Cool stuff around our world

Yep, what barbawang said.

That’s what I thought. All the years that I’ve worked and run with these rednecks from Conway and aynor never heard them called jack fish before.

Dang, I’m a Redneck, and I’ve always called them Jackfish?

LOL…

Mostly caught them by accident. Seems like I remember losing a few when they did a dance on the surface and threw the hook. Seems like they were pretty vigorous head shakers. Beetle spins, Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, etc but mostly live minnows.

I’m a repressed redneck, but always busting out in fits of redneckdom!
That might be a good sig line, hmmm

Y’all know what a tittie bream is don’t ya?

It’s bait?

Oh yeah. So big it won’t fit in your hand.Have to hold it up against your chest

Panther Martin is the deadliest trout stream spinner I know

Titty bream!

Shellcracker

1 Like

Whose screen name is this?

That’s it. An old timer back then told me that. Funny, never forgot it.

I’m totally stumped!

Oh, wait…I think I kn…
Pin on Just Saying

I like colloquial names for fish. Have heard warmouth called molly and mo’mouth, but have never found any names for redbreast other than hens and roosters. Y’all?

Oh and Bay that snake belly flop hurt me a little to watch, but I guess they can take it. Wife would smash my phone if I showed her that…

Yes on the Mollys. In slower water(compared to Edisto). I think I remember some old timers referring to Rooster Redbreast.

MMMM! did you watch the video on how to fry oysters in that link?.. That looks like a do’er. I had never heard of fresh ramps.

Barbawing, I’ve never went to target them, just caught off chance to begin with. I’ve got a good crappy spot and started catching large mouth and jack this time of year with minnows. The colder the better for them in my experience. I’ve only caught a couple random as the weather warms up. When I was up North and caught the 10-15lbers, I would fillet them like a local taught me with a lot of waste. (several videos out there) Ours (imo) are too small to fillet. I scale, score, lemon, salt, peper, and butter wrap in foil and put on the grill. take it very slow and pick the meat watching out for the million “Y” bones. Clean and sweet meat. It’s been a while though.

You mention a golden spoon, Personally I’ve never had much success with spoons. Red rooster tail has been the best artificial I’ve used for them. Blue Fox made (maybe still does?) a vibrating one with a white feather in the middle of the red that worked wonders up north. But then again you could catch them with a piece of hot dog when they were hungry.

Funny thing, you catch a Perch at Hartwell, it’s a Perch. Catch the same fish at Greenwood, it’s an Eisenhower.

Who wants one?

I think I’ll stick to this.