Whole house generators?

Does anybody have experience with one? I’m in the market, says my wife.

After spending most of the last 2 days running on my little (5,500) Generac with extension cords run all over the house, I think I’m ready to wire one in permanently with a transfer switch. With the portable unit we can run lights, freezer, cook, TV, computer, fans, any of the small stuff. But we can’t run the well pump, the hot water heaters or the A/C units. After a couple of days, having no running water and no hot water gets old.

Our house is about 3,000SF, 2 story and total electric. 2 A/C units, 2 hot water heaters. It has a 200 amp service panel. I do have a 100 lb propane tank for heating my shop and emergency cooking. LNG is not an option here. Gas, diesel or propane are my options and I’m sure I’d have to get a larger propane tank.

Questions are what is the best brand, best fuel type and how to correctly size it. We don’t need to run everything at once so it doesn’t need to carry the entire house. If it could run 1 A/C and 1 water heater that would be plenty. Any input appreciated.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Does anybody have experience with one? I’m in the market, says my wife.

After spending most of the last 2 days running on my little (5,500) Generac with extension cords run all over the house, I think I’m ready to wire one in permanently with a transfer switch. With the portable unit we can run lights, freezer, cook, TV, computer, fans, any of the small stuff. But we can’t run the well pump, the hot water heaters or the A/C units. After a couple of days, having no running water and no hot water gets old.

Our house is about 3,000SF, 2 story and total electric. 2 A/C units, 2 hot water heaters. It has a 200 amp service panel. I do have a 100 lb propane tank for heating my shop and emergency cooking. LNG is not an option here. Gas, diesel or propane are my options and I’m sure I’d have to get a larger propane tank.

Questions are what is the best brand, best fuel type and how to correctly size it. We don’t need to run everything at once so it doesn’t need to carry the entire house. If it could run 1 A/C and 1 water heater that would be plenty. Any input appreciated.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I got a quote two years or so ago after we lost power for 3 days because of the ice. Two companies quoted me about 40K for one more hvac, wh, and a little more sqft then you’re stating. I mean that was the top end power goes off and gen fires up in 10 sec deal, but still. I got by on two gas powered 7500 guys for 3 days before. That was the second time in 34 years I’d been without power for more than 8 hours so I’m not sure it’s worth it. Now I live 1.5 hr inland from Charleston too so I have a lot less of a threat of losing power long term than those who are near the big blue pond.

You gonna talk or FISH!

Larry, back when I used to do the installs on some of the higher end homes (Daniel Island, Kiawah, Dunes West, ect.) they all used the Generac System. They have the best track record and are very easy to maintain. Customer service was second to none and they were always willing to help when needed. I haven’t installed one in over 8 years but I doubt they have gone down hill since. As far as sizing and fuel use, I can’t really help you there. Most of the units I installed were capable of handling a 200 amp service. The few that were not fed a sub-panel that energized the specific loads that the home owner decided. Cost wise, you would probably be better off buying the generator that can handle the entire service rather than having an electrician install a separate sub-panel. You can always turn off the breakers you don’t think you will be using anyway. I have been out of that game for a while now but this should at least get you pointed in the right direction. Hope this helps!

Also, you can always use the ‘back-feed’ method with a regular generator you already own and back-feed your panel through you dryer plug. Only one 10ga cord like this. This way there is no ATS(auto transfer switch) and you have to turn your main breaker off along with non-essential breakers and of course you can only use up to 5000-7000 watts or 20-30 amps. Depends on how much you want to spend really.

Fishing Nerd

“you win some, you lose some…but nothing beats getting some!”

If you use the back feed method, what happens when the outside power comes back on:question: Then you have 220 coming in both ways! Seems to me, like something has to melt, or blow!:face_with_head_bandage:

quote:
If you use the back feed method, what happens when the outside power comes back on Then you have 220 coming in both ways! Seems to me, like something has to melt, or blow

You have to throw the main breaker when using the back feed method, so you don’t run 220 back down the line and electrocute a power company worker. That’s also what a transfer switch does.

quote:
That was the second time in 34 years I'd been without power for more than 8 hours so I'm not sure it's worth it

I live out in the country at the very end of the line. Our power goes out weekly, every time it rains, thunders or the wind blows. A week at a time is not unheard of and I’m not high priority on the repair list. Mrs. Cracker is not pleased when she has to start her work day with an 0530 bath in a cold pool.

quote:
You can always turn off the breakers you don't think you will be using anyway. I have been out of that game for a while now but this should at least get you pointed in the right direction. Hope this helps!

