Easter Sunday or Ressurection Day, WHICH??????

Now I will comment on skinneej’s long, GREAT post. I call him “the most prolific poster on the planet”, (opinion of course).

Skinneej said “I think bunnies and chickens is the subject of the topic here”. Actually he covered the subject well; that is, worshipping a godess that the word Easter came from, NOT bunnies and chickens.

WHATEVER CONTROLS YOU IS YOUR GOD"

Skinneej said “Easter has been in my mind as well”; thus, God gave skinneej the truth about Ee-star at the same time as me for uniformity and COMPLETE teaching as intended for His purpose.

Skinneej also said “the only thing I care about is TRUTH”, no coincidence there; same words as mine, inspired by God.

“The big one’s still swimming, let’s go.”

Now I will comment on skinneej’s long, GREAT post. I call him “the most prolific poster on the planet”, (opinion of course).

Skinneej said “I think bunnies and chickens is the subject of the topic here”. Actually he covered the subject well; that is, worshipping a godess that the word Easter came from, NOT bunnies and chickens.

WHATEVER CONTROLS YOU IS YOUR GOD"

Skinneej said “Easter has been in my mind as well”; thus, God gave skinneej the truth about Ee-star at the same time as me for uniformity and COMPLETE teaching as intended for His purpose.

Skinneej also said “the only thing I care about is TRUTH”, no coincidence there; same words as mine, inspired by God.

Last, but not least for sure, “How can one say EASTER is about Jesus”??? It has “nothing to do with Jesus”, OR His crucifixion.

THAT, my brothers and friends, is the whole TRUTH, and the reason this thread is about the getting “back to basics” skinneej referred to so accurately.

THANKS to skinneej and all Christians who will listen and take the message to heart.

Again, Happy Ressurection Day to all!!!

Now, before we leave the Easter subject, I will give skinneej
and others who are students of the word some more information about Easter.

That is, Matthew 12:40-“For as Jonas was thrree days AND three nights in the whale’s(changed from fish to whale) belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth”.
T
Matthew 26:2- “ye know that after two days is the feast of the Passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.”

Matthew 28:1- in the end of the Sabbath, as it BEGAN to dawn TOWARD the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. Verse 6- He is not here: for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

SO, three days and nights, and He was gone BEFORE the first day of the week; so what day was He crucified??? Remember, clue, there was TWO Sabbaths that week, Passover and last day of the week.

Another Christian change of the word of God, asthe Garden of Eden tree of KNOWLEDGE, NOT a fruit tree with Apples.

VERY interesting indeed is the TRUTH when it is given from the word of God rather than “the traditions of men”. KEEP STUDYING guys.

PS: x man hit on something good too. The full moon, guess WHO the full moon is about, and you have a clue of the problem here.

Whether you call it Easter or Resurrection Day; whether you hunt colored eggs or not; whether you eat chocolate bunnies or not: If you celebrate the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and worship Him as your Lord and Savior, then that’s all that matters. God isn’t a “Gotcha” God. He knows your heart and He’s not waiting around to send you to eternal torment because of a technicality. Just my opinion, as one who has read all 66 books of the Bible at least once, reads it almost daily, loves and professes Jesus, etc.

“The essence of Christian obedience is not do’s and don’ts but personal allegiance to Jesus.” - Timothy Keller

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by RWL

I have never looked into why Easter was called Easter. I just celebrated the rising of Christ and what it meant to me. Yes, I took part in Easter eggs hunts, gave cards, gave some sweet treats for the kids and such, but my heart never had a pagan thought, never had a thought of worshiping another god other than my One true Father in Heaven. I know what the work done on the Cross means to me and everyone else for that matter. I also know that God knows what is truly in my heart and since I have never entertained the thought of worshiping anything else but Him and my true intentions for Easter were always the work done on the Cross and the rising of Jesus I think I am good no matter what the origins of Eater, the bunny, or the egg were. I never knew and I never worshipped them.

Yes, no doubt. That's probably the case for 99% of believers out there. But now, you know, how does it change your thoughts about using the word "Easter" to describe the resurrection of Christ?

I seriously doubt that it was mac daddy’s point to condemn those who call the remembrance of the resurrection by the name “Easter”. I think it’s just a matter of sharing a point of view so that people can make their own decisions. At least you are armed with more in depth knowledge.

It doesn’t change me at all. It is still what is in my heart that matters to God. I didn’t take macdaddy’s post as condemning anyone either. When it comes to Christianity or religious discussion, all I really care about is that one knows the Gospel of Jesus Christ. After that, it is in

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Whether you call it Easter or Resurrection Day; whether you hunt colored eggs or not; whether you eat chocolate bunnies or not: If you celebrate the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and worship Him as your Lord and Savior, then that’s all that matters. God isn’t a “Gotcha” God. He knows your heart and He’s not waiting around to send you to eternal torment because of a technicality. Just my opinion, as one who has read all 66 books of the Bible at least once, reads it almost daily, loves and professes Jesus, etc.

