Cool stuff around our world

Employee of the Month

I know, I know, I’m partial to Border Collies…
Can’t help it, just like dogs.

1 Like

Got to be a fallen electrical wire don’t it?

Sad but amazing to see that strong memory returns

Border Collie Dog breaking in Cattle

That is the Jacksonboro Light! Go at Night. From your location, go south on 17, then turn north on to Parkers Ferry Road, go about 2 miles or so and Turn around at a church on your right, in the turn, this very important, make sure to flash your headlights twice at the church. Then head back south back towards 17approx 1/2 mile on Parkers Ferry Rd. Pull over to the shoulder of the road and turn off your engine and lights. And wait. Be patient. A light will appear in the distance. It may disappear but it will reappear much closer. You’ll get goose bumps, the hair on your arm will stand up like on Joe Bidens legs. If you’re lucky it’ll bounce off your hood(the light) and chase you down the road. If you’re in a truck the light will land the bed of your truck and you’ll have to speed back to 17 to get rid of it.

I think there’s a place nearby for Snipe Hunting as well.

Hahahaha…
Was supposed to take the grandkids snipe hunting last Saturday. But I told them it was too cold and they wouldn’t be out. So now we’re going to go this Saturday night…

Wow… that’s was in your age range and a tad in mine… swear I saw it a couple of times???

church on right is gone… got to go to church on right (hopewell baptist) and like you said flash lights, but also go up and knock on church door for extra light action.

1 Like

I forgot about knocking on the church door for the enhanced light show. I’m pretty sure I went and saw it twice. It never really got that close. Probably because we were too chicken to get out the car in the middle of the night and knock on the church. Other friends on other occasions saw it closer and dance around and veer over to the woods on the right and other weird maneuvers. My wife’s cousin was dating the younger Upchurch brother and if I remember right they swore it got in the bed of his pickup and they hauled azz back to 17 and the light never left the bed of the truck until they got back to 17. Some say its swamp gas, other explanations say that it’s only a mirage from headlights on Parkers Ferry Road from on the south side of 17 and maybe heat off of Hwy 17 causes the distortion.

Bay, what Fred said, you got to get out of the car and knock on a tree near where the church used to be in order to raise the spirit. Can’t remember if there was a cemetery near the church or not. Also, Bay, make sure to drink copious amounts of beer while waiting on the light in order to further enhance your visual experience. Don’t litter, throw all your empty beer cans(or bottles) into the bed of your truck.

Hey. make sure that they get the snipe call down right. If they hear the snipe call “snipe” they have to reply back “snipe-it, snipe-it” and don’t leave that hole in ground where the snipe comes out.

Related thought, my grandmother used to cook up some really great marsh hen and gravy with rice. I loved it. They always seemed to have a slight, some say fishy flavor to it. I never noticed it. I was dating my future wife at the time. She always noticed it if I picked her up after eating mama’s marsh hens.

The only thing I was ever given to catch the snipe with was a paper bag. It’s a good thing no snipes ever came out of that hole because I never thought that paper bag was strong enough to hold one.

I lot more houses on that road now and much more traffic, but back in the day I’ve seen the “light”. Only once did it come close, maybe a hundred yards and went out. My brother always told me about “someone” who had the paint blistered on their hood by it. ??? Last time I tried to see it was in the early 90’s with the wife and saw nothing.

1 Like

Parker’s Ferry sounds a lot like DeCoursey Bridge

http://www.jesterbear.com/Hoodoo/BigLizz.html

Fripp if you go take copious amounts of skeeter repellent worse place on earth for skeeters and noseeums

1 Like

Thanks Fred. Those are both pretty neat articles. Good information. I always think about the open mausoleum on the way to Edisto and started thinking about it while reading the first article before getting to that section of the article I remember hearing about someone’s car hood paint getting blistered too back then.

I’ll make sure to take some spray paint too…

…so as to enhance my visual experience

So you won’t be embarrassed this is what the locals use

Glow in the dark! Cool man!!