Miss Phin Cinco de Mayo Americanos this afternoon.

What does a Hogfish look like on the sonar?

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

Your perspective, however, is not perfect reality either. Rob may be close to having dove as many spots as I’ve looked at and fished over, but I seriously doubt it. It is not possible. I will fish 20-30 spots in a day. There’s no way you can dive that much. You have higher quality data for your samples, but your distribution is much more sparse than mine. How can you not understand that?

Pure BS. 30 spots in a day for a 12 hour day is just over 3 spots per hour. That means you are at a different spot every 20 minutes. Add in your anchoring time, ride out, ride back in, and transit between spots and that doesn't leave you with much fishing... Completely unrealistic.

Next, you obviousy don’t know jack about statistics. If Rob has 1500 dives and you have 2000 fishing “spots”, then statistically, your sample sizes produce about the same confidence interval in your findings. To put it in your own words… Ahem… “How can you not understand that?”

quote:
but I am not taking the "Tony Soprano Challenge"...

At least not for another month, or so…now everyone kiss and make up, before someone brings up Greg getting sea sick.

Dave
Go Tigers!!!

Wow…we went from wes catching ARS’s to me betting my balls!!

Great analogy Greg! I won’t take that bet though. Like I said before, I ASSUME that they are B-liners because of the mark, and the way they hang off the bottom. I ASSUME that there are some large grouper around the B-liners, as they are a major forage fish. But more than once we have dropped to find Ruby Red Lips, and Big AJ’s instead of B-liners and Grouper. skinnee used opne of my words in an earlier post…“indicator species” such as hinds, moray eels, ringtail porgies, scorpion fish…these tell me I AM ON GROUPER. I have a place in 120’ that you will not mark the fist fish on, but at 3:00 pm the bite turns on. The Grouper are in the structure, and won’t come out. Unless you are looking at a video camera, you can’t say with 100% that you know what you are looking at.

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I’ve never heard him say that Skinnee. Nothing even close to that. Phin is one of the most laid back fisherman I know and a pleasure to have on the boat or hanging out somewhere. He’s always lots of fun no matter where we are and never a “know-it-all” like Gregory makes him out to be.

I’m sure you guys are just bored at work as usual and screwing with Phinigan for kicks, but you are letting the douchey one lead you astray. Greg has a way of pulling the worst out in people. He’s so good at it, you don’t even have to know him personally. Just look at how worked up people get when talking to him online. It’s comical almost.

Fight it Skinnee, fight it.

I’m back and I’ve promised to behave this time.
I want to be like Fritz when I grow up.
Edisto-Fisher is my hero…internetly speaking.
My heart is in Antarctica.
Lone Ranger is a tool…man.

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Almost?

You guys enjoy bashing or criticizing whatever you can with whoever the next guy is. I have some respect for Rob here because he actually does spend the time and effort on what he does like I try to with what I do.

Not one of you posers has put a report up with a limit of ARS that I’ve seen, and I’ve limited on them 3 times in a row when I went after them and I was running the boat.

My theories work for me. You are too arrogant to believe that they could work for anybody else, and you’re bent on proving someone wrong all the time. I can never win. I support everything I say with where I get the opinions or facts from, and I get picked on for being long-winded or easily wound up. I’m not wound up; I just respect somebody enough to answer them. I defend ideas and info because I had confidence in them to begin with.

Try and have a little more respect when you’re bored at home programing computer apps or selling bed pans.

I’m going fishing in the morning. We won’t call it a fish off though.

Tight loops*

Luke 8:22-25

quote:

You guys enjoy bashing or criticizing whatever you can with whoever the next guy is. I have some respect for Rob here because he actually does spend the time and effort on what he does like I try to with what I do.

Not one of you posers has put a report up with a limit of ARS that I’ve seen, and I’ve limited on them 3 times in a row when I went after them and I was running the boat.

My theories work for me. You are too arrogant to believe that they could work for anybody else, and you’re bent on proving someone wrong all the time. I can never win. I support everything I say with where I get the opinions or facts from, and I get picked on for being long-winded or easily wound up. I’m not wound up; I just respect somebody enough to answer them. I defend ideas and info because I had confidence in them to begin with.

Try and have a little more respect when you’re bored at home programing computer apps or selling bed pans.

I’m going fishing in the morning. We won’t call it a fish off though.

Tight loops*

If you are going to call me out in your original post, at least don't act like a little sorority girl when I come back with something.

