BIG TROUT - UDC - 10/23/12

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike

“really fritz, ur an idiot. there is no benefits of releasing a 20 plus inch trout, do u homework and then u cant bi*ch. trout are super plentiful and lay eggs when they are 8 inch fish. releasing a big red and trying not to hurt him/her i understand completly, because it is a law.”

This is a sad statement for alot of reasons…

1.) NOBODY and I mean NOBODY bashed him for keeping them. We just stated the benifits of release… not one ounce of bashing in either fritz’s or my post, or any of the others.

2.) The fact that apparently the Law is the only reason you throw big reds back…

3.) you tell fritz to do homework, when all you did was skim the top… you should read a little deeper if you want to “educate” fritz on the viability of breeding fish. Alot of fish can drop eggs at an early age, but those eggs are not as Viable as the eggs of an older more mature female… conversely there will be a tipping point at which that fishes advanced age can hinder the viability of eggs… Not to even mention the genetic superiority of a fish that has managed to live that long with two hard winters under her belt. That alone makes her worth wanting to replicate. but then again you did your homework so I guess you knew all this…

Like I said, Steve killed a big fish… I wouldn’t have, but it wasn’t my charter, and nothing wrong was done. We were simply stating the benefits of release for the other people that will read this… there is nothing wrong with what happened here… and nobody is “bashing” him…

I’m with fritz, there is a very thin line on who is “crying” on this thread

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

Sorry, I was distracted by your snot bubble. [img]https://sylverblaque.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/crying-kid-with

nice catch, I only keep trout 20" and above.

any captain that says you shouldnt keep a legal fish needs to find other work

quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh

since when did a 22" trout become a “big” trout!

Since we had 2 cold winters of trout kills. What's the biggest one you caught this year? Not in a pond

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

quote:
Originally posted by heartofthesun

Another brilliant post. Think about this statement you just made. I guess we can just assume there are plenty of fish in the ocean and we should and could keep every legal fish we catch. Over fishing is just a myth dreamed up by evil scientists. And Captains that always kill every legal fish they catch will be the ones "looking for other work" eventually as you say.

This statement is on my website:
Captain Fritz is a dedicated angler, as well as a dedicated conservationist, the fish you RELEASE today are the ones you CATCH tomorrow.

IF you can’t understand that then we will have to agree to disagree. As a fishing guide there are MANY benefits to releasing fish. For recreational anglers with a “kill it and grill it” attitude you will never understand the benefits until you change that mindset. I wonder if these same people that keep every legal fish they catch " because they can" would shoot 4 point deer and smaller when hunting, after all, it’s legal.

Now after typing all of that out I will steal a schtick of someone else on this website and end this post by saying, I don’t want to argue about it. Do what you want and I will never bring up this discussion again. :imp:

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

I sure have learned a lot here.

If all the inshore captains that favor catch and release on legal fish need to find other work…only UDC would be in bidness.

emotion trumps science and reasonable thought on this site every time.

400 bucks can go a long way at the local fish house. The reason for booking a guided trip is far from filling a freezer.

xHCFCx

Here’s my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free

A wise fisherman I know once said “A fish is too valuable to be caught only once”

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

I say what I say to get ya’ll going. what makes you think buying from a fish house is any diff?

quote:
Originally posted by StretchArmStrong

The reason for booking a guided trip is far from filling a freezer.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

bingo…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72
quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh

since when did a 22" trout become a “big” trout!

Since we had 2 cold winters of trout kills. What's the biggest one you caught this year? Not in a pond

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

biggest one this year-24", last day i trout fished the average size was 20".I do not fish in ponds , but it would seem to me that those fish would be more susceptable to cold weather than a fish in the ocean.

last year was a long way from being a “cold” winter by the way.

That’s a pretty (**() good trout flyinghigh! I often think about that in ponds bit I’ve seen small tarpon and huge redfish and big azz trout in ponds. On a pond on JI ive seen a 30"+ trout and reds Sutton together but no fisjin pole because I only fish freshwater pond bass.
I also realise last winter wasn’t cold. I was here. I was referring to the 2 previous winters, in my post it didn’t say this past winter.

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

“The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isnt someone elses gift to you?” Lee Wulff

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

Again nothing wrong with keeping the fish, but this post has opened up a whole other can-o-worms. Are most fishermen and people on this website this ignorant?? I just thought we should and would all be focused on conservation of our resource at this point. To say conservation and education isnt needed is just idiotic. Another point for we are $#$%ed

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:
Originally posted by heartofthesun

Another brilliant post. Think about this statement you just made. I guess we can just assume there are plenty of fish in the ocean and we should and could keep every legal fish we catch. Over fishing is just a myth dreamed up by evil scientists. And Captains that always kill every legal fish they catch will be the ones "looking for other work" eventually as you say.

This statement is on my website:
Captain Fritz is a dedicated angler, as well as a dedicated conservationist, the fish you RELEASE today are the ones you CATCH tomorrow.