That was my plan, turn off the breakers I don’t need. I won’t need to hire an electrician, got one next door who always has a broke boat:smiley:

Appreciate the ■■■■■■■■ everyone.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

So, you have to either drive out, to see if someone else has power back, or can you see the lights of your neighbors house:question:

Larry from an economic way to do job Safely , have a transfer sw. installed so no chance of back feed would be possible , either from
generator to power co or from power co to your generator. If someone
from power co should get hurt from a back feed coming from you they
could possibly hold you responsible. All safety requirements and isolation precautions must be in place , all situations require different installs , please seek licensed qualified person to advise/perform your specific needs/permits and get it inspected…
I sure don’t want to see you get in trouble or someone get hurt…:smiley:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I installed a Honeywell 30K generator on a house I built in Columbia, it was about $8000.00 with a transfer swith and installation. Over 8500 sf and the 30K runs the whole house with no problems.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
they all used the Generac System. They have the best track record and are very easy to maintain

I have a Generac now that we’ve used pretty hard for a least 15 years. I’m knocking on wood while I type this, but she cranks on the first pull every time. I can’t manage to keep a mower, chain saw or pressure washer running, but the little Generac has been as reliable as my Yamaha.

quote:
Most of the units I installed were capable of handling a 200 amp service.

Do you happen to recall how many watts they were? My fuzzy ohms law math tells me I need something in the 20 KW range. Any thoughts on that?

quote:
Larry from an economic way to do job Safely , have a transfer sw. installed so no chance of back feed would be possible , either from generator to power co or from power co to your generator. If someone from power co should get hurt from a back feed coming from you they could possibly hold you responsible

Absolutely!! I wired my house and my shop, and many boats and other stuff. If I do it, it will be right, and safe. My neighbor is a licensed industrial electrician for GA Pacific, he’ll keep me straight.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
I installed a Honeywell 30K generator on a house I built in Columbia, it was about $8000.00 with a transfer swith and installation. Over 8500 sf and the 30K runs the whole house with no problems.

Good info, thanks! That would make 3 of my houses[:0]

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

200amp x 240vac= 48000…That’s 100% efficiency, which no ac circuit is. Besides you’ll never have a full 200 amp load running everything in your house as long as you’re not running welding machines and compressors and 2 ovens your heat and dryer running all at the same time. If you plan to run it hard get around 40000 watt if not you can sure get away with half of that and still run your house like normal. Goes back to how much your willing to spend. And with a neighbor electrician, sounds like you’re a leg up already. Crunch your numbers and I’m sure you’ll make a bright decision!

Fishing Nerd

Cracker, check with your power company. Sometimes some of the coops have deals on units and installs.

Easy, I don’t have a transfer switch, but know power is back on when the yard light comes on. :wink:

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Easy, I don't have a transfer switch, but know power is back on when the yard light comes on. [;)

Fred, might need a new photocell in that yard light:smiley:.

Larry, is that a Co op where you are?

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

No, no co-op here. GA Power Co. They may be of some help though, my brothers wife is a VP in customer service:smiley: I’ll ask her.

I don’t have a yard light, would not own one. I like it dark at night.

quote:
200amp x 240vac= 48000...That's 100% efficiency, which no ac circuit is. Besides you'll never have a full 200 amp load running everything in your house as long as you're not running welding machines and compressors and 2 ovens your heat and dryer running all at the same time

Correct, that’s why I figured a 20 KW would do everything we need to do at any one time. I’m not an electrician, but do have a degree in electronic engineering and a state low voltage electrical license, so I’m not completely ignorant either:smiley:

quote:
So, you have to either drive out, to see if someone else has power back, or can you see the lights of your neighbors house

We usually just call each other with cell phones. I don’t want to see my neighbors lights. If I can they are too close.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

No, no co-op here. GA Power Co. They may be of some help though, my brothers wife is a VP in customer service:smiley: I’ll ask her.

You will probably be referred to “Power Services” from GPC.

Good luck with that.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:

I don’t have a yard light, would not own one. I like it dark at night.

Me too when I need it that way. Got a new LED light that I have the remote control to. Probalby should not have it as I can cut off others lights… :sunglasses: But… would never do that.

Honestly I enjoy the option to turn on or off yard lights. If the wife and I want to enjoy the night sky (or a naked walk)… off. On when I’m getting a few hours of sleep and get woken up. I like the option to see. :wink:

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

CL, any luck with this?

Thanks,
NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Haven’t done anything yet Glenn. Still researching. Looking at some solar stuff too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Solar…fancy…lol

Fishing Nerd

quote:

Haven’t done anything yet Glenn. Still researching. Looking at some solar stuff too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Considering solar too. From the numbers I've gotten the pricing is similar, but because solar obviously is designed to reduce your on grid power consumption it will pay for itself over a period of time, and give you the benefit of a whole home gen system when you need. Why spend that kind of money for something you might use 5-10x in 10 years when you could have it free and clear and it being pay you in less than 10 years?

You gonna talk or FISH!