Obama Executive Orders On Guns

Someone needs to take the keys away from the driver of this panic bus. They’re only helping to stoke the panic buying flames.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

So, say if a person has 300 guns, mostly collectors items and zero paperwork on them, how do they go about finding them and making them register the guns?

Threat of jail time and fines... If you knew you could go to prison for 5 years per violation and it's only a matter of time before your neighbor mentions your awesome gun collection, would you risk it? I wouldn't.

Many people have been turned in by pissed off x-wives for tax evasion, etc.

How much blood was on the streets when the Brady Bill passed?

Also, was there not a ban on assault weapons from 1994 - 2004? “Federal Assault Weapons Ban”…

I’d risk it.

Besides I’m like Dfreedom… I don’t own any weapons other than kitchen knives.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. I don’t own any guns, all my were sold or stolen.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Problem is, you can't use guns that you don't have, at the range, hunting, carrying in your car, protecting your family, etc...

What’s the point of “not owning” a gun that you can’t ever use???

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
quote:

So, say if a person has 300 guns, mostly collectors items and zero paperwork on them, how do they go about finding them and making them register the guns?

Threat of jail time and fines... If you knew you could go to prison for 5 years per violation and it's only a matter of time before your neighbor mentions your awesome gun collection, would you risk it? I wouldn't.

Also, was there not a ban on assault weapons from 1994 - 2004? “Federal Assault Weapons Ban”…

I’d risk it.

I think a couple years ago, you were very supportive of a "mandatory sentence of 5 years for a 'gun charge'".... Imagine one day in 1984 (the future) where the government has a registry. And imagine that you don't have guns then. And then imagine a criminal broke into your house and you had to use one of those guns that you didn't own... And then imagine the police report afterwards... And then imagine the 5 year sentence for the failed license\registration of a firearm... Makes you think a bit...
quote:

Gun registration is not happening in this country.

I love optimism... Pop Quiz: Does anyone know what is required to purchase a "machine gun"\full auto in the USA?

Let me remind you:

<> Pay a tax of $200, which in 1934 was worth over $3,500
<> Fill out a lengthy application to register your gun with the federal government
<> Submit photographs
<> Submit passport photos
<> Get your chief law enforcement official to sign your application
<> Wait for the results of your background check to come back

Oh, and let’s look at the penalty for a violation of this:

“A violation of the national firearms act results in a felony punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison, a $100,000 fine, and forfeiture of the individual’s right to own or possess firearms in the future.”

The democrats have a stiffy for AR-15s\AK47s. Thinking that this will “never happen” to “assault rifles” is just empty optimism. Mark my words, “It WILL happen” because of the Capt Fritz and poly ball’s of the world…

(warning: this question is rhetorical) Am I the only one that has noticed that the country is becoming MORE AND MORE liberal with each generation?

It’s silly to think that our values of today will still be respected tomorrow. Heck, the USA is not even that old and look at how much things have changed in our short history. Just a hundred years ago, people would have thought you were insane for suggesting that in 2015, we have the “Patriot Act”, or a privately controlled central bank printing fiat dollars, Social Security, 50% taxes, government sponsored home loans, universal healthcare, etc. They would have called you “asinine” for even suggesting something like that was possible.

quote:

I’d risk it.

Not me. I don't want to spend time in prison away from my family to prove a point to someone who doesn't care. I don't think the food will be good there, and I don't want to be forced to join an ethnic gang in order to protect my butthole at night.

Ha, remember when people were saying that US citizens could never be forced to buy healthcare by penalty of law? Those were the days…

quote:
Problem is, you can't use guns that you don't have, at the range, hunting, carrying in your car, protecting your family, etc...

I said what I said, somewhat tongue in cheek but, you don’t have to report when you shoot and what you shoot when you go to the range (99% of my range shooting is done at non-public ranges anyway), I no longer hunt (no time) and as for protecting my family, I have 2 department issued weapons that will do that just fine.

I got my first concealed weapon permit in GA when I was 18 years old. That was 1970. Back then the license? had the weapon brand, model, caliber and serial#. I had a Ruger .357 and the permit was specific to that revolver. Now when you get one they don’t ask what firearm you have, the CCW is good for anything, including knives, brass knuckles, nunchaks or anything else.

When you buy a gun from a gun shop they have to call you in to the feds, but they don’t give them the model and serial number of the weapon you are buying. It’s just a background check, not a weapons registry. So they know I probably have a weapon or 2, but they don’t have a clue how many or what type.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom
quote:

I said what I said, somewhat tongue in cheek but, you don’t have to report when you shoot and what you shoot when you go to the range (99% of my range shooting is done at non-public ranges anyway), I no longer hunt (no time) and as for protecting my family, I have 2 department issued weapons that will do that just fine.

Yes, I caught the tongue in cheek remark... What I am saying is, if potentially there was a registration and you "don't have any weapons" (i.e. you don't want to register them), are you really going to take them out of hiding? I wouldn't be caught dead in public with an illegal firearm. Sure you don't have to "report" shooting at the range, but how hard do you think Uncle Sam has to look in the year 2050 when you use credit card purchases to buy ammo at Wally World? I doubt cash will be around in 2050.

Again, if you are hiding an arsenal of unregistered firearms, it’s very possible that in the year 2050, you are considered a “potential terrorist” which opens you up to unlawful searches (i.e. “Patriot Act”). The federal government has access to everything you search for on Google. By 2050, they will know every credit card transaction, phone call, GPS coordinates of you, tv show you watch, etc. It’s going to be scary what Moore’s Law does with technology in the next 30-40 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I got my first concealed weapon permit in GA when I was 18 years old. That was 1970. Back then the license? had the weapon brand, model, caliber and serial#. I had a Ruger .357 and the permit was specific to that revolver. Now when you get one they don’t ask what firearm you have, the CCW is good for anything, including knives, brass knuckles, nunchaks or anything else.

