What is Your Net Worth?

What is your net worth? Kiplinger defines net worth as the value in dollars of all assets less ones liabilities. So asking ones net worth is kind of a personal question; besides what does Kiplinger and ones net worth have to do with a fishing website newsletter anyhow? According to my bother Andy, net worth is defined as the number of shrimp caught in the cast net per cast on each shrimp pole. Now we are getting somewhere!

September has arrived and that means the beginning of Shrimp Bating Season here in the lowcountry. If you want a test of your sanity try shrimping with my dad and two brothers one evening. We work as team while shrimping; Dad makes the bait and helps head, Andy drives the boat, Vasco helps me shake down the net and heads, and I throw the net. The team effort works great. Most of the time when we return to the dock we have all the shrimp headed and ready to be packaged; however, this team will really get on your nerves if you let them. Just prior to throwing Vasco will make a comment like, lets get on the money, if the net is open and over the bait dad usually comments, thats a money throw, and on a good night when the shrimp are on the bait, and I am throwing well Andy follows up after he sees me dump the net with, your net worth is on the rise.

If you do not have an open net over the bait each and every time you will not have good net worth. Over the next couple of weeks many folks will be purchasing new cast net for the 2011 season. Three key elements go into selecting the proper net for shrimping: mesh size, weight, and length.

Mesh size- is simple, and is regulated by the state. All cast nets used for recreational baiting must have a mesh size of a -inch or larger.

Weight- the faster she sinks the less opportunity the shrimp the shrimp will have to swim from underneath, also the less influence from the tidal currents. I have found that three quarters to one-pound of lead per foot of lead line is ideal. There are heavier nets out there, but they will wear you out quick. Reme