IF you can’t understand that then we will have to agree to disagree. As a fishing guide there are MANY benefits to releasing fish. For recreational anglers with a “kill it and grill it” attitude you will never understand the benefits until you change that mindset. I wonder if these same people that keep every legal fish they catch " because they can" would shoot 4 point deer and smaller when hunting, after all, it’s legal.

Now after typing all of that out I will steal a schtick of someone else on this website and end this post by saying, I don’t want to argue about it. Do what you want and I will never bring up this discussion again. :imp:

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

…No

When you force a schtick it loses some of it’s luster. And when a comment goes over your head you just look silly

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

What are these “trout” I keep reading so much about?

catch and release is great!!! releasing foul hooked fish is wasteful! I love to fish! I love to eat what I catch! Commercial fishing should be limited ! Common sense does not exist anymore in regs!!
Consider these things
1. Are there more and more porpoises eating the young reds?? This seems so to me!!! I think they(porps) should follow the mullet and menhaden instead of eating most of the underslot reds.These marine mammals are at bulls bay eating all the time…The huge quantity of reds keep them here…These foolish limits are feeding the porpoises an easy meal and screwing the individual seeking some fresh seafood.

2. I go for reds..trout and flounder 5 or 6 times a year both for food and enjoyment...These stupid limits make me sick!!And common sense shows that I have to catch 15 to keep 3(reds)...I use the circle hooks to help prevent harming the released fish..Still 1/2 of the released fish wont make it!!so I wind up killing 9 to keep 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHANGING THE LIMITS TO 6 PER PERSON  12" TO 27" WOULD RESULT IN MUCH BETTER CONSERVATION AND MAKE SENSE(COMMON SENSE).

I have always followed the limit rules as opposed to being responsible and doing what is right…Have never been checked by DNR!!! The reason I follow the rules is because they have guns and the power to take your boat,car etc,and even your life!!

The officers arent the problem(just a profession for them) .

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW WE COULD ACCEPT SUCH STUPID RULES IN THE NAME OF CONSERVATION…

another post based on “I should be able to” instead, of science in regards to the quarry sought out.

If you’re catching that many out of slot fish: The answer is that the slot limit is working and it cannot be written more boldly that you are fishing in an area that is often fished.

If you’re not familiar with the mortality rate on a released fish, or one that has swallowed the hook and been released with the leader cut, you should probably send our resident biologist barbawang on here a pm…his insight benefits even the most seasoned fisherman. your numbers are a little off.

reds are much less nomadic than any of our inshore fish. their habit of “by the clock” schooling in certain areas, on certain structures, on certain tides, really puts them in the worst position out of any fish that swims in these waters to be caught (time and again).

but this is about trout…I think? I’m not sure anymore…sounds like an argument with my girlfriend…starts in one place and ends up in outer space.

and we don’t have porpoises…we have dolphins.

xHCFCx

quote:
Originally posted by StretchArmStrong

another post based on “I should be able to” instead, of science in regards to the quarry sought out.

If you’re catching that many out of slot fish: The answer is that the slot limit is working and it cannot be written more boldly that you are fishing in an area that is often fished.

If you’re not familiar with the mortality rate on a released fish, or one that has swallowed the hook and been released with the leader cut, you should probably send our resident biologist barbawang on here a pm…his insight benefits even the most seasoned fisherman. your numbers are a little off.

reds are much less nomadic than any of our inshore fish. their habit of “by the clock” schooling in certain areas, on certain structures, on certain tides, really puts them in the worst position out of any fish that swims in these waters to be caught (time and again).

but this is about trout…I think? I’m not sure anymore…sounds like an argument with my girlfriend…starts in one place and ends up in outer space.

and we don’t have porpoises…we have dolphins.

xHCFCx

DOLPHINS ARE FISH PORPOISES ARE MAMMALS BUT FLIPPER WAS A DOLPHIN AND A MAMMAL SO I GUESS YOU ARE RIGHT…MY POINT IS THAT THEY ARE ABUNDANT AND EATING INSHORE A LOT WHICH SHOWS AN ABUNDANCE OF GAMEFISH… REDS STAY WITHIN 6 MILES OF HATCHING PLACE UNTIL THEY MIGRATE OFFSHORE ALL REDS WE KEEP ARE LOCALS(SCIENCE)
TROUT AND FLOUNDER THAT WE CATCH MIGRATE UP AND DOWN THE COAST(SCIENCE).MY POINT HERE IS THAT NO MATTER WHAT WE DO OTHER STATES REGS ALSO AFFECT THE POPULATION…
i APPRECIATE ALL COMMENTS AND AM ALWAYS WILLING TO LEARN…BUT , A NERD BIOLOGIST WITH THEORIES AND AN AGENDA WILL NEVER REPLACE EXPERIENCE IN THE REAL WORLD…I HAVE BEEN FISHING ALL MY LIFE AND KNOW FOR CERTAIN IF A HOOKED FISH IS LIKELY OR NOT TO SURVIVE

Dolphins are natural predators. They deserve to he here as much as your or I. And I think you need some bigger circle hooks…

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc