You can't plant lemon seeds....

At least that’s what I was told; we’ll see though.

Step 1, obtain lemon seeds and place inside a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag. Put somewhere hot for seven to ten days. Check on it periodically and make sure the papertowel stays moist. For me, it was in the garage.

Step 2, Open ziplock bag to find if seeds have started to sprout or not. This particular batch yeilded 6 of 8 seeds good. Notice the one that actually started to “root” below the surface paper towel. If they don’t sprout after 10 days, discard and try again.

Step 3, get some good seed starting soil. Miracle Grow is good stuff.

Step 4, fill up your pot and create a 2" hole with your thumb.

Step 5, Insert sprouted lemon seed.

Step 6, Water and wait. If temperatures get around freezing, bring your plants inside.

Step 7 Grow new lemons.

Step 8, Wait about five years and you should have a plant that produces 10 to 20 lemons annually…and boy are they good. One plant produced 28 meyer lemons last year. By far, these are sweet and not nearly as tart as the grocery store lemons.

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/23sai

Oh sure, anyone can grow lemons from seeds, but what about bananas from seed? hahaha

They’re sweeter because you let them fully ripen on the tree.

I had a party tree when we lived in Florida. A sour orange root stock with Meyer lemon, Duncan grapefruit, and Honeybell orange grafted on.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Well aren’t you just a little Johnny Lemonseed.

23, I’m more into instant gratification! Don’t think I want to wait that 5 years, so supper market here I come!

When I worked claims in Yuba City, CA, many people had Meyer Lemon trees in their yards. They were fantastic. I did go to Walmart and got to Orange trees to ship home, I wish I had gotten a couple of lemon trees too. Orange trees are doing OK, no oranges yet.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

23, I’m more into instant gratification! Don’t think I want to wait that 5 years, so supper market here I come!

It’s funny. You can put one of my lemons in the fridge along side a grocery store lemon and in a week, my lemon is still bright yellow while the grocery store lemon looks shriveled up and nasty. Maybe I’m crazy, but the ones I grew myself tasted way better.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

My mother has both lemon and grapefruit trees in Savannah. Don’t know what kind they are, but the lemons are bigger than baseballs and make 100 or more every year. I’ve never seen any larger or sweeter. My Dad planted them in pots long before he died, at least 12 years ago. The plants are too big to bring inside now, she just throws sheets over them in the winter and they do great.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Cracker, you gota watch throwing sheets over things in GA[:0]

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by Easy

It’s funny. You can put one of my lemons in the fridge along side a grocery store lemon and in a week, my lemon is still bright yellow while the grocery store lemon looks shriveled up and nasty. Maybe I’m crazy, but the ones I grew myself tasted way better.

Your store bought produce is picked before it is ripe to make it through all the shipping processes. That’s why you can never beat a vine ripe tomato.

As to you being crazy?! Heck no all home grown tastes better… Well maybe not home grown herbs…:imp::wink:

SC citrus. We have a lime tree from Stan. http://mckenzie-farms.com

Send lawyers, guns, and money - The poop has hit the fan.

so you have been sitting on those seed pics for five years, waiting on the tree to mature and produce 28 lemons in one year, to post this thread? man, that’s some patience right there brother…
looks good…I’d like some of those seeds…trade for a couple of sheepclips? that or I’ll give you your lead back from last time fishing…:imp:

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

so you have been sitting on those seed pics for five years, waiting on the tree to mature and produce 28 lemons in one year, to post this thread? man, that’s some patience right there brother…
looks good…I’d like some of those seeds…trade for a couple of sheepclips? that or I’ll give you your lead back from last time fishing…:imp:

LOL, the thing that makes this special is that my dad bought and planted the original meyer lemon tree (the one in the picture with all the lemons)

Bozo, If you really want a plant, I’ve got one planted with your name on it. Let me get it going first and then you and Mrs. Bonzo can have it. They grow fantastic indoors for the first few years until it gets too big.

FYI, I also have one of the largest fig trees in the southeast in my yard if you like figs.

23, please don’t give him a fig tree. Next thing you know, Bonz will be posting pictures of himself covered with only a fig leaf! CCF, and the world isn’t ready for it:roll_eyes:

mmmmmm fresh figs.

quote:
quote:

LOL, the thing that makes this special is that my dad bought and planted the original meyer lemon tree (the one in the picture with all the lemons)

Bozo, If you really want a plant, I’ve got one planted with your name on it. Let me get it going first and then you and Mrs. Bonzo can have it. They grow fantastic indoors for the first few years until it gets too big.

FYI, I also have one of the largest fig trees in the southeast in my yard if you like figs.

knew I should have paid Mrs 23’s tab at LaHa today…thanks for the offer of a tree but I kinda like the idea of growing one from scratch myself…and figs make my hair fall out…

quote:
quote:
quote:

knew I should have paid Mrs 23’s tab at LaHa today…thanks for the offer of a tree but I kinda like the idea of growing one from scratch myself…and figs make my hair fall out…

Let this one start to sprout a few inches and I’ll get it to you. Trust me, watching lemons grow is a lesson in patience, but worth it.

TooBusy, hit me up if you want some. Literally cannot come clo

I’m coming to rob your house during the zombie apocalypse…

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Let this one start to sprout a few in

Thanks 23, but Anne loaded me up at the farmers market last week.