Cool stuff around our world

Old Hemp (1 September 1893 – May 1901) was a stud dog considered to be the progenitor to the Border Collie breed. He was owned by Adam Telfer, and was used as a working dog to herd sheep. His style was different from that commonly seen during his era, as he worked far more quietly than the other sheepdogs of the time. This style was adopted and used by other breeders and trainers and became the most common style among Border Collies within a few generations, with his descendants becoming successful international sheepdog champions.

“Shepherds follow the links,
sweet turf studded with thrift;
fell-born men of precise instep
leading demure dogs
from Tweed and Till and Teviotdale,
with hair combed back from the muzzle,
dogs from Redesdale and Coquetdale
taught by Wilson or Telfer.
Their teeth are white as birch,
slow under black fringe
of silent, accurate lips.”

From Briggflatts by Basil Bunting (1966)

Not a good picture, but Amelia on the left, my first Border Collie girl looked almost to be the spitting image of “Old Hemp”. She and her brother were papered with ABCA showing lineage back to Scotland. She was the smartest most athletic dog I ever had. She left us in 2018 at the age of 16 1/2.

Her littermate brother Roscoe on the right.(above)

IMG_053115690
Amelia on the right with adoptive rescue brother Skye on the left

2 Likes

We had a dog just like that back in 1960. Best squirrel dog ever. She would wait on me at the bus stop every day ready to go.

Can’t remember I think that was Japan.

Tijuana
Thanksgiving Day 1982 Korea on the DMZ

This is what happens when the officers and the staff NCO leave Marines unattended.

This is why I need hearing aids.

1 Like

Thank You for Your Service Craig. Few people have the fortitude to be a Marine. And being on the 38th parallel in Korea, from what friends have told me is just like being in a war zone. North Korean infiltrators were always a threat. Never know when a crazy North Korean might try to kill you with an axe or any other weapon. Brutal North Korean soldiers tied up and executed scores of American POWs during their invasion of the South in June 1950.

Amelia had a passion for squirrels! My current Border Collie girl is obsessed with those tree rats too!

Gator whisperer. He better watch out his chicken neck doesn’t get nipped!

knew the guy who started alligator adventure in myrtle, he would get nutria carcasses from eradication efforts down in the gulf for next to nothing and do gator feeding shows.

one day he was talking to a school group with a nutria in his hand behind his back at the top of the fence, and a hungry lizard jumped high enough to take it out of his hand… along with the tip of his index finger. he played it cool enough to pass off the school group and drive himself to the doctor to sew the remaining skin over the tip.

I’d have probably gone after the missing piece first.

OTC was that y’all jousting? LOL

thanks for sharing. lotta folks don’t want to talk about those type of life experiences and I get it. I think it’s important to hear about the way things were if a person is willing to talk about it though. I had just turned 1 year old when you were eating out of a can for Thanksgiving. thank you for your service!

1 Like

@StumpNocker might like one

Susanna Hoffs turned 64 this week

1 Like

My Wife loves the Bangles. She sure does look fantastic for 64!

that’s a tear jerker. Beautiful!! Why our kids have to get cancer is beyond my comprehension. I scared Joe’s time is running short… I sure hope he keeps his promise to cure cancer.

Bringing your whining and crying over here. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
OVER AND OVER AND OVER

The wife picked up snipe hunting equipment this morning. I couldn’t find sandbags so the wife picked up some cheap pillow cases. Got our whistles and flashlights just need to make some clubs now.

Gosh. Dam beau. Things got kinda dusty in here. That’s sad and not right that young children get cancer. Its just not right.

The Bangles were a pretty good all girl band. Go-Gos too. Hoffs sure did age well.

I guess that’s the advantage of sitting at the front row…

Going to get that clubs for the snipe hunt.

1 Like