Debunking the Myth that Science Disproves the Bibl

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

I tend to agree (write that down). The only people who could be 100% sure they’re right have to be huge narcissists.

I saw the jab the first time you floated it out there... But it's obvious you want a reaction...

Here is what you have to consider… Christian faith is an “all in” activity… If you think, “Hey, there there might be a god, or there might not”, then you aren’t a Christian. The type of faith that is required is the type of faith that produces repentance and change in a follower’s life. This comes from KNOWING God or a lifelong search to know God better. Not to say that Christians don’t periodically struggle with their faith as they are challenged with a secular worldview, but they rebound from it with surety and confidence, (often more confidence than before). Even the greatest of Christians such as John the Baptist and Jesus’ original apostles had these moments of “little faith”…

So, you can call it “narcissism” (incorrectly) if you want. But anything less than a TRUE belief that God exists seems contrary to the type of faith required by the gospel…

On the other hand, atheists are SO SURE that God doesn’t exist, that that they are willing to be ETERNITY on that belief. That’s COMPLETE self-reliance on their own ideas and the true definition of narcissism.

You think it goes “both ways”, but the reality is, it doesn’t… Christians don’t think “I figured it out, therefore I am smarter than you”… That’s what atheists do… That’s PRIDE which is an anti-Christian value…

In other words, your “jab” was a “swing and a miss”…

<hr height="1" noshade id="quot
quote:
Originally posted by jughed
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Okay, fair enough. I don’t really have a follow up. It was a genuine question to see where you stood. Again, as I mentioned before, I’m inclined to believe that true “atheists” are very rare.

I tend to agree (write that down). The only people who could be 100% sure they’re right have to be huge narcissists.

Your assumption is wrong.

Or you're a huge narcissist?

Nope.

Please cite some reasons/examples that back your assumption. If not, what you say is just unfounded blabber about people you know little or nothing about.

Its easy to blindly throw bombs at people…

You want me to cite an opinion?

You know for a fact you’re 100% right that there is no higher power, regardless of the fact that it’s impossible for you to know everything? So you’re 100% sure about something you can’t c

quote:

It really wasn’t a jab towards anyone. I didn’t realize you have always your entire life been 100% sure that you were correct. I mean you tried so hard to pin me down, I kind of figured that was a given.

Where did I "pin you down"? I just wanted to understand what you believed... I didn't attack your belief. My inquiry was to test my theory... I didn't claim that atheists are "not sure", or at least that's not what I was getting at. My thesis was that atheists actually DO believe in some "creator" or "deity", but just not the same form as the one portrayed in the Holy Bible.

And yes, it was a jab…

Also, can you show me how to measure “100% sure”. Is there some sort of instrument I can use? Maybe it’s more about observing the facts, making a decision and sticking to it.

It’s like getting married… Can you be 100% sure that your wife isn’t going to cheat on you one day? I doubt it, but you are “sure enough” to place your trust in her for the rest of your life that she won’t…

So sensitive! Nobody’s attacking your beliefs, just turning the repetitive line of questioning towards you. I don’t have all the answers, I wasn’t aware that implying you also don’t have all the answers would strike such a chord.

The 100% remark came from you over and over and over asking me the same question about what I believe in.

quote:

On the other hand, atheists are SO SURE that God doesn’t exist, that that they are willing to be ETERNITY on that belief. That’s COMPLETE self-reliance on their own ideas and the true definition of narcissism.

You think it goes “both ways”, but the reality is, it doesn’t… Christians don’t think “I figured it out, therefore I am smarter than you”… That’s what atheists do… That’s PRIDE which is an anti-Christian value…

I have to say that I feel these couple of statements are grossly incorrect (as I understand them). I’m an atheist, I don’t rely solely on my own ideas, I do not have it all figured out, I know I am not smarter than everyone else. Other atheists I know would share my opinion stated above.

I think you can find narcissists, ego-maniacs, big-headed know-it-alls in all walks of life with all sort of beliefs (religious or otherwise). You “seem” to be implying that all atheists meet these criteria?

If I am interpreting your statements incorrectly, please forgive me in advance (I know internet forums lead to misunderstandings). Otherwise, you are incorrect in this case.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Lack of belief isn’t in any way equal to self absorbed.

Lack of belief isn’t in any way equal to self reliant.

Lack of belief in no way makes us think that we are smarter than you.

Lack of belief in no way makes us think that we have the answers - on the contrary, people of belief tend to think they have the answers.

quote:
I do not have it all figured out, I know I am not smarter than everyone else.

I do, and I am.