When you buy a gun from a gun shop they have to call you in to the feds, but they don’t give them the model and serial number of the weapon you are buying. It’s just a background check, not a weapons registry. So they know I probably have a weapon or 2, but they don’t have a clue how many or what type.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I'm pretty sure that they do write this information on the 2nd page of the application nowadays, but maybe it's state by state at this point.

I bought 2 guns at Dick’s Sporting Goods last year. The process involves you sitting down at a kiosk and typing in all of your information electronically. I know for sure that Dick’s keeps this information in their system. When you walk out by customer service, they check the SN’s on the weapon to make sure you are walking out with what you purchased.

Also, I bought a firearm when I was in Florida. There was a 5 day waiting period. If you go in, you fill out paperwork on what you purchase… So, if after 4-5 days, I decided that I didn’t want the Glock, but instead wanted a S&W, I would have had to fill out paperwork all over again and wait another 5 days from that point forward. I cite this example because they have to track this information somewhere or they wouldn’t make me start over.

That being said, my understanding is that there is not YET a registry. This information is supposed to be kept locally

quote:

nunchaks

I'm pretty sure that if I was a criminal and Cracker Larry met me at the door with a pair of nunchaks, that I would be hauling ass at that point!!! :smiley: I can picture a version of CL with a pair of these in each hand ready to open up a can of whoop ass on a would-be perpetrator!
quote:
quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I'm pretty sure that they do write this information on the 2nd page of the application nowadays, but maybe it's state by state at this point.

I bought 2 guns at Dick’s Sporting Goods last year. The process involves you sitting down at a kiosk and typing in all of your information electronically. I know for sure that Dick’s keeps this information in their system. When you walk out by customer service, they check the SN’s on the weapon to make sure you are walking out with what you purchased.

Also, I bought a firearm when I was in Florida. There was a 5 day waiting period. If you go in, you fill out paperwork on what you purchase… So, if after 4-5 days, I decided that I didn’t want the Glock, but instead wanted a S&W, I would have had to fill out paperwork all over again and wait another 5 days from that point forward. I cite this example because they have to track this information som

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’d risk it.

I think a couple years ago, you were very supportive of a "mandatory sentence of 5 years for a 'gun charge'".... Imagine one day in 1984 (the future) where the government has a registry. And imagine that you don't have guns then. And then imagine a criminal broke into your house and you had to use one of those guns that you didn't own... And then imagine the police report afterwards... And then imagine the 5 year sentence for

I’ve never bought a firearm outside of the state of GA, so don’t know any of the other laws. GA used to have a 5 day waiting period on purchasing handguns, but not now. You fill out the stupid fed form…have you ever been convicted of a felony, are you addicted to narcotics, are you undergoing psychiatric treatment, are you a fugitive from justice…? :smiley: The dealer calls it in to the FBI and 5 minutes later you are out the door. I’ve bought a few in the last few months and I sit right there while they call it in. The only info they want to know is if it’s a handgun, rifle or shotgun. Nothing else.

quote:
I'm pretty sure that if I was a criminal and Cracker Larry met me at the door with a pair of nunchaks, that I would be hauling ass at that point!!! I can picture a version of CL with a pair of these in each hand ready to open up a can of whoop ass on a would-be perpetrator!

Better shoot me quick :wink: I used to practice a lot with them. One pair is all I can handle now though, and even then I can be a real danger to myself. Ever hit yourself in the nuts or head with nunchaks?[:0]Dang :face_with_head_bandage: Probably better now that I just carry a pistol, I ain’t likely to shoot myself anyway:smiley:

But the day is young…

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’d risk it.

I think a couple years ago, you were very supportive of a "mandatory sentence of 5 years for a 'gun charge'".... Imagine one day in 1984 (the future) where the government has a registry. And imagine that you don't have guns then. And then imagine a criminal broke int

Have to say, I’m one of the gun owners that wouldn’t be upset if it was a little more difficult to purchase a gun. Bunch of Internet Rambos with no real training carrying make me just as nervous as criminals.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Have to say, I’m one of the gun owners that wouldn’t be upset if it was a little more difficult to purchase a gun. Bunch of Internet Rambos with no real training carrying make me just as nervous as criminals.

How many lives do "internet rambos" claim each year? Let's look at the stats. :wink:

Here is the big thing… Switching gears for a moment… Virtually EVERY time there is a mass shooting, there is ample “heads up” that it will happen. The story is ALWAYS the same… “Little Johnny wasn’t liked by anyone. He always went on these long tirades about how he was going to kill everyone on campus and even wrote letters about it, but we all didn’t take him seriously”… Same thing EVERY time!!! If we just started taking some of these early confessions, etc more seriously many of these could have been prevented.

quote:

Contrary to popular belief not all prisoners get butt plugged.

I’m a very pretty man though, and I can’t even take a suppository, so I don’t want to take my chances…

quote:
And yes, I am still for mandatory sentencing on crimes that a gun was used in. Dam#, you have a good memory! That topic was a good while back.

Thanks!!! Just remember, in the hypothetical situation we talked about, where you used an unregistered gun to defend your family, you might be staring at a mandatory sentence of 5 years or more. This is EXACTLY the scenario why I favor letting a judge be a judge and not have a “mandatory” sentence.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/California-Gun-Law-Seize-Guns-Without/2015/12/30/id/707588/