Your thoughts on how Charleston is growing?

I’m a little concerned with our growth lately. I’m also in the construction industry so this has meant the opportunity to work on some pretty neat projects. But when and where does it stop? Who is going to live in all those apartments up Morrison Drive? Will any locals pony up $600 per night to stay at the Bennett? What happened to our new cruise terminal? You can’t even park for free at Folly any more. Don’t get me wrong, I still love Charleston, but things are definitely different around here. I’m interested in y’alls thoughts too.

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

It sucks and then some. That coming from a Charlestonian at 57.

R. I.P. Charleston and surrounding areas.All is lost.Dam shame.

Funny you should mention this Carl. For the last 10 years or so, the wife and I have thought and talked about retiring and moving to Charleston. That is where we fish/boat, one of our kids went to college there and we have friends there, many made here on CF. We actually started looking at homes/lots a couple of years ago and in the last year, have come to the conclusion that Charleston has just become too big and too expensive. This really makes us sad because we love the area and all it has to offer but, it has become a victim of it’s own popularity. We knew waterfront or even water view was beyond our level of affordability but, housing down there is just crazy. Because of this, we have sadly shifted our sights to the Beaufort area. That is my childhood summer home, we still have some family there and while it is not cheap, it is a good bit less expensive than Charleston and, there really isn’t room for the excessive growth that is happening in Charleston.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Similar to DFreedom. Retirement is sneaking up. Had planned to split time between Charleston and Lake Murray. The kids are there and that would have been nice. Was looking at condos or a small house to go along with our small place on Lake Murray. After being in Charleston for 3 months two years ago, decided the traffic was terrible and getting worse. And the cost is crazy.

Scrapped the Chas idea, bought a bigger place on Murray. Quite happy and we visit Chas as needed. Will be down Wednesday and Thursday, already planning to hit Bowens Island for oysters and shrimp. Will do Maurice’s for lunch.

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Funny you should mention this Carl. For the last 10 years or so, the wife and I have thought and talked about retiring and moving to Charleston. That is where we fish/boat, one of our kids went to college there and we have friends there, many made here on CF. We actually started looking at homes/lots a couple of years ago and in the last year, have come to the conclusion that Charleston has just become too big and too expensive. This really makes us sad because we love the area and all it has to offer but, it has become a victim of it’s own popularity. We knew waterfront or even water view was beyond our level of affordability but, housing down there is just crazy. Because of this, we have sadly shifted our sights to the Beaufort area. That is my childhood summer home, we still have some family there and while it is not cheap, it is a good bit less expensive than Charleston and, there really isn’t room for the excessive growth that is happening in Charleston.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

ooh, Jennifer and I want an invite when you and K find that perfect spot down there…I’ll bring Peapod if he’s not still locked up…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Screw Ohio and everyone moving from there. Screw all the Johnny come latelys. I’m staying here for work until I retire. Leaving and going to Beaufort after that. The hipsters can all go pound sand too.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Screw Ohio and everyone moving from there. Screw all the Johnny come latelys. I’m staying here for work until I retire. Leaving and going to Beaufort after that. The hipsters can all go pound sand too.

You sprinkle gunpowder on your cereal this morning?

We moved to Moncks Corner from Charleston…but unfortunately as the Charleston area outgrows itself it will push this way. For now though nice and quiet. You know its coming when the news reports the drive time from Charleston.

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

You sprinkle gunpowder on your cereal this morning?

He's been painting, and uses a wide brush:smiley:. I do understand his stance on this tho.

Anyway, we don’t frequent Charleston and have a getaway place in Beaufort. We love it but, it is growing rapidly as well. Our plan is to retire there as well but, just this wknd we were there and thinking of selling out and buying some land a few miles in for hunting but close enough to fish and enjoy the coast.

I am confident that folks will realize that Charleston is saturated and more will be Beaufort bound. Just like Charleston…

NN

Seems like the places I went 10 years ago. I don’t go to now, just too (**() crowded. Plus. I feel like being nickeled and dimed to death.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

Every time I visit I remember why I don’t intend to ever move back. It’s a different place than when I grew up there.

I do completely understand why the locals down here in the islands get frustrated with all the white folks who move down from the states.

I am all for the growth in Charleston as long as they stay on the other side of the Dawhoo. Although despite the majority of people doing their best to prevent it unfortunately Edisto might end up looking like Johns Island one day.

A lot of poor decisions on Charleston’s DOT imo. When I did a lot of cell phone drive test 20 years ago it wasn’t so bad but you could tell the infrastructure was already outdated. I will only go to Charleston for family gatherings or other needed purposes. Won’t be long and it will be just like Atlanta… Goose Creek, Summerville, Hanahan, Monks corner, Jedburg, …. All will be fussed together.

The only thing that can slow this growth would be another 2007-08. imo

What gets me is the crazy stuff going on with Wetland credits. Guess when you have money and pull you can put grociery stores and villages in a marsh and pay to have the wetland put in another area.

quote:
Originally posted by Edisto82

I am all for the growth in Charleston as long as they stay on the other side of the Dawhoo. Although despite the majority of people doing their best to prevent it unfortunately Edisto might end up looking like Johns Island one day.

Oh that’s a coming too.

You and I will one day have the conversation, “don’t you remember the good ole days when Edisto had free parking?”

Folly Beach pay parking pisses me right off too…

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

A lot of poor decisions on Charleston’s DOT imo. When I did a lot of cell phone drive test 20 years ago it wasn’t so bad but you could tell the infrastructure was already outdated. I will only go to Charleston for family gatherings or other needed purposes. Won’t be long and it will be just like Atlanta… Goose Creek, Summerville, Hanahan, Monks corner, Jedburg, …. All will be fussed together.

The only thing that can slow this growth would be another 2007-08. imo

What gets me is the crazy stuff going on with Wetland credits. Guess when you have money and pull you can put grociery stores and villages in a marsh and pay to have the wetland put in another area.

Another Hugo may work for awhile as well.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edisto82

Oh that’s a coming too.

You and I will one day have the conversation, “don’t you remember the good ole days when Edisto had free parking?”

Folly Beach pay parking pisses me right off too…

While it’s no where near as bad as the Charleston beaches yet it’s definitely not the place I grew up. The below is a pic my grandfather took when he was building his second house. Aside from the old yacht club burning that is what the point looked like when I was a kid.

URL=http://s194.photobucket.com/user/billfish82/media/AA6EC7BE-6F3F-4805-98FD-48866C141035.jpeg.html]

[/URL]

Charleston isn’t the only place that is growing. Greenville is expanding…and suffering from the lack of planning and infrastructure build-out just like you folks in the low-country. Only thing is we don’t have to deal with sea level rise and the flooding issues.
Welcome to SC.

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

Stay away from Beaufort! The plague breaks out quiet often and the feds keep testing the drinking water. They are secretive about what they are looking for, something to do with space aliens.

ZX

quote:

Well, if no one from out of town moved in here, there would a severe shortage of qualified people to fill the jobs. Think I'm wrong? Find an employee from the new Volvo plant, and ask them how qualified the applicants are from the surrounding area. I have been told several times, that if Volvo knew there would be this much trouble finding qualified employees, they would have never built the plant.

As far as the growth, it was good times back in the day, land was cheap and available. If you complain about building on it, then buy it and pay the taxes. If not, someone else will come along and buy it for more, and build what they want. Good old property rights.