Justified, or Petty?

I know a contractor who did not build a building to code. The inspector caught him, and he was forced to make some changes to the building so that it would pass code. Was this contractor stealing from other contractors because he didn’t follow the law?

If he had got away with it, YES! He would have been stealing from the building owner!

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

If he had got away with it, YES! He would have been stealing from the building owner!

The question specifically was, "is he stealing from other contractors?"... You seem to be answering a different question.

He is stealing from other contractors and the building owners, by not building to code, like the legal contractors do! What don’t you understand about the word Contract?

In your illustration of the contractor who was not building to code, yes he was stealing from the owner/buyer who contracted with him to build a building that could get a certificate of occupancy and he was stealing from legitimate contractors who provided estimates based on doing the job up to legal standards. In fact if the building fell down because of his substandard practices and people were injured or killed he might even be charged with criminal negligence or manslaughter. As far as who is in your boat and what they do in exchange for a trip, what you fail to recognize is that you have been granted a privilege to fish for what actually belongs to all the citizens of the state whether they fish or not *(see existence value). As a result you must abide by applicable law or risk having those privileges revoked…

Again THANK YOU , hungryneck!

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

In the grand scheme of things, why does the government think they have the right to tell me who I can have on my boat and if I can charge to take them out? It’s just another form of taxation

Most significant post on this thread. Big brother does whatever he wants to whomever he wants…:face_with_head_bandage:

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

quote:

He is stealing from other contractors and the building owners, by not building to code, like the legal contractors do! What don’t you understand about the word Contract?

For the sake of arguing, that’s incorrect, Mr. Norm. The licensed contractors’ profit margins may end up being lower, but no one’s taking money out of their pockets. Making less money isn’t the same as someone taking it from them…

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:

For the sake of arguing, that’s incorrect, Mr. Norm. The licensed contractors’ profit margins may end up being lower, but no one’s taking money out of their pockets. Making less money isn’t the same as someone taking it from them…

Bingo!!!
quote:
Originally posted by hungryneck

In your illustration of the contractor who was not building to code, yes he was stealing from the owner/buyer who contracted with him to build a building that could get a certificate of occupancy and he was stealing from legitimate contractors who provided estimates based on doing the job up to legal standards.

That’s certainly NOT true. You could pick apart almost ANY house built today and find at least a few codes broken (most unintentionally).

quote:
In fact if the building fell down because of his substandard practices and people were injured or killed he might even be charged with criminal negligence or manslaughter.

Yes, that’s true, but that’s not the issue we are discussing. I never asked about shotty construction and liability.

quote:
As far as who is in your boat and what they do in exchange for a trip, what you fail to recognize is that you have been granted a privilege to fish for what actually belongs to all the citizens of the state whether they fish or not *(see existence value). As a result you must abide by applicable law or risk having those privileges revoked..
You have a *right* to fish in SC:

https://ballotpedia.org/South_Carolina_Hunting_and_Fishing_Amendment,Amendment_1(2010)

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

In your illustration of the contractor who was not building to code, yes he was stealing from the owner/buyer who contracted with him to build a building that could get a certificate of occupancy and he was stealing from legitimate contractors who provided estimates based on doing the job up to legal standards.

That’s certainly NOT true. You could pick apart almost ANY house built today and find at least a few codes broken (most unintentionally).

quote:
In fact if the building fell down because of his substandard practices and people were injured or killed he might even be charged with criminal negligence or manslaughter.

Yes, that’s true, but that’s not the issue we are discussing. I never asked about shotty construction and liability.

quote:
As far as who is in your boat and what they do in exchange for a trip, what you fail to recognize is that you have been granted a privilege to fish for what actually belongs to all the citizens of the state whether they fish or not *(see existence value). As a result you must abide by applicable law or risk having those privileges revoked..
You have a *right* to fish in SC:

https://ballotpedia.org/South_Carolina_Hunting_and_Fishing_Amendment,Amendment_1(2010)

<hr

Yes there was a constitutional amendment to that effect as you stated, but you lose that right/privilege when you violate the conditions under which they are granted. Those “rights” are taken away in court in SC every day. I recently read that a commercial fisherman in VA was banned from having any natural resources related license in that state for ten years.

My father always told me that “Killing is stealing someone’s life and that lying is stealing the truth.” I am going with that, play any other word games you want. You are either honorable or not simple as that.

Not sure which VA watermen you are refering to but we recently had a local caught harvesting and selling shellfish from polluted/condemned waters. This wasn’t the first time he had been caught doing this.

quote:

Yes there was a constitutional amendment to that effect as you stated, but you lose that right/privilege when you violate the conditions under which they are granted. Those “rights” are taken away in court in SC every day. I recently read that a commercial fisherman in VA was banned from having any natural resources related license in that state for ten years.

My father always told me that “Killing is stealing someone’s life and that lying is stealing the truth.” I am going with that, play any other word games you want. You are either honorable or not simple as that.

I understand that rights can be taken away. Even Constitutional rights. But, I think it should put it in perspective... You acted as if the state was doing me a favor (i.e. privileged). It's now been recognized as a right. I was just correcting you.

As for what your dad told you, they are probably good words to live by, but if you are going to accuse someone of actual THEFT, then you need to prove that it happened, not speculate some WILD scenario where it might happen. So, there is also honor in not falsely accusing people of crimes that they did not commit. If he was stealing, then he would be charged with theft.

This is cut and dry… If this guide took charters from someone else, then they should easily be able to prove that. If they can PROVE that they lost business because of his lack of proper paperwork then you could argue that he had a competitive advantage from breaking the law… But speculating about this, in this manner without proof, is like speculating as to what will happen to you if you get cable instead of DirectTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIv3m2gMgUU

Again let me summarize…

Was the law broken? YES.
Should he comply with the law? YES
Should the penalty be dealt? YES
Was this an act of THEFT? No, don’t end up in a road side ditch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIv3m2gMgUU

Mr. Bart, you must work for Wells Fargo Bank, if you believe that! Do you think stealing was involved, in opening all those accounts in peoples names was theft!

Robio has the knife.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

5 page thread in defense of anarchy. The laws are there to protect the residents in the state/country that they reside in and choose to abide by those laws. Standards are set to identify those contractors that meet specified safe practices in whatever business they have licenses to practice.
It is theft of another’s’ “legal” pursuit of income production by deception. Thus, the penalty if caught. The point and argument is moot and is a waste of time. I’m a fool for commenting on this, but, since corruption appears to be the norm…it’s become accepted. I was raised differently.
Goes back to hungrynecks’ comment on honor…

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Robio has the knife.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Well, it surely sounded like you were falsely accusing me previously.

False accusation of theft seems to be common on this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

5 page thread in defense of anarchy. The laws are there to protect the residents in the state/country that they reside in and choose to abide by those laws. Standards are set to identify those contractors that meet specified safe practices in whatever business they have licenses to practice.
It is theft of another’s’ “legal” pursuit of income production by deception. Thus, the penalty if caught. The point and argument is moot and is a waste of time. I’m a fool for commenting on this, but, since corruption appears to be the norm…it’s become accepted. I was raised differently.
Goes back to hungrynecks’ comment on honor…

No "anarchy" was defended. Show me where I said he should be acquitted. I'll wait...