Your thoughts on how Charleston is growing?

It seems someone always has to come along and hurl crap. I ignore those “someones” anymore. I’m with Ricky, what’s with those Ohioans?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

You claimed that you were in touch with our education system, because your wife teaches, and your kids told you about school. I simply asked why the schools up north ranked much higher than the schools in South Cackalacky. Thanks

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/prek-12

Ok, back to Charleston growth. It will not stop anytime soon and the congestion will only get worse.

What I’d love to see is the Inland Port that was proposed a few years ago between Georgetown and Charleston. Get some of the port traffic away and things might free up a bit.

I also think that all the mass filling of Marsh areas that any “normal” person would never be able to get a permit to do because it is “wet lands” needs to stop.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

I also think that all the mass filling of Marsh areas that any “normal” person would never be able to get a permit to do because it is “wet lands” needs to stop.

Could that possibly have anything to do with neighborhoods that used to not flood, flooding lately?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

the filling in of wet lands will only get worse as EPA regulations preventing loss of wet lands get rolled back by the present administration.

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

the filling in of wet lands will only get worse as EPA regulations preventing loss of wet lands get rolled back by the present administration.

Not being a smart arse but is this fact or dem talking point? Proof?

Mass filling in of wetlands does not occur in new development and is simply a myth. Any wetland fill over 0.5 acre in size takes in excess of 18 months to permit and is avoided at all costs. Filling in of “marsh” would have zero impact to flooding.

Older neighborhoods, roads, etc were not designed to handle larger storm events. We have experienced prolonged periods of rain and large scale storm events the last few years. The wetlands are saturated unlike they have been anytime in the last 20 years. The sea level is rising. Clearly Shadowmoss and Church Creek have issues, which are due mainly to poor designs. Due to all the coverage in the P&C and news, now anyone with an inch of water on the road has major flooding problems that has never occurred and it’s all due to new development. I’m not saying some developments haven’t caused issues, there are plenty with faulty designs, but the narrative that mass wetland fills are occurring is false.

The general public needs to be educated and understand any neighborhood road built prior to 2008 was designed to handle 4"-6"
of rain in a 24 hour span. When you get large scale storm events the roads are going to have standing water. Additionally, the DOT and City, Town, County, etc. are not maintaining their drainage systems. Ditches and pipes are clogged, the water has no where to go. With all the problems in Church Creek, the City has yet to clean out the ditches, they’ve piece mealed it here and there.

The solution is to replace undersized infrastructure and maintain the drainage systems, not perform reaction maintenance after a flooding event occurs. Wide scale drainage regulations on new development have been implemented in the last 10 years and more are on the way. At first they were aimed at making the new developments to be able to handle large scale storms, now they are all focused on ensuring with certainly no adverse impacts to downstream developments.

These new regulations won’t fix the current flooding problems that exist due to undersized inf

quote:
Originally posted by Hooligan
quote:

It’s not a talking point…and the information on the current administration rolling back protections on our wetlands is fact. A quick Google search will provide all the info that you need.

quote:
Originally posted by TIGHT LINE

Mass filling in of wetlands does not occur in new development and is simply a myth. Any wetland fill over 0.5 acre in size takes in excess of 18 months to permit and is avoided at all costs. Filling in of “marsh” would have zero impact to flooding.

Older neighborhoods, roads, etc were not designed to handle larger storm events. We have experienced prolonged periods of rain and large scale storm events the last few years. The wetlands are saturated unlike they have been anytime in the last 20 years. The sea level is rising. Clearly Shadowmoss and Church Creek have issues, which are due mainly to poor designs. Due to all the coverage in the P&C and news, now anyone with an inch of water on the road has major flooding problems that has never occurred and it’s all due to new development. I’m not saying some developments haven’t caused issues, there are plenty with faulty designs, but the narrative that mass wetland fills are occurring is false.

The general public needs to be educated and understand any neighborhood road built prior to 2008 was designed to handle 4"-6"
of rain in a 24 hour span. When you get large scale storm events the roads are going to have standing water. Additionally, the DOT and City, Town, County, etc. are not maintaining their drainage systems. Ditches and pipes are clogged, the water has no where to go. With all the problems in Church Creek, the City has yet to clean out the ditches, they’ve piece mealed it here and there.