It’s easy to put up a limit of red snappers when you only have 3 people on the boat. Go back and read my report where we got a 5 man limit of gags and sweetened up the pot with 6 red snapper as bycatch. Maybe that will give you something to look forward to one day. I almost forgot. We didn’t have to pinch the tail on ours…

quote:

I have some respect for Rob here because he actually does spend the time and effort on what he does like I try to with what I do.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>Tell us about the day you spent on the boat with Rob please…

It is obvious that you cannot accept that I could be nearly as good at any type of fishing as you, Skinnee. You’re talking about one trip.

How did you get on those fish? Did someone give you the numbers or did you find them? Be proud of what you did. Don’t act like you’ve been there and done that and it’s beneath you now. Do it again. Go get a limit of snapper. I have got 4 people limits twice and 3 people yesterday because my 17 footers could not hold anymore people. Give me the keys to your boat and a tank of gas if you think I can’t do better. There’s no need to belittle my reports or what I can do. I have never acted like it was anything much at all until people start piling on. And I refuse to keep my mouth shut about techniques or strategies just because I don’t know everything. If everyone did that, we’d not learn anything from one another. You people who take what I say as knowing it all or the gospel are insecure or jealous; plain and simple. I love what I do, and I love learning better ways to do things. You have some good points with all that you’ve said about fish showing on the sonar, but as I’ve said, you’ve refused to recognize any correlation between how I think about it and what is produced when I have the opportunity and the desire to do it.

Rob made his points respectfully, so I returned that respect to him. I am not foolish enough to consider that he does not pay close attention to details when he can do the work that took me a while to figure out in converting numbers. Then, there’s all the technical diving and the related preparation in order for him to consistently does what he does safely.

I have offered the same respect for you regarding things I know you’re better at than most or just common courtesy, but it seems to be thrown back in my face. That’s you and greg, skinnee. So don’t be upset when I rib you about spearing instead of rod and reeling or using the sonar instead of dropping with tanks.

Hope y’all catch em up tomorrow. I will be out there

quote:

It is obvious that you cannot accept that I could be nearly as good at any type of fishing as you, Skinnee. You’re talking about one trip.

How did you get on those fish? Did someone give you the numbers or did you find them? Be proud of what you did. Don’t act like you’ve been there and done that and it’s beneath you now. Do it again. Go get a limit of snapper. I have got 4 people limits twice and 3 people yesterday because my 17 footers could not hold anymore people. Give me the keys to your boat and a tank of gas if you think I can’t do better. There’s no need to belittle my reports or what I can do. I have never acted like it was anything much at all until people start piling on. And I refuse to keep my mouth shut about techniques or strategies just because I don’t know everything. If everyone did that, we’d not learn anything from one another. You people who take what I say as knowing it all or the gospel are insecure or jealous; plain and simple. I love what I do, and I love learning better ways to do things. You have some good points with all that you’ve said about fish showing on the sonar, but as I’ve said, you’ve refused to recognize any correlation between how I think about it and what is produced when I have the opportunity and the desire to do it.

Rob made his points respectfully, so I returned that respect to him. I am not foolish enough to consider that he does not pay close attention to details when he can do the work that took me a while to figure out in converting numbers. Then, there’s all the technical diving and the related preparation in order for him to consistently does what he does safely.

I have offered the same respect for you regarding things I know you’re better at than most or just common courtesy, but it seems to be thrown back in my face. That’s you and greg, skinnee. So don’t be upset when

quote:

Posers?

Lol.

I haven’t seen you come back with 2 state record cuberas or 9 flags in one trip…blah blah blah…its bottom fishing dude. Its not easy, but its not hard either.

Get over yourself.

So in summary, Phin took his little boat and some buddies fishing yesterday,

Caught some fish using his numbers and a controversial reading of his fishfinder.

He then took a poke at Skinneej about reading the fishfinder.

A 4 page fight has ensued involving the Skinnee possy. As they bashed one of CF.coms bottom fishing gurus.

Few came to Phin’s assistance instead watched from the side lines as the battle developed blah, blah, blah…

Tune in for tomorrow’s episode as the dynamic duo (skinneej and Greg1)take on the evil Phin and his inept fishfinder skills when they venture out into the world of OFFSHORE FISHING! Same Skinnee time same skinnee channel.

REPUBLICAN
Because not everyone can be on welfare

All Rise - 31 Contender Fish Around with a pair of 250 Yamahas

23Scoutin4Fernandos,

Do you think Phin can tell the difference between a Pinky and a B-liner on his sonar?

Do you also realize that this debate has happened 10 times and it’s the first time I’ve commented on it? So don’t act like we’re ganging up on Phin.

Phin has been bottom fishing for like 4 years and thinks it’s hard. That’s why he beats his chest when he catches 6 Snapper.

I’ver been bottom fishing for 3 years and think it’s easy.

I didn’t par a hole the first 30 times I played golf, but I limitted on Snapper and Grouper on many of my first 5 trips.

