BIG TROUT - UDC - 10/23/12

quote:
Originally posted by StretchArmStrong [b ).

sounds like an argument with my girlfriend…starts in one place and ends up in outer space.

and we don’t have porpoises…we have dolphins.

xHCFCx

Here’s my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free

…and stretch…now you Know that no matter where the argument starts or where you “think” it ends…
We women always win…even of we have to wait for you guys to go to sleep or walk out of a room to have the last word:smiley:

Funny thing about dolphin/porpoises…we grew up calling them porpoises too and it’s still hard for me to call them dolphns:smiley:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72

Dolphins are natural predators. They deserve to he here as much as your or I. And I think you need some bigger circle hooks…

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

Yes the dolphins deserve to be here on earth and should compete fairly with us…When we create an abundance of fish they will stay in that area until it is not easy to catch more…The commercial fisherman destroying hundreds of thousands of big reds is what crippled the red population…

dolphins can move on and follow the fish…my little boat limits me where I can go. LOOK!! i am not blaming anything on the dolphins it is just silly for me believ that they take less than us,and why should I feed them by keeping only 3 between 15 and 23??? require fishermen who fish for food and pleasure to keep the first 6 between 12 and 27 inches…There are no rules on how many you can release or fowl hook and kill…Makes more sense to me!

As for the hooks I use a 2/0offset circle…catch some flounder also…going any bigger would really limit the flounder…

Looks to me like there are at least 100 times more reds than flounder or trout out there!! The limits have no relation to population!!! Then why are the limits like they are???

Could it be that reds are great fighters and guides make a lot by having it easy to impress novices and their(guides) influence controls limits???
The current limits on reds make no sense to someone that likes to eat them,but plenty of sense to those who make money catching them…Or is there something I am missing???

AGAIN,keeping 6 from 12 to 27 would increase the population but you must keep the first six period.For those of you who believe that you should release all of them,wake up!!!I have been many times and caught

Every time someone responds to this thread, an angel dies. At this rate, we’re all going to hell.

It is demonic. Repent. Turn back. Do it for the children.

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

The reason for the slot on Redfish is that they can live for 40 years, but cannot reproduce until they are 4 years old. Before there were limits, I released the big ones because they were mushy and full of worms anyway. We didn’t know we were being conservationists. We couldn’t even spell it.

Paul Prudhomme made blackened Redfish popular, and the commercial guys went crazy and almost wiped them out.

On another subject, we call Bottle-nosed Dolphin Porpoises because we catch a fish offshore called a Dolphin (known to most non-SC people as Mahi Mahi). Restaurants don’t want to put Dolphin on the menu because people will think they are eating “Flipper”.

Capt. Steve Fralin
Ugly Ducklin Charters
The Longest Established Inshore Fishing Guide at Edisto
Edisto Island, SC 29438
843-869-1580
843-908-2071
http://www.edistofishingcharters.com

OFFSET CIRCLE HOOKS REASON FOR GUT HOOKS.See I can use CAPS too. Bit that is why your git hooking and killing fish, don’t blame dolphins

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

^^^ LOL.
I LOVE this thread. Might not have to turn on the tv tonight.

If we’re going to talk about the conservation of our coastal ecosystem and the sustainability of our beloved fish I’ve got just a couple of questions.

Just a hypothetical situation here but what do yal think would happen if we quit fishing for a year or 5 or 10?
Do you think the ecosystem would return to the state it was at 5 or 10 years ago? Would it be out of balance?
How out of balance is it now?
If the fuel prices go up and no body fishes for a year or so what will the bottom fishing be like off our coast? Will the lionfish and bsbs take over?
What about baitfish and shrimp? How much of an impact do yal think shrimp boats have on the ecosystem(how many pounds of shrimp and baitfish do we bring in a year that could be feeding our gamefish)?
What if we started a dolphin tag auction like we have for gators so the redfish, trout etc can gain some numbers?
You guys ever seen the wolf vs sheep model http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/models/WolfSheepPredation?
Which is more susceptible to over-fishing SC’s bottom ecosystem, our estuaries, or the offshore top waters?
How does the weather seem to know when I have days off?
How much do we actually know about SC’s offshore bottom ecosystems’ health? What do we do if we aren’t sure about the answer?
What happened to all the hardhead catfish and pompano?
What happened to all the fishing reports and pictures and helpful tips and info this site used to have?
Should we should be required to post something we learned and ask a question on every thread?

