What is your latest stock purchase?

I’ve had chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, peacocks, cows, pigs and goats. I don’t want anymore of them, unless it becomes necessary to eat. But I don’t want anyone telling me that I can’t either. That ain’t going to happen with this Cracker:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Cracker, I bought pigs last year, it turns out to be a heck of a lot cheaper to buy your pork at bilo. Buttttt home raised pork does taste a lot better if you feed them right. Luckily I have a freezer full of pork in my shop now.

But on to the stocks, I last bought coal stocks. I picked up 4,000 stocks for $0.035, I figured it could only go up from there. I was wrong, they dropped like a rock to a penny the very next day. My luck.

quote:
Originally posted by penfishn

I thought about buying a cow and a few chickens…but our neighborhood wont allow it.

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I have 14 chickens, and live in a subdivision with an HOA, in Mt.Pleasant. Out of sight, out of mind is the name of the game.

I was holding what I thought was a strong UTI but it turned out to be an STD. Now I’m riding a cycle of Ala-Tet until I get out of the red. I think I was in the wrong market.

My firearms and ammo stocks haven’t done well this week either, but much better than the Dow.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Cracker,,, I bought pigs last year, it turns out to be a heck of a lot cheaper to buy your pork at bilo.

Yes sir, you sure can. And you can buy eggs cheaper than chicken feed, and if you have to buy feed for a cow you’re better off buying a butchered cow. From a cost standpoint, unless you do it on a large scale it cost more to raise your own. Have to just enjoy doing it, and we did, for a while. Know how if I ever need to now anyway.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I havent made any purchases lately, GE in sept was the last and didnt pick up that many. Most of what I have in GE was bought near the bottom in 09.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Also for fun and not advice, take with a grain of salt

I can finally weigh in on stock, since I am no longer working as a financicial adviser. I do however still work in the business but on the risk side. I would not buy an oil etn, or oil MLP.

Etn capture all the downside but limit upside they are a debt instrument that is linked to an index. Their fees and leverage increase overtime cutting right into any profits. Mlps fire off a k1 at tax time and are tricky beasts in how they pass along profits. Now uso is a mlp packaged into etf, I don’t even want to go down the derivative road.

Skinnee,I did the bp thing last year but there were rumors last year about dividend cut in 2016 at that time due to price of oil and we are much lower now. I would buy some oil stocks if I was prepared to be long term holds. It is going to take a while to swing back.

Just remember yield is relative to stock price. Lower the market price higher the yield. Since dividend payout per share typically remains the same.

Pioneer 197sf

Oil is down today…futures look unhappy. make sure you have your hedges in place.

Pioneer 197sf

quote:
Originally posted by Cltdeerhunter

I can finally weigh in on stock, since I am no longer working as a financicial adviser. I do however still work in the business but on the risk side. I would not buy an oil etn, or oil MLP.

Etn capture all the downside but limit upside they are a debt instrument that is linked to an index. Their fees and leverage increase overtime cutting right into any profits. Mlps fire off a k1 at tax time and are tricky beasts in how they pass along profits. Now uso is a mlp packaged into etf, I don’t even want to go down the derivative road.

Skinnee,I did the bp thing last year but there were rumors last year about dividend cut in 2016 at that time due to price of oil and we are much lower now. I would buy some oil stocks if I was prepared to be long term holds. It is going to take a while to swing back.

Just remember yield is relative to stock price. Lower the market price higher the yield. Since dividend payout per share typically remains the same.

Pioneer 197sf

Yeah, in general, I stay away from ETFs too. I think they are good at capturing short term moves, but you probably don't want to hang on to them for the long term.

As far as dividends being relative to price, yes. I tend to think of it in terms of my PURCHASE price (i.s. “Cost Basis”)… So, if I buy a share of stock for $100 and they payout $6.00 each year, then I have a 6% dividend yield. If the stock goes up to $150 and they still only pay out $6.00, then the yield for new buyers is 4%. I’m still getting a 6% dividend on my money because I only paid $100 for the stock. If the dividend increases to $7.00 per share, anyone buying the stock at $150 will get a 4.67% dividend, but not me. If I bought it for $100 per share, then I now went

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by Cltdeerhunter

Pioneer 197sf

Yeah, in general, I stay away from ETFs too. I think they are good at capturing short term moves, but you probably don't want to hang on to them for the long term.

As far as dividends being relative to price, yes. I tend to think of it in terms of my PURCHASE price (i.s. “Cost Basis”)… So, if I buy a share of stock for $100 and they payout $6.00 each year, then I have a 6% dividend yield. If the stock goes up to $150 and they still only pay out $6.00, then the yield for new buyers is 4%. I’m still getting a 6% dividend on my money because I only paid $100 for the stock. If

Yep, you said you were a financial advisor. I knew you weren’t speaking directly to me. I was just adding to the discussion in general for those who don’t understand that concept. Basically elaborating on your point

I used to be a FA . Thankfully I am doing something different.

Pioneer 197sf

Most ETF’s are similar to mutual funds in that they are invested in equities. They tend to be focused on a particular theme, sector or index. The major difference is that they trade like stocks and depending on volume can be very liquid, whereas mutual funds are bought and sold based on the end of the day pricing of the underlying equities. An ETF based on the S&P 500 will price trend in much the same way as an S&P 500 index fund, but will be cheaper to buy and sell, and can be traded like a stock. The dividends paid by the underlying equities of the eft pass through just like mutual funds, and expenses are generally low.
The commodity based etf’s are not meant for long term investing because the expenses and decay really work against building long term profits, but the stock based etf’s can be held in the same way that one would hold a mutual fund with the same market based results.
I prefer stocks because you can build your own basket and weed it as needed, but etf’s can be an easier way into a sector play. For example I like REITs right now so I own 4 individual REITs and also shares of the Vanguard REIT ETF VNQ.

Oil looks like quite a roller coaster ride. If the dividend stays strong, that BP looks like a good one.

I haven’t dabbled in any single stocks yet, but took control of my mutual funds last year. I got 16% return for 2016 so far. Out of 37 available funds, most all are in the red of 6%-12%. Mine are the only ones performing.

Anyone care to guess what type of fund it is?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

something that shorts energy?

BP took a huge hit earlier this week (Tuesday). Was down 9% in one day… I bought more on the drop… “Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.”

trying to catch a falling knife euphamism comes to mind

i need an etf that shorts common sense

Precious metals mining. Low oil cost and rising metal values coupled with a sinking dollar makes better profits of overseas miners.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

trying to catch a falling knife euphamism comes to mind

i need an etf that shorts common sense

"Dollar Cost Averaging" is the polite way to say it... :smiley:

The more it falls, the higher the dividend (assuming that they don’t drop it).