“The essence of Christian obedience is not do’s and don’ts but personal allegiance to Jesus.” - Timothy Keller

Absolutely, I don't think God is waiting to trip you up on a technicality! This discussion (in my mind) is more of an exercise to discern what pleases the Lord (as an expression of love for the Lord) and what would be offensive to the Lord (as an expression of respect for the Lord).

Remember that the mission of Satan is to deceive and lead people away from the word of God. One is only deceived when he is presented something that appears to be truthful in nature (but is not really truthful).

I personally feel wrong nowadays when I call the resurrection of Christ by the name of a pagan goddess. Just like I wouldn’t call my wife by the name of the town whore, even if my wife fully understood that I had love for her and zero love for the town whore.

That being said, check out some surveys nowadays about “Easter”

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/13-culture/356-most-americans-consider-easter-a-religious-holiday-but-fewer-correctly-identify-its-meaning#.VSPig_nF9iY

Sadly, only 42% of Americans actually link “Easter” to the resurrection of Christ. Wh

5 days: 1298 reads, 46 posts, and where are we???

We are still saying “Does not matter” what we call the Resurrection of Jesus, as long as we worship the true God, and His Son Jesus.

Forums are called ‘opinion forums’, so that is what we expect and what we have

received, along with some truth from the word of God too.

Synopsis of opinions: Except for skinneej and myself, the last post by RWL summed it up pretty well. That is, “All I really care about is that one knows the Gospel.” He also said “pray for discernment” of the truth. Then he also said “Sin is ALL the same in God’s eyes imo”.

RWL also said when asked by skinneej “Now that you know how does that change your thoughts”, answer “It doesn’t change me at all”.

James 4:17- Therefore to him that KNOWETH to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. Once you KNOW the truth you are accountable for every word of God’s truth that you KNOW.

We Cannot speak for God; thus we MUST study, and ONLY repeat what we know to be true, otherwise our opinions on the word of God may well condemn us to loss of salvation.

I gathered from some here that as long as we have repented ONCE for salvation, we are secure in our quest to enter Heaven. Of course, we all know we MUST continually confess and repent from our sins.

Lest we forget, I remind everyone of just one of the verses of many that remind us we MUST be diligent to protect our salvation. From the last page of the Bible, Revelation 22:19, I quote “If any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”

SO, oneknowing the Gospel is not “all that matters”, nor is our opinion “all that matters”.

Hopefully, our opinions are different concerning Easter and the truth according to the word of God.

Edistodaniel had a TRAGIC, but true remark “Aren’t MOST Christian holidays (originally holy days) just ‘Christianized’ pagan holidays?” Qu

But then, the same reply will be given by some to the tragic comment I made,

“It just doesn’t matter.”

I believe one has to read the entire Revelation 22: 6 through 19 to keep this in context. I do not believe that verse 19 is directed to the true believer, but rather to the unbelievers and pseudo-Christians that attempt to change God’s word by adding or subtracting from it to form to their way of thinking, whether to justify their behavior or to deceive others. First, there are many verses telling us that as a true believer that out Salvation is eternal. Second, a true believer would never want to change the word of God and third, would a God that is all omniscient actually write a persons name in the Book of Life that at some point would apostatize and deny his faith. That person was NEVER a true believer and thus never written in the Book of Life to begin with. We are to have faith in God that he is a faithful God and never promises us things that He would deny. Rev 22:19 is a warning to those that are not true believers to change their sinful ways and turn to Him before it is too late, IMO.

One more thing. The knowing the Gospel comment was all that mattered to ME as far as my worrying about another person salvation. Obviously, there is more to being a “good” Christian than that, but I feel that, unless I am asked by someone or compelled by God to do so, I don’t thrust my opinions on others just because I see them doing something I may deem sinful. I try to accept them just as I would want to be accepted, try to make sure they know the Gospel of Jesus in a well received way and then let God do His thing in their heart. Don’t take that as I am against what you did on this thread. On the contrary, this is a public forum and one can chose to take part or not. I like seeing these types of threads as there are many, including myself, that get a lot out of them. I seem to learn something knew about myself and the Word of God each time.

Again, RWL, I thank you for your participation, but you are still giving opinion, or what you ‘believe’; when verse 19 clearly says “ANY man”. This after you accused me of changing God’s word.

I am trying to establish a point here of seeing the word only through the Gospel and salvation, NOT taking into account the truth seeking after receiving the Gospel, and holding others and ourselves accountable to study for the truth, and not be compromising to allow false teaching to creep in.

