WiFi question

If your choices were AT&T or Hughes Net which would you choose? Other then Starlink so far they’re the only two providers that seem to offer services in the area. Starlink still has waiting list and a deep pockets equipment fee charge.

Also been recommended to buy a ROKU tv and use their services. Any advice for that?

Got a neighbor that did a DIY setup with a 40’ tower but I just didn’t understand what he did since I’m not at all knowledgeable with the electronics of WiFi.

Thanks for any replies.

You have several questions here on somewhat different topics. Internet provider is one and the streaming devices/apps are another.

I’ve had ATT in the past and left them because of cost. Service was fine; rarely any drop of service in my area, Ravenel. No experience with Hughes Net, but I would think by now that signal quality should be similar. All they are doing is providing the internet signal to the house. You have to take that signal and make it usable for WIFI internet/tv inside the house.

This is very important. You want their input signal to come into your house centrally located, because that’s where you’re going to plug it into the modem. If you have it at one end of the house, the wifi signal will be weak on the other end of the house. Just avoid this headache all together and have it in the middle of the house from the beginning.

Your neighbor is doing something different. The only reason to build a 40’ tower is if you were trying to deliver wifi to your whole 3-4 acres of property or to steal wifi from someone else’s unsecured network. That’s just my thoughts; I have no idea what he’d need a 40’ tower erected for today unless he’s using HAM radio, amateur radio, just for giggles. HAM radio is unrelated to internet/streaming.

After you get the internet provider to bring a signal line to the house, what you want to do is buy a quality modem and a router. Some are one combo unit these days. ATT will rent you one or both monthly, but if you go get these at Best Buy and set it up yourself, not paying that rental fee pays for the equipment in about a year or so. The disadvantage to that is that you replace the equipment if it breaks. Yes, sometimes routers break and sometimes they last for ten years. Paying the ATT rental fee, they will come out and troubleshoot their equipment if it stops working. You have to weigh those options and do whatever you feel is in your comfort level. If you own the equipment and have connectivity issues, ATT will not troubleshoot your equipment; they will only verify that their signal coming in is good. To troubleshoot your equipment, you’d need to do your own research (youtube is your friend here), call on a nerdy friend that knows a thing or two about networks, or call a service like Geek Squad.

You want your modem and router centrally located in your house. The wifi signal will get weaker the further it is away from the router. Think of it like driving away from an FM radio station. The station is clear close to the source. The further you drive away from the radio station, the signal gets static-y and eventually gets so weak you can’t hear it any longer. They do make wifi signal repeaters, but you want to avoid those if you can. Most homes don’t need them. They work, but its just another device that you have to buy and setup. That covers the signal in and wifi through the house.

As far as the TV, it does not matter what brand you go with. When you are getting wifi, you are going to be streaming your television channels through the internet. You can get a smart TV with built in roku or hulu or sling or netflix or youtube or whatever. All of those are software applications (apps) just like smartphones. All they are is software allowing you to view television show/movie content. Some are free, but most are subscription based that you pay for.

You don’t have to have a smart tv with built in apps, although if you’re buying a new tv these days I think all of them are smart now. Some of the most common ways to stream tv is by purchasing a “stick” to plug into the HDMI port in the back of your tv. Firestick is one of the more common ones. Its basically a small device that plugs in to the tv to turn it into a smart tv. It has popular apps built into it already and you can add more to it if you want something specific (different screen savers, special weather apps, whatever). You’ll need one “stick” for every device you want to watch tv on.

It sounds daunting, but its not that bad, I promise. If you can work a smartphone, you can figure out streaming tv. If all this seems like too much, go with ATT and tell them you want all your TVs and laptops/tablets working before they leave the house.

Router:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-r7000-ac1900-wifi-router-black/1754208.p?skuId=1754208

Modem:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-32-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/4600801.p?skuId=4600801

Wifi Repeater (if needed) This is a cheap one. Figure out what you need and bump up as needed.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac750-dual-band-wi-fi-range-extender/6466528.p?skuId=6466528

Firestick
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-dolby-vision-hd-streaming-media-player-includes-tv-controls-black/6480937.p?skuId=6480937

I have heard some good things about T-Mobile’s internet service but, I’m sure it depends upon where you live.

As for routers. I put in a Net Gear Orbi mesh system a little over a year ago to power an exterior camera system. I will at times, have nearly 20 devices connected to my system and it still hums right along. I get download speeds of 233.00 and upload speeds of 11.00.

1 Like

The tower neighbor says he invested around 2k into equipment for his own WiFi system to get around rental fees. He’s a New Yorker with T-Mobile and said he needed the tower to get above most of the tree canopy to get the signal.

Got another neighbor that got me to wire the house with cat 5 wire to make it easier for an att hook up if we go with them.

Hmmmm…sounds fishy.

You won’t need cat5 going to your devices if you have good wifi.

You sure it isn’t a cb or ham antenna?

You can find me at 27.285mHz on stand-by, #3 working the Truck-Boat-Truck with the wave, breaka!

Seems like 23 gave some sound advice.

So the easiest route is call AT&T? I was told they would run their cable from the pole to the cat5 so that’s not the case?

Nm, I see where you already addressed that, ha

Its ATT’s responsibility to get the signal cable from wherever it starts to inside your house. Just tell them where you plan to have the modem/router and have them bring that cable into that room. Sometimes they’ll drill a hold in the side of the house to bring it in, sometimes it goes under the crawl space and up through the floor, and sometimes it’ll come through the attic to get to its intended destination.

Yes, the simplest route, if you don’t want to deal with anything, is to call ATT and tell them you want all your devices (computer, phone, tablet, tvs, whatever) hooked up before they leave.

Do they have AT&T corporate stores and authorized dealers stores? I found out the corporate stores give you better deals.

Thanks

Look at 23 go

1 Like

He’s a smart fella,that’s for sure.

1 Like

Good stuff from 23. If you go ATT, is that fiber to the house vs copper??

Fiber is much better, and doesn’t send lightning into your home to fry your stuff.

Most think that it’s from power company. Not so, most of the time, when fed from copper for cable, internet service, that is the cause.

It’s a grounding issue with cable. They go cheap, and charge a lot.

NN

Bay, Never go to authorized dealer,EVER

Did that with Verizon. Never again.

NN

1 Like

Me too, so does ATT have the same deal with authorized dealers? Anyone know where their corporate store is in Charleston?

Ended up getting AT&T hard wired to house with a wireless router in upstairs bedroom got a ROKU tv and for the first time in our lives we have something other to watch then antenna tv however the antenna is the only way we’ve found to watch local news. Got great cell phones services too off the WiFi. So far it’s been great!

Different streaming services offer different packages. Hulu has local channels 2, 4, 5, and 24. You can get “free” channels through various apps. If you pay for prime, there is free content associated with that, but not the latest movies. There’s another one that comes on my tv for free called “freevee” which has a lot of older shows along with newer ones and kids stuff. If you’re willing to look for it, there’s a world of content out there.

I think Sling offers local channels also, but we don’t have that. There are only a few services that provide the SEC network that I know of. Maybe its grown in the last year, but as of last year the only apps I knew of offering SEC network was Hulu and Sling. I think ESPN also offers a subscription based service. You just need to dive in and figure out what’s the best value for you.

I have Hulu on 1 and Freevee on 1 but I how do I get the local news you listed? Can you walk thru that process or pm me thanks

There’s different packages on HULU. There’s the regular (cheaper) kind with shows/content that you can select, similar to Netflix. Then there’s also HULU live tv. That’s a more expensive package. HULU with live tv has the local live news 2, 4, 5.

1 Like