and…Discuss

My whole point was catching a fish just to take a picture with it is stupid. Think of all the fishing guides catching and releasing 30-60 fish. How many of these released fish actually live? They go back in the water in a horribly weakened state. Many predator fish probably have a field day on released fish. Its a good theory…I just wished people would fish to eat and all the yahoo rich guys who want to post a picture on facebook would go away and leave this “sport” to real fisherman. Fish were put on earth to eat…not for taking family photos…Continue on…lets go for 6 pages.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72

OFFSET CIRCLE HOOKS REASON FOR GUT HOOKS.See I can use CAPS too. Bit that is why your git hooking and killing fish, don’t blame dolphins

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

JUST TRYING TO GET SOMEONE TO ADMIT THEY ALSO KILL AND RELEASE TO DIE AND A 6 FISH LIMIT 27 OR LESS WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE FISH BUT I GUESS THE RELEASE GUYS WONT EVER ADMIT IT. DONE DONE DONE

Hold on a sec. So if so many fish die after being released shouldn’t we notify DNR and tell them to stop tagging fish? Pretty sure a fish has a better chance for survival going back in the water then in the fryer. How long did you have to swim after the fish you let go to watch them die?

That said I generally leave the fish I release in the water except on the rare occasion I feel I need to update my profile pic. or impress someone. And yeah I suppose you could tag a fish in the water, but I can assure you that plenty of competent marine biologists pick up fish out the water and toss them back all the time with out any worries.

quote:
Originally posted by toppyblue

The limits have no relation to population

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

if not then how do you suggest limits be established?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:

THIS is the full quote--"Looks to me like there are at least 100 times more reds than flounder or trout out there!! The limits have no relation to population!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then why are the limits like they are?????"""

Increase the red limit and decrease the flounder and trout limits would seem the direction to go. But I believe that the migrations of trout and flounder makes this more complicated.I have no definitive reccomendation on establishing new trout and flounder limits.Stopping the raping by gigging might help with flounder.I really do not know about these two species.
I do have reccomendations about reds.

1.Bull reds school off the coast and school up to lay eggs and are easy prey for off and near shore raping…restrictions here are most effective for preserving populations.
2. I believe that Texas and Florida have red nurseries.Seems like s.c. sportsmen would look into these programs for consideration.

3.Here are my red limit reccomendations:
a.Limit to 6 fish between 12 and 27 inches - This limit applies to keeping and releasing…No more than six fish allowed to be hooked…period.
b.Have one tag per licensee which allows the keeping of one red for trophy mounting purposes.One allowed per licensee per life.

I know , I know , how would you enforce such limits??? If you decide to keep a bull red(to mount)you must have the tag with you and

I copied this from Facebook:

Gary Dubiel
A spotted seatrout I tagged on 1/20/12 in Dawson at 12.5" was caught on 10/25/12 in Queens Creek at 18". Fish was healthy and “silvery like he came straight from the ocean” according to the guy that returned the tag.

Bob Sanders
www.trouttrick.com
FishingWithBob
Big Fork Farms LLC
Real Estate Sales
803-300-2780
803-259-1374
bob@fishingwithbob.com
www.fishingwithbob.com
www.southcarolinalandonline.com

Dang zombie trouts.

right cooper river

19’ cc Mako
150 yammy
Bottomz up

Capt. Graham Hegamyer
Southern Tail Charters
Light-Tackle Inshore
www.SouthernTailCharters.com
www.RogueWaterChapters.com -

I don’t read the Capt’s Report myself so I am glad you posted it here. Nice trout and congrats to your client.

I think Cracker Larry was spot on as is his norm.

Keep posting, IMO

NN

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:

THIS is the full quote--"Looks to me like there are at least 100 times more reds than flounder or trout out there!! The limits have no relation to population!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then why are the limits like they are?????"""

Increase the red limit and decrease the flounder and trout limits would seem the direction to go. But I believe that the migrations of trout and flounder makes this more complicated.I have no definitive reccomendation on establishing new trout and flounder limits.Stopping the raping by gigging might help with flounder.I really do not know about these two species.
I do have reccomendations about reds.

1.Bull reds school off the coast and school up to lay eggs and are easy prey for off and near shore raping…restrictions here are most effective for preserving populations.
2. I believe that Texas and Florida have red nurseries.Seems like s.c. sportsmen would look into these programs for consideration.

3.Here are my red limit reccomendations:
a.Limit to 6 fish between 12 and 27 inches - This limit applies to keeping and releasing…No more than six fish allowed to be hooked…period.
b.Have one tag per licensee which allows the keeping of one red for trophy mounting purpose

I might ad…Although I practice catch and release on all redfish and most trout and flounder. The trout and flounder I do keep taste mighty good.