Well, just hope this is a worthy Mushroom post

Little more info…

Shabby pics, sorry

NN

All within 30’ under live oak in full shade

1 Like

BW< please tell me what those are…besides the Chantelle.

Found first turkey tail today, but doesn’t seem to be any food value in them, other than making tea…

This looks like one in your pics.

Need some rain bad over hear.

NN

We all need the rain!

NN I have no idea what any of them are, and I’m fairly certain the chanterelle looking one isn’t actually- it had what looked like true gills under it and the structure of the caps was wrong

Your first one looks like a sulphur shelf mushroom, also called a polypore. Chicken of the woods is one, but most are inedible

I wish I had more myco knowledge, much of the above is just what I think I’ve read in books so pls feel free to correct me. Once again miss Stlhntr and his input!

Hey, BW, I appreciate the reply. I’m a rookie, so just exploring and all my supplies have arrived. Have some trees flagged and pallets in shady bottom next to creek. Waiting on some leaf drop, then the real work begins.

Looks like growing your own Chicken of the Woods is very complex/time consuming…Check this out.

NN

1 Like

Good grief, Stump. Oysters without even going to the coast, if I’m correct…

Thanks
NN

Lol… I have no idea which is why I weed whacked their azzes

Well, what is this??? It’s on a scrubby half dead oak tree. We got a good bit of rain today, so will check on it tommorrow. BW, probably not what I’m hoping…

NN

Well, I think I finally found out what it is. Hedgehog mushroom. Related to Chantelle.

Will see soon!!

Thoughts are welcome…

NN

Well I cut those shrooms off the tree and sautéed on high heat with sprinkle of salt.

Can’t explain the taste other than to say, wow!! Those little teeth turn crunchy, which makes them even better!

NN

1 Like

Woah I missed this. Never heard of hedgehog mushroom, thought first good pic was chopped up lion’s mane.

You got a good producer of a tree there!

If you were closer, I’d give you some. Did a lot of web search and no way to screw this one up.
They mostly grow on the ground, but also as shelves on trees. Awesome reviews online. They also call it sweet tooth mushroom.

Two week fridge life I’ve read…

BW, did you see the pics further up of them on the tree??

NN

I did see them, glad they are basically unmistakeable- I think I’ll remember that one too!

Thx for the offer, just glad to hear you tried and enjoyed a new kind. I’ve had my eyes out for the bright orange chickens around here but none yet.

We are supposed to be back in the 80’s by the end of the week, so I should probably think about shrimp and sheepshead, and leave the oysters and mushrooms for next month

1 Like

shiitake?

haven’t seen any wild edibles here since it got cool

Yes, those are called snowcap shitakes. They are a cool weather strain mostly fruiting in early spring and late fall/early winter. They are probably the best suited all around cold weather mushroom grown in the south, or so I am told.

That log is around 8 or 10 years old.