I may or may not debate the scripture references concerning eternal salvation, but there are many both ways; so don’t be closed minded because of the teaching you have heard on that subject please.

Matthew 23 New Living Translation (NLT)

Jesus Criticizes the Religious Leaders

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 ?The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses.[a] 3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don?t follow their example. For they don?t practice what they teach. 4 They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.

5 ?Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels.[b] 6 And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues. 7 They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ?Rabbi.?[c]

8 ?Don?t let anyone call you ?Rabbi,? for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters.[d] 9 And don?t address anyone here on earth as ?Father,? for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father. 10 And don?t let anyone call you ?Teacher,? for you have only one teacher, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you must be a servant. 12 But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

13 ?What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people?s faces. You won?t go in yourselves, and you don?t let others enter either.[e]

15 ?What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell[f] you yourselves are!

16 ?Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ?by God?s Temple,? but that it is binding to swear ?by the gold in the Temple.? 17 Blind fools! Which is more important?the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 And you say that to swear ?by the altar? is not bindi

Don’t get caught up in legalism. Strive to obey the Word

Ok bgf, what is legalism according to the word; I interpreted the verses you quoted as very clear that it is “saying one thing, doing another”.

If that is the interpretation you received, then there is no better example than going to worship the Resurrection and calling it by a pagan, idol worship name.

By the way, your modern translation changed the title Rabbi to teacher, then later in your verses said ‘good’ teachers are ok.

More testimony of the word being used to cause ‘hypocrisy’ for the purpose of ‘sounding’ good to the audience.

36 verses bgf, all criticism of the RELIGIOUS leaders, NOT the righteous leaders.

We ALL know about religion and religious leaders, but NONE of us are in that category of course. Only OTHER Christians, not us ever; called finger pointing indeed.

Some would say I am finger pointing, I just give facts and let the results be determined by God, not my opinion or my wishes.

IF we stick to facts according to scripture, and exhaustive interpretation, meaning “let scripture interpret scripture”. That term by Bible scholars means we MUST study all scriptures referring to one subject and use the ‘overall’ interpretation rather than take one verse for interpretation.

Therefore, I appreciate your taking an entire chapter to make your point, very astute; however, it all referred to one subject, hypocrisy, rather than legalism.

There was one reference to legalism, swatting at a knat, and swallowing a camel. If you are calling this subject a “gnat”, then we have the full explanation of your posts and that would be a TRAGIC shame…

36 verses bgf, all criticism of the RELIGIOUS leaders, NOT the righteous leaders.

We ALL know about religion and religious leaders, but NONE of us are in that category of course. Only OTHER Christians, not us ever; called finger pointing indeed.

Some would say I am finger pointing, I just give facts and let the results be determined by God, not my opinion or my wishes.

IF we stick to facts according to scripture, and exhaustive interpretation, meaning “let scripture interpret scripture”. That term by Bible scholars means we MUST study all scriptures referring to one subject and use the ‘overall’ interpretation rather than take one verse for interpretation.

Therefore, I appreciate your taking an entire chapter to make your point, very astute; however, it all referred to one subject, hypocrisy, rather than legalism.

There was one reference to legalism, swatting at a knat, and swallowing a camel. If you are calling this subject a “gnat”, then we have the full explanation of your posts and that would be a TRAGIC shame…

This will be my last post on this… I guess the best way sum up my opinion here is this, as followers of Christ we are to have unity in the essential doctrines ( doctrine of God’s infallible Word, the oneness of the Trinity Christ Crucified and Resurrected, and the priesthood of the believer, being the ones that immediately come to mind) and in non-essentials we have diversity, and in all of our beliefs we should promote love.

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

This will be my last post on this… I guess the best way sum up my opinion here is this, as followers of Christ we are to have unity in the essential doctrines ( doctrine of God’s infallible Word, the oneness of the Trinity Christ Crucified and Resurrected, and the priesthood of the believer, being the ones that immediately come to mind) and in non-essentials we have diversity, and in all of our beliefs we should promote love.

Well put. I’ve heard the same discussion using slightly different terminology; i.e. core beliefs vs. peripheral beliefs. It’s not that the peripheral beliefs are unimportant, but they are not core to the faith. The discussion could just as well be dunk, pour, or sprinkle (baptismal methods); freewill or predestination; Calvinism or Arminianism; Easter or Resurrection Day, etc. All important and all very interesting. But none are core beliefs for followers of Christ.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I LIKE calling it Resurrection Day. I think it is a better description for the day than Easter is.

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

I think that mac daddy IS promoting love with his post (probably not the love that you are referring to though). What is the MOST important commandment?