What are these odds?

http://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article211609889.html

i’m no snake expert but that never stopped us on here from postulating expert opinions.

fell out of tree?

I never saw one in a tree.

is there more to this story?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

i’m no snake expert but that never stopped us on here from postulating expert opinions.

fell out of tree?

I never saw one in a tree.

is there more to this story?

Now you say it peepaw, I’ve never seen a rattler in a tree? I’ll bet there is more to the story.

Anyone ever seen a rattler up a tree?

I’ve only seen one in the water. Never seen one in a tree. Maybe a bird dropped it on them. The article says it was a small rattler.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Got on a deer cam.

Can’t get the picture to upload.
Have a couple of photos of a small timber rattler in a tree. On a visit to Edisto serpentarium, they said they find quite a few diamondback in palmetto’s. They climb trees for birds and squirrels.

Family member says he picked it up

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

If it fell in my boat, I think I would try to get rid of it quick also.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Where’d you get that?

He admitted to picking the snake up . If it was in the water it was most likely an eastern diamondback. Eastern are the only rattlesnake that likes water. They do not climb trees. Even a young one has lots of powerful venom. Even with the anti venom , 3 bites to the hand could cost him his hand. This is the process of natural selection, nature getting rid of the stupid ones.

Maybe someone could PM Bill Nye, he seems to know alot about everything & is considered an expert on cow farts. I’m sure he has knowledge on high ground attack rattlers.

quote:
Originally posted by Bayrider7365

Maybe someone could PM Bill Nye, he seems to know alot about everything & is considered an expert on cow farts. I’m sure he has knowledge on high ground attack rattlers.

From bits I’m hearing from some friends of his, it did not “fall” out of a tree. and old boy miss handled the friendly snake provoking it into biting him several times. :question: To be totally honest, this is second hand information and may not be true. :question:

I’m with Natureboy, if old boy keeps his hand he’ll be lucky.

Ok, here is the asinine comment that comes to mind… “hey hold my beer!”

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Where’d you get that?

WIS in Columbia reported tonight that a family member claimed he thought it was a baby gator when he picked it up out of the water. Sounds like the gene pool needs to be thinned out anyway.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

Sounds like the gene pool needs to be thinned out anyway.

Natural selection has all but disappeared in modern times. I’m thinking you may be right on this one. Time will tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmATcGJ3uJE

RBF

In 80 years I’ve seen 2 in a tree and maybe 6 swimming,mostly in and around bluehouse swamp.Thats where our hunting club was,they built the Baptist college and Trident hospital on it ,right after 78 was paved.The biggest one I ever seen was swimming across Santee River,must have been a 10 footer,did not have a gun but I was going to try to kill it with a paddle.The guy that was with me started hyperventilating when he seen how high this snake came out the water trying to fight back,so we decided to leave him alone. I blamed my buddy for not getting the snake but I was really glad he freaked out.That thing was scary.

Dam you’re 80? I’ll try to get the others to be more respectful

quote:

RBF’s 97…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

RBF’s 97…

RBF

As in proof?

quote:
Originally posted by sman

In 80 years I’ve seen 2 in a tree and maybe 6 swimming,mostly in and around bluehouse swamp.Thats where our hunting club was,they built the Baptist college and Trident hospital on it ,right after 78 was paved.The biggest one I ever seen was swimming across Santee River,must have been a 10 footer,did not have a gun but I was going to try to kill it with a paddle.The guy that was with me started hyperventilating when he seen how high this snake came out the water trying to fight back,so we decided to leave him alone. I blamed my buddy for not getting the snake but I was really glad he freaked out.That thing was scary.

WOW! I must be close to your age. I used to hunt that area back in the early 70’s and the land that’s on the other side of I 26. I had a spot where there was a stump with a tree right behind it - like a natural made chair. Once in early deer season I was waiting there and I heard something on the ground - It was 7 or 8 baby cottonmouths and then the momma snake came out from under the stump right between my feet. I never sat so still in my life! Those woods were full of life back then!