The solution is to replace undersized infrastructure and maintain the drainage systems, not perform reaction maintenance after a flooding event occurs. Wide scale drainage regulations on new development have been implemented in the last 10 years and more are on the way. At first they were aimed at making the new developments to be able to handle large scale storms, now they are all focused on e

quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s not a talking point…and the information on the current administration rolling back protections on our wetlands is fact. A quick Google search will provide all the info that you need.

I see that regulations have been stopped but what’s bad about that? What harm is being done by this? I really doubt that any changes would intentionally be made to harm our ecosystem. Of course it’s all debateable.

quote:
quote:

The solution is to replace undersized infrastructure and maintain the drainage systems, not perform reaction maintenance after a flooding event occurs. Wide scale drainage regulations on new development have been implemented in th

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see that regulations have been stopped but what’s bad about that? What harm is being done by this? I really doubt that any changes would intentionally be made to harm our ecosystem. Of course it’s all debateable.

There are many instances where man made ditches are considered wetlands or streams and can’t be cleaned or improved to help drainage problems, so not sure this is a bad thing.

quote:

The new epa stuff under trump is mostly dealing with all the idiotic fuel energy rules. This building in wet lands has been going on way before Trump started getting our jobs and economy back rolling. :smiley:. I don’t agree with all trump does but wet land filling in is not new.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:

Could that possibly have anything to do with neighborhoods that used to not flood, flooding lately?

Tight lines says this is a myth, but I don’t agree. When you fill in so many areas of wetlands and you get a major wet period the water doesn’t soak In on the new “high land” as much used to do. Instead it runs off causing flooding in areas that did not before. Of course I have no scientific proof of this just common sense reasoning.

quote:

We as a community have to start doing what is right for the public not what is right for the most vocal group and that means coming up with the funding to fix the issues. We aren’t a I dislike taxes as much as the next, but when you have neglected/failing infrastructure you need to fund its repair.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

My major complaint is that I’m not happy with the results that come from my raised taxes…don’t tell me that I need to pay for it when my hard earned money that is already taken from my paycheck is being wasted.

I miss Mt.Pleasant from when I was a kid, when if you lived in Snee Farm it was the country.

21 Contender

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Why do we rank so low? Shameful, so shameful we have our own “corridor of shame”. Please ask your wife why these schools “up north”, rank far higher than South Cackalacky …

It’s a little thing called demographics.

Did you know back in the day before they started forcing letting the ones unwilling or unable to learn move on with the smarter kids (black yellow brown purple and white) our top 10% were smarter than most across the nation?

How long ago? Can you provide a source, proving your last sentence true?
https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/my-students-know-theyre-in-charge-and-theres-nothing-i-can-do/
quote:
quote:

We as a community have to start doing what is right for the public not what is right for the most vocal group and that means coming up with the funding to fix the issues. We aren’t a I dislike taxes as much as the next, but when you have neglected/failing infrastructure you need to fund its repair.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

My major complaint is that I’m not happy with the results that come from my raised taxes…don’t tell me that I need to pay for it when my hard earned money that is already taken from my paycheck is being wasted.

I agree 100%

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tight lines says this is a myth, but I don’t agree. When you fill in so many areas of wetlands and you get a major wet period the water doesn’t soak In on the new “high land” as much used to do. Instead it runs off causing flooding in areas that did not before. Of course I have no scientific proof of this just common sense reasoning.

Where is this wetland fill occurring? It is highly regulated and flat out isn’t happening today. Fill within floodplains does occur and is beginning to be regulated and mitigated for.

My grandparents have lived in their house since the 50’s, up until 4 years ago it had never flooded. There is no development around it, yet it flooded twice in a three year span. The recent weather is a major contributing factor.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where is this wetland fill occurring? It is highly regulated and flat out isn’t happening today. Fill within floodplains does occur and is beginning to be regulated and mitigated for.

My grandparents have lived in their house since the 50’s, up until 4 years ago it had never flooded. There is no development around it, yet it flooded