is generally too toxic for mushrooms, the shrooms will grow, but they absorb things not fit for human consumption. Ive heard honey locust is OK, but most growers would tell you to avoid locust for inoculation

Walnut, cherry, apple, butternut, hackberry, black locust all turns well. Walnut and cherry are hard to come by.

catching up here, lots of stuff i didn’t know and some that i did. i’m only in the wild mushroom game, but i’d love to grow some too.

BIL has done a couple kinds of oysters and shiitake on sweetgum, and he’s gotten really good at growing oysters in buckets of sawdust with holes drilled in them but i can’t remember the type of wood he used.

cool chart NN! very interesting to see that hemlock with actually grow a couple kinds of edible mushrooms, and is the sole host for the last species of Reishi.

gave some of my home cured bacon to a buddy who made grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches and cream of chanterelle soup, said it was a meal to remember! Think we will try that with the ones I picked last week since I was out of town and haven’t used them yet.

1 Like