Luxury Tow SUV help

The better question is why is he talking about his Tundras MPG in my thread about SUVs?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I’ve got a 2015 dodge 5500 that weighs in at 24,288lbs, it gets 10.2mpg and drops to 8.6mpg pulling a 12,000lb trailer.

I don’t see the Tundra down at 8mpg empty, unless it has some major engine issues.

Heck got a few 2016 Kenworth Glider kits with 1996 Detroit’s in them getting 7.2mpg pulling 86,000lbs.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

I’ve got a 2015 dodge 5500 that weighs in at 24,288lbs, it gets 10.2mpg and drops to 8.6mpg pulling a 12,000lb trailer.

I don’t see the Tundra down at 8mpg empty, unless it has some major engine issues.

Heck got a few 2016 Kenworth Glider kits with 1996 Detroit’s in them getting 7.2mpg pulling 86,000lbs.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

This is helping his decision how?

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

This is helping his decision how?

Helping prove or disprove the 8mpg claim on the Tundra. And if that is all BoatPoor is getting, I’d get it checked out or get rid of it. This is an open Public Forum, not a private one. Subject to many flavors of replies. I said nothing rude to anyone. Just added a little extra info because I felt like it.

One that we purposefully overlooked was the Audi Q7. We thought the new front end was really ugly, and I have heard that they are constantly in the shop. Not to mention the whole VW/Audi TDI snafu that pretty much killed their reputation.

With that said, does anyone have one, or have any thoughts on that model? We haven’t seen them up close, so not sure if we should even waste our time looking.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Fred, how are you grossing 86,000, when the legal limit is 80,000:question: I’ve done it, but only when I knew there were no scale houses on the route!

My wife was in a 06 Z-71 tahoe she really wanted a 460 Lexus to replace the Tahoe we looked and looked but ended up with a 16 LTZ Tahoe. It is a lot nicer and more Luxury than the Lexus, it gets better gas mileage and is not that much bigger. Get out of Charleston to buy one i got a 8k rebate on ours but this is the kind of thing they don’t tell you. Mine came from Newberry delivered to my house in Mt.Pleasant for free everything handled over the phone.

Capt.Bill Sharpe

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Thanks Salty. I agree on the Land Cruiser, but it was just too big for parking for her. On the XC90, it was a rough ride for us. Too much engine noise, wind, and tire noise. It was soft, but loud compared to all the others.

From all I am seeing, the X5 has extremely high safety ratings, very high reliability, and gets the best gas mileage with the ZF 8 speed than others. Same unit Chrysler and Mercedes have started using. I don’t think I have ever driven a better transmission than this one.

Still liking the Lexus GX460 (Landcruiser Prado) though. Just wish it got a little better mpg and the interior was a little nicer. Toyota and Lexus sure aren’t tryin to win any awards with their interiors. I get the feeling this Lexus has a death certificate somewhere in Japan for us in the US. With the Land Rover now dropping their truck based unit, I think Toyota will be softening up this in near future. They just haven’t put a penny in the interior, design, or safety features of these models in 10+ years.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

That’s odd on the XC90. We’ve driven both the Momentum and Inscription level trims. I found them to be more responsive, quieter, more user friendly, roomier etc than the Mercedes 550, the X5 and the Q7. Thought I have to say, they Q7 was a blast to drive and would be at the top of the list if the closest dealer wasn’t 1.5hr away.

None of the domestics are on our list. They feel cheap no matter the price tag.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayn

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Fred, how are you grossing 86,000, when the legal limit is 80,000:question: I’ve done it, but only when I knew there were no scale houses on the route!

Scales in the trucks, stay away from scale houses and if caught the weight ticket at that level is worth it. Over that and it’s not worth it. They are all hualling logs.

Well, we have come to the conclusion that there is an awful lot of crap out there that they are asking too high prices for. It seems as though none of the “luxury” models will do it for us. I really wish the Lexus had an updated interior and a more refined tranny for bett fuel economy. Ultimately, we decided against it and the 4Runner as we know there is no doubt they are about to either kill those models or come out with a drastic update and redesign.

To us, none of the others were worth the $60k+ price tag as we just weren’t head over heels about any of them. We’ve now come full circle and decided to just give some of the cheaper models with AWD and front wheel bias a shot as long as they have a 5000# tow rating.

So far the Honda Pilot is a great family hauler, phenomenal AWD system, and average tow vehicle. Mind boggling MPG, and only $47k loaded to the hilt with anything you can imagine.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

A note, my sister has been in a Pilot for probably going on 10 years, and the MPG numbers are NOT EVEN CLOSE to published numbers in the AWD models. But it is a great vehicle…

Don’t overlook the GMC Acadia Denali…fantastic fit and finish and decent numbers as well.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

The regulations on how they measure MPG has changed drastically in 10 years. The sticker is real world figures now.

We liked the Denali, but they downsized it this year and it only gets 4k towing now. They are chasing MPG like everyone else but don’t want to pony up for a German 8 or 9 speed tranny.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

just curious, what didnt you like about the BMW X5?

Ultimately it didn’t drive like a BMW. Felt floaty for a $68k BMW. Plus they nickel and dime you to death on options that others have standard. We then took a peak at resale, and it takes a huge hit the first 2 years. Just didn’t feel worth the price in the end.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

it felt floaty? it must have been a x5 without DHP. if you test drive one that had the DHP option, its a TOTALLY different car.

That’s what we hear. It did not have DHP. That also runs the price over $70k, so no point in us giving it a go. To do an X5 right, the price puts it close to Range Rover and Land Cruiser territory.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

The regulations on how they measure MPG has changed drastically in 10 years. The sticker is real world figures now.

We liked the Denali, but they downsized it this year and it only gets 4k towing now. They are chasing MPG like everyone else but don’t want to pony up for a German 8 or 9 speed tranny.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Yeah, real world my ass…

I realize my comment could be read that she’s been in the SAME Pilot for 10 years. That is not the case. The new one is a 2016 and same results according to her.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

6 speed or 9 speed?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Everything I have found, piloteers website, fuelly, and reviews have all stated the same. 20-22 combined average which is right in line with the sticker. On the hwy they are getting 25-27 mpg. This is on Elite AWDs with the 9 speed, and also 2014+ Acura MDXs which have the exact same drivetrain and dimensions. She might want to have it checked out. I know they had a TSB on a trans software reprogram for 2016 9 speed cars. Might make a difference in MPG.

P.S. and never trust an on board computer for mpg calculations. Only manual calculations. I have found on board computers to be way off. Some high, some low.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

GMC is still selling the old larger body Acadia as the ‘Acadia Limited.’ I don’t know if they are still making them or just have that many in inventory still. But, they still have them.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25