Luxury Tow SUV help

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure what would possess GM to cling to a decade old design. Especially when they have a new body style on lots. They did that with the old Silverado and I didn’t understand it then either. I guess this is an Acadia “Classic”.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

If you’re looking a domestics in a midsize SUV, take a look at the Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel. 30+mpg highway, mid-high 20’s in town, good torque and tow capacity and not a bad ride. Only seats 5 though. Chrystler has stepped their game up over the last few years.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

So here is where everything falls now. As far as a non-luxury 3 row SUV (crossover), the nod goes to the Honda Pilot. It beat out everything else to us. Durango, Highlander, 4Runner, GMC models, and the Kia/Hyundia. However, it still just didn’t fell like “the” car. Didn’t have that, ooh I love my car feeling, even though it did everything we wanted it to do really well. So unless Toyota can step up their game on the 4Runner updates, a luxury model is likely still in the cards for us.

The GX460 is still sitting at the top, but we aren’t in any rush and we can wait and see what kind of new safety features, and other adds they intend to put on the next model or refresh. The fact that the 4Runner and GX460 will be the only 2 Toyota products in 2017 without all of Toyotas safety sense products standard tells me they are in for a new design.

So, since we are not in any rush, and can wait a bit, we are going to wait and keep our eyes out for 3 key updates in the coming months. If they don’t look interesting, or never happen we will just go pick up a 2017 GX460 next July/August. The 3 models we are keeping our eye on are:

2018 4Runner, possible redesign or major upgrade
2018 Lexus RX350L, supposed to be a 3 row version of the RX
2018 Lexus GX460, redesign or major update

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I may have missed it in the thread, but have you considered the Nissan Armada? We have had one for several years and love it.

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty
Scott.Fulton@AgentOwnedRealty.com

Key West 1720

New update. Something none of the dealers told us while we were looking at the Lexus GX, is that there is a special order package that you can get on the top level Luxury trim that gives you some advance parking aides. Like an upgraded backup camera that gives you projected path as you turn the wheel, a side camera for checking curb distance, and a front camera. Along with the usual radar cruise control and lane assist, which we really don’t care for but comes in the package. It does add the really neat crawl control and adjustable height suspension, which is kind of cool, though likely never to be used until it gets some serious miles on it and gets handed down to me for hunting/fishing duty.

So it looks like there is a way to get a current model GX460 with some of the better parking assist features that we want. So we are on the hunt for the best deal we can find on a Luxury trim GX with the very hard to find Driver Support Package in either black or white.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Stay tuned. Update and final decision coming Monday.

Another model to add to this search is the 2017 Acadia Denali. We passed over it initially but went back and gave it a shot. Really nice car. Does a lot of things well. Only tows 4000# but the engine is really strong so could easily take it to that towing limit. Felt like it was on the cusp of trying to be a luxury car, but is still a GMC. But oh my lord at the price. $54k equipped they way we needed it. Very little discount and no rebates on a new car. If anyone is considering, I recommend waiting for some big $5k-$6k rebates likely to come in a few months.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Right now is probably the worst time to buy a vehicle. November & December are my favorite times to buy. Black Friday imo being the best. End of the Month and pick a Sunday after knowing what you want.

ONe thing for sure, you did your homework on this purchase.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I can usually buy a car within a week or two. You been talking about buying a car for over 2 months. Just bustin your balls a little, but it ain’t gotta be this difficult

What can I say stunter. You’re just better than me.

For reference, the past 12 cars I have bought were settled on in 1-2 weeks. Tell me, how many times have you tried to combine the functionality of two cars you own, please the wife, and spend $65k+ on a car? Kind of complicates things. Fell free to PM me some tips, as I am obviously doing something wrong. I’ll be sure to use them in about 10-15 years when I may be faced with a similar situation.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Just busting your chops Geronimo. I feel your pain. Pleasing a wife can be a difficult thing! good luck with the car search my friend. Looking forward to see what you bought.

quote:
Originally posted by stunter

Just busting your chops Geronimo. I feel your pain. Pleasing a wife can be a difficult thing! good luck with the car search my friend. Looking forward to see what you bought.

Don’t worry Stunter… Geronimo tends to lash out at others like a little child…

Get’m real frustrated he’ll put you on “ignore”… He can’t control himself…

Guess if he waits long enough there will be choices between the 2018 models and upgrades… Prolly take another year for decision making after that, and then rinse and repeat…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

What can I say stunter. You’re just better than me.

For reference, the past 12 cars I have bought were settled on in 1-2 weeks. Tell me, how many times have you tried to combine the functionality of two cars you own, please the wife, and spend $65k+ on a car? Kind of complicates things. Fell free to PM me some tips, as I am obviously doing something wrong. I’ll be sure to use them in about 10-15 years when I may be faced with a similar situation.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

What’s crazy is 65k+ is really not on the high side for what you are looking for. Hard to believe a New Truck is as much as a house (on a small lot) was a few years ago.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Sorry folks. False alarm. Crappy dealer lied about the condition. Drove all the way to Atlanta with a rental car and a check expecting to drive it home and ended up walking out. Sweet rental car though.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

There is only one right answer - Suburban. Anything else is fake news.

Two words. Land yacht. They work great if you are Mormon though.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

i dont think that’s going to tow too well

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

There is only one right answer - Suburban. Anything else is fake news.

^^^^^ may very well be true

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

So we recently narrowed it down to a top 4, and began driving them again and really trying them out with the family to see how they fit into our lifestyle. The 4 we narrowed down to are the GX460 Primium, Acura MDX SH-AWD in Advance pkg., BMW X5 X35i, and the Jaguar F-Pace Prestige 20D (Diesel).

Here is how they stacked up:

Fun to Drive (Handling/Power)

Tie 1. BMW X5
Tie 1. Acura MDX
3. Jaguar F-Pace
4. GX460

Reliability/Maintenance Cost

Tie 1. GX460
Tie 1. Acura MDX
3. BMW X5 (Incl. Maintenance)
4. Jaguar F-Pace (Unknown Model)

Tow Capacity/Ability

1. Jaguar F-Pace (Diesel 7,700#)
  2. GX460 (6,600# Body on Frame)
  3. BMW X5 (6,000#)
  4. Acura MDX (5,000#)

Cockpit Comfort/Luxury

1. BMW X5
  2. Acura MDX
  3. Jaguar F-Pace
  4. GX460

2nd Row Comfort/Luxury

1. Acura MDX
  2. BMW X5
  3. GX460
  4. Jaguar F-Pace

3rd Row Size

1. Acura MDX
  2. GX460
  3. BMW X5
  4. Jaguar F-Pace (No 3rd row)

Cargo Room

1. GX460 (46.70)
  2. Acura MDX (38.4)
  3. BMW X5 (35.8) Love the Tailgate though
  4. Jaguar F-Pace (33.5)

Fuel Economy

1. Jaguar F-Pace (29) Diesel
  2. Acura MDX (22)
  3. BMW X5 (20)
  4. GX460 (17)

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Even though this model came in last, we almost went with it. The diesel is awesome, and the wife loved this one a lot. However, we just couldn’t convince ourselves that it was practical enough with its smaller back seat, no third row, and smallest cargo hold. Perhaps I will get one in 2-3 years as my primary vehicle for travel so we have the best of both worlds.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace Prestige 20D

Total Score: 16

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Third place ultimately came down because of the unrefined/updated interior and horrible fuel mileage. The looks, truck like utility use, and Lexus reliability almost made us overlook the obvious flaws.

2017 GX460 Premium

Total Score: 19

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115