Sure…fishing is humbling…but it certainly isn’t hard.

Would you guys go ahead and consummate this marriage already?

Phin - call me today.

Originally posted by livinandfishin

Trust me, while your pinned down taking enemy fire and you call in for air support and you hear a jets afterburner crackin the air overhead would be the most liberating sound you could ever ask for. I haven’t experienced that first hand in actual combat, but I have trained in a similar scenario where it still makes the hair stand up on your body.

They pick because they love…

I’m back and I’ve promised to behave this time.
I want to be like Fritz when I grow up.
Edisto-Fisher is my hero…internetly speaking.
My heart is in Antarctica.
Lone Ranger is a tool…man.

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Guys, there is something to knowing the marks on your recorder. I fished commercially for about 6 months out of Little River on a Bandit Boat. I can personally speak for a certain captains ability to identify what was on the bottom, I am not saying he could identify individual blips. We used a paper machine and 9 times out of ten you would pull up what he said was there, was he lucky? Probably, did he know what was historically on those numbers, Probably. I do know that he kept every roll of paper and had records that went 10-20 years back from that type of machine. He was always comparing the density of the marks with what he knew to hold certain fish, so yes I do think he could identify certain types of fish from the light or dark contrast on the machine. Today, I know he uses up to date technology and yes he still is pretty accurate with colors of masses in relation to whats down there. Is it because hes been fishing these same bottoms for over 40 years, could be, but if he tells me to drop and you gonna pick up a grouper, bl, aj, Hell I’m ready cause I’ve seen him do it so many times before. Ask some of the uneducated, drunk, addict commercials that were so kindly pointed out by a certain board member and you just might learn a thing or two from someone who spends 7-10 days out on the water each trip.

quote:
Originally posted by 2Asas

Guys, there is something to knowing the marks on your recorder. I fished commercially for about 6 months out of Little River on a Bandit Boat. I can personally speak for a certain captains ability to identify what was on the bottom, I am not saying he could identify individual blips. We used a paper machine and 9 times out of ten you would pull up what he said was there, was he lucky? Probably, did he know what was historically on those numbers, Probably. I do know that he kept every roll of paper and had records that went 10-20 years back from that type of machine. He was always comparing the density of the marks with what he knew to hold certain fish, so yes I do think he could identify certain types of fish from the light or dark contrast on the machine. Today, I know he uses up to date technology and yes he still is pretty accurate with colors of masses in relation to whats down there. Is it because hes been fishing these same bottoms for over 40 years, could be, but if he tells me to drop and you gonna pick up a grouper, bl, aj, Hell I’m ready cause I’ve seen him do it so many times before. Ask some of the uneducated, drunk, addict commercials that were so kindly pointed out by a certain board member and you just might learn a thing or two from someone who spends 7-10 days out on the water each trip.

Nobody’s denying that a fish finder is a valuable tool and knowing your machine can greatly improve your catches.

However, I can tell you with 70% accuracy what I’m going to catch on the ledge without even looking at the sonar screen all day and I’ve only been bottom fishing for 3 years.

If I was on the water for 250 days a year for 40 years I hope I’d be able to do it with 95% accuracy.

YES…I WOULD HOPE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO.:clown_face:

quote:
Originally posted by greg1

23Scoutin4Fernandos,

Do you think Phin can tell the difference between a Pinky and a B-liner on his sonar?

Do you also realize that this debate has happened 10 times and it’s the first time I’ve commented on it? So don’t act like we’re ganging up on Phin.

Phin has been bottom fishing for like 4 years and thinks it’s hard. That’s why he beats his chest when he catches 6 Snapper.

I’ver been bottom fishing for 3 years and think it’s easy.

I didn’t par a hole the first 30 times I played golf, but I limitted on Snapper and Grouper on many of my first 5 trips.

Sure…fishing is humbling…but it certainly isn’t hard.

Yo Greg90210Fletch,

Not saying Phin can identify each blip he sees and he is probably not as good at it as he thinks but, he has a system that works for him. He is confident in it and produces fish. He got a bunch of experience last year and catches more he## for what he catches than anyone else on this site. Now he does bring it on himself sometimes but say what you want he is not a bad bottom guy.

REPUBLICAN
Because not everyone can be on welfare

All Rise - 31 Contender Fish Around with a pair of 250 Yamahas

He catches he## because of the way he posts.

Now, I know he’s shown you a few things about bottom fishing and that makes you want to hop into a warm shower with him, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s an enormous D-bag and his posts reflect that.

And as for his fishing abilities…who cares? Like PQ said…it’s bottom fishing. It ain’t that hard. Anybody that cares enough to put in the time should be able to figure it out in a season or two.