Y’all will just have to deal with it.:wink:

j

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Edistodaniel

On the other hand, atheists are SO SURE that God doesn’t exist,

There are 1000’s of “gods” that people are 100% sure are the one and only god, and all others are fake. You (only using you as an example, not to poke at you) are 100% sure all of those other gods are non existent - you know it to your core.

1000’s of gods rejected by Christians. 1000’s of profits rejected, even profits that billion’s believe…

So you have the ability to reject or deny all of those gods - and are certain about 1/2 the population is wrong.

Does that make you self absorbed?

You agree with atheists 99.9% of the time when it comes to gods. The difference is 1 god.

quote:

So sensitive! Nobody’s attacking your beliefs, just turning the repetitive line of questioning towards you. I don’t have all the answers, I wasn’t aware that implying you also don’t have all the answers would strike such a chord.

The 100% remark came from you over and over and over asking me the same question about what I believe in.

How am I being sensitive? Anyway, I never suggested you were attacking my beliefs and frankly wouldn't affect me if you did.

Again, I am not suggesting I have all of the answers. What I am suggesting is that I have reviewed enough evidence to be solid in my faith…

Also, the 100% doesn’t apply to me. I thought I pointed that out… I don’t have to be 100%. If I am wrong about God, I end up in a hole in the ground and never knew that I was wrong. That’s not going to happen to me though!!! That being said, if YOU DON’T believe in God and you are wrong, then the consequences are MUCH more severe. This is why it’s important for YOU to be 100%, not me…

quote:

There are 1000’s of “gods” that people are 100% sure are the one and only god, and all others are fake. You (only using you as an example, not to poke at you) are 100% sure all of those other gods are non existent - you know it to your core.

1000’s of gods rejected by Christians. 1000’s of profits rejected, even profits that billion’s believe…

So you have the ability to reject or deny all of those gods - and are certain about 1/2 the population is wrong.

Does that make you self absorbed?

You agree with atheists 99.9% of the time when it comes to gods. The difference is 1 god.

Let’s look at my mainstream options:

1. Hinduism which really wasn’t even a coined term until modern times. You basically make up your own god and share it with your friends.
  2. Christianity, a storyline written over almost 4000 years backed by Biblical prophecy that has come true 100% of the time. If you actually study the Bible, the truth will jump out and smack you right in the face. Supported by historical timelines, artifacts, etc. Also centered around Jesus Christ who pretty much ALL of the mainstream religions acknowledge as a prophet (at a minimum).
  3. Islam, invented by ONE man, who a) reported to his wife that he was choked by a demon until his wife convinced him that he was speaking to an angel, b) Shares a ton of information from a “book” (BIBLE) that was written 600 years prior and acknowledges the previous book. c) Full of obvious lies, destruction, etc.
  4. What else do you want to talk about? The spinoff of Jehova’s witnesses, Mormons, etc?

The bottom line is that if God truly wants his people to know him (which he does), then he would appear to the masses through a mainstream venue. So, I am not worried about the tree frog god that only lives in a sou

quote:

Lack of belief in no way makes us think that we have the answers - on the contrary, people of belief tend to think they have the answers.

Nobody says it is... My point is that MOST atheists feel the need to "attack" Christians whenever they get the chance. It's like, it's super important for them to tell a believer that they "believe in fairy tales", "magic wand", etc. Find an atheist on this thread that doesn't ACTIVELY (i.e go out of their way) poke fun at Christianity... That's the display of arrogance and self-absorption. If you truly didn't care, threads like this wouldn't even be of interest to you... So, ahteists spend time on this thread because they are uncomfortable in their own skin and they want to bash Christians and watch them wiggle so that they can convince themselves that God doesn't exist. It's much more about you convincing you than it is, you convincing me... And THAT is the truth whether you admit to it or not...
quote:
quote:

Nobody says it is... My point is that MOST atheists feel the need to "attack" Christians whenever they get the chance. It's like, it's super important for them to tell a believer that they "believe in fairy tales", "magic wand", etc. Find an atheist on this thread that doesn't ACTIVELY (i.e go out of their way) poke fun at Christianity... That's the display of arrogance and self-absorption. If you truly didn't care, threads like this wouldn't even be of interest to you... So, ahteists spend time on this thread because they are uncomfortable in their own skin and they want to bash Christians and watch them wiggle so that they can convince themselves that God doesn't exist. It's much more about you convincing you than it is, you convincing me... And THAT is the truth whether you admit to it or not...

This is the truth right here. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of adding legs to the fish you see on cars, shirts, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by xman
quote:

I have to say that I feel these couple of statements are grossly incorrect (as I understand them). I’m an atheist, I don’t rely solely on my own ideas, I do not have it all figured out, I know I am not smarter than everyone else. Other atheists I know would share my opinion stated above.

