April 16 Edisto Robberies

I just saw on Facebook an announcement that 5 suspects from outside of Edisto were arrested today for a series of robberies on Edisto Beach on April 16.Cell phoes,jewelry,checks,and some cash were among items stolen from cars at 5 separate locations during early morning hours on this date.Also, in one instance a resident of one of the houses saw someone going through a car and yelled.The thief pulled a gun and fire several shots striking a residence.Scary stuff for sleepy old Edisto.

Did you also read how they caught them?

There’s a license plate scanner at the entrance to the beach. I saw it on right side of road, right before Jungle road, it’s on a post.

Clear violation of our 4th Amendment and an invasion of every one of our privacy.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Public road??

quote:
Originally posted by Reeldawg

Public road??

Does it matter?

It would be okay (kinda) if there was some oversight as to what happens with the data that is collected.

As of now, joe blow hacker could get in there and tell where I’ve been. Of course the “if you’re not doing anything wrong” argument will come out, but it’s irrelevant in this case.

Are you okay with this just in case one time out of 2,000,000 it catches a perp?

Wadmalaw native

It’s just a traffic camera. Nothing special

What if that 1 out of 2 mil would been a perp that murdered your family, would you been okay with them using it to catch them then?
I don’t like the gov spying on me any more then the next guy but if they going to do it anyway at least something good came from it this time.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

Public road??

Does it matter?

It would be okay (kinda) if there was some oversight as to what happens with the data that is collected.

As of now, joe blow hacker could get in there and tell where I’ve been. Of course the “if you’re not doing anything wrong” argument will come out, but it’s irrelevant in this case.

Are you okay with this just in case one time out of 2,000,000 it catches a perp?

Wadmalaw native

I don’t like it anymore then the next guy. I can see those cameras at intersection and most places have signs. Part of life now. But just like most programs, government and private, the ideas are good it’s the management of said idea that fails us time and time again.

The tag reading camera was just one piece of evidence.At least 1 thief tried cashing a check out of state and that led to his identy being known.Good work by Edisto PD in this one.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

Public road??

Does it matter?

Wadmalaw native

You got a smart phone? That would give someone much better information on where you have been. And we all know the Government can break any security code and hack into one at anytime. I’m sure many civilians can do the same.

If the scanner helped our L.E. to catch a criminal, COOL! I’ve never really worried who knows where I am. All anyone would have to do was ask me.

“Why Bruce?”

As long as you are not doing anything wrong, why would you care if its in place to catch the people who are doing something wrong…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

How is a machine doing something any police officers with two eyes and and a laptop can do a violation of the 4th amendment? The machine just does it more efficiently.

Our jails are full of people who had their rights violated. Cops can pretty much do whatever they want as long as they have something to charge you with when it’s all over.

you would have to be an idiot to target the beach part of Edisto for your crime spree. One road in and out with a camera. Then again, most petty criminals are not known for being overly bright.

quote:
Originally posted by Fortunate Son

you would have to be an idiot to target the beach part of Edisto for your crime spree. One road in and out with a camera. Then again, most petty criminals are not known for being overly bright.

No doubt.

“Why Bruce?”

How about when the morons tried robbing enterprise bank in the 90s. Cops just parked on the bridge and waited.

If I catch some one robbing me again the only rights they will have is there last rights by a preacher!

quote:

Our jails are full of people who had their rights violated. Cops can pretty much do whatever they want as long as they have something to charge you with when it’s all over.

Why is it that people who claim to have riots violated, experience police brutality or are falsely accused of breaking the law seem to have these things happen to them a lot more often than society in general? Maybe there’s a reason some people have more run ins with L E…

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

Well someone is still at it. Vacationing down here now and someone stole a 9mm from my truck lastnight.

2005 Sea Chaser 1950CC
115 Suzuki

Well someone is still at it. Vacationing down here now and someone stole a 9mm from my truck lastnight.

2005 Sea Chaser 1950CC
115 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Zig

2005 Sea Chaser 1950CC
115 Suzuki

Hope you had your serial number recorded to give to the law. I had a pistol taken out of my truck and had it returned in three days. Never used to lock any of my vehicles which has now changed. Mine was taken by two kids riding the countryside in the wee hours and checking for unlocked doors. Little bastards got caught with a car full of evidence.

“Why Bruce?”