I think you can find narcissists, ego-maniacs, big-headed know-it-alls in all walks of life with all sort of beliefs (religious or otherwise). You “seem” to be implying that all atheists meet these criteria?

If I am interpreting your statements incorrectly, please forgive me in advance (I know internet forums lead to misunderstandings). Otherwise, you are incorrect in this case.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

No, you interpreted my statements correctly, but to be fair, YES, I am generalizing, and it's probably not fair for me to say "All athiests"...

Other than you though, I have YET to meet an “atheist” who didn’t have a touch of an elitist attitude about religion and have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about it.

But yes, you are indeed correct that I have not met every atheist. In my original stat

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

This is the truth right here. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of adding legs to the fish you see on cars, shirts, etc.

Great point. It's the "in your face" attitude. Most of the atheists that I have met aren't just settled on "not believing". It's more like a badge of pride and accomplishment to them. Like "not believing" puts them in an elite club of people who have it all figured out...

Again, I apologize for the generalizations here, but there are soooooo many like this, I would venture to use the word “MAJORITY”…

quote:
quote:

I’ve been a quiet atheist the bulk of my life - live and let live. The bulk of people with like beliefs are similar - we don’t care what you blieve in, as its non of our business.

Then people all the sudden started to blame the ills of our country on us, preachers on the radio and TV started launching attacks - polls were taken were the bulk of Christians rated atheists less trust worthy than rapists an

quote:

I’ve been a quiet atheist the bulk of my life - live and let live. The bulk of people with like beliefs are similar - we don’t care what you blieve in, as its non of our business.

Then people all the sudden started to blame the ills of our country on us, preachers on the radio and TV started launching attacks - polls were taken were the bulk of Christians rated atheists less trust worthy than rapists and hardened criminals… the list goes on and on and on. We are destroying the country, we are the reason kids are bad, we are the reason for crime… and people come door to door telling us this.

We respond in defense - get called out for attacking Christians.

I know its a two way street - I fully understand both sides share the blame. Do you?

Here is a perfect example:
My kids take some classes/seminars at a local christian education institution. We have no issues with exposing them to all faiths - and have no issue when preaching happens at places it should happen.

But - the last teacher told the kids at the beginning of the class not to go alone to the bathroom. She flat out stated that not everyone in the building is Christian, and can’t be trusted to act in “good” manner.

WTF is that garbage? Who is spreading that type of trash into peoples minds. I know the bible isn’t teaching that…

And when we respond - its all our fault???

I don't know what's been presented to you in the past, so I can't speak on that, but I certainly don't blame the problems of the world on "atheists" and I don't know many other Christians that do. The battle seems to be more about the specific atheists that are not tolerant of Christianity that persecute it heavily with the desire to remove every trace of the word "God" from society. So, it's more of the "activists" that

How many times have people on this board blamed the problems on the world on the degradation of good Christian values?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Both atheists and theists operate on faith.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Nope. Faith is a belief in something with no physical proof. (True) Atheists don’t believe in that which isn’t proven, and make no “leaps” into a belief.

Big Bang and Evolution are two prime examples - both are qualified by the word theory. Theory isn’t fact, or a proof… its the search for proof.

Atheists say there isn’t a God, but they can’t prove it. They have faith that they are right.

Theists say there is a God, but they can’t prove it. They have faith that they are right.

Big Bang and evolution are related to the theist-atheist argument, but are different arguments.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej If I am wrong about God, I end up in a hole in the ground and never knew that I was wrong. That's not going to happen to me though!!! That being said, if YOU DON'T believe in God and you are wrong, then the consequences are MUCH more severe. This is why it's important for YOU to be 100%, not me...

But if Atheist are right they lived their entire precious life (aka their personal eternity) living how they wanted and all religious followers wasted some portion of their personal eternity living a lie and falling for the biggest con in human history.

On a side note what were you getting at with this meteor comment “Distance of moon from earth. Closer or further has HUGE implications on tides, gravitational field, affect on meteor protection. There is a reason that the moon is beaten up with craters and the Earth only has a few!!!”? The reason the moon has more craters is because it doesn’t have an atmosphere protecting it or weather/organisms erasing craters. The earth has taken FAR more asteroids than the moon.

First, Most, Biggest

Are yall just discovering the fact that people with differing opinions often argue? There isn’t “one side” that can be blamed, both are responsible. This is true for all points of argument ranging from religion, college football, to Pepsi vs Coke. I know I’m biased but I think it’s fair to say that Christians have been shoving their religion down others throats far more than the other way around, particularly when comparing them to atheist. This is true from a historical standpoint and modern. Maybe I’m just not home enough but I’ve never had somebody come to my house to talk about how Jesus was never real.

First, Most, Biggest