Summer Movies

If calling someone out for encouraging others to break the law is bullying, then this world needs some serious help. Call me a bully too then.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I would never accused anyone of theft or call them a thief online in a public forum unless I KNEW for a fact they stole from me and I had indisputable evidence of guilt.

The question I asked was a pretty simple one. What did he steal? If that is too difficult for you to answer then how about another easy one. What law did he break?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tech/2992997/kodi-boxes-illegal-penalties-facebook/amp/

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

Another good article. Great comments at the end. As I read it, there haven’t been any judicial decisions on it in the USofA.

If you’re the kind of person who came over to watch a movie, or an NFL game and left when you found out they were “pirated” by being streamed into your home, or worried about The Men In Black showing up at your house one day b/c you just watched the latest Little Mermaid movie, then no, this gizmo probably isn’t for you.

https://www.groundedreason.com/what-is-kodi-and-is-it-legal/

Maybe it's not that people are worried about the men in black, but maybe they have been taught that stealing in any form is just not right.

Sooo… If I purchase one of these gizmos that are sold by many legit companies I’m Breaking a law?

What is the law on these things Skinny? I did a little searching this morning and everything I see says it is legal? Where does the stealing come into play?

“Why Bruce?”

The devices are legal. And you have access to a ton of legal content. Watching pirated content is not. Again, read my original response to Hoppy’s comments about “men in black showing up”. Read between the lines. If all someone was watching was legal content, then why a “men in black showing up” reference? It’s pretty clear what was being implied.

I will say this for the 3rd or 4th time now. The choice to watch pirated content is not about the “men in black” for some people. It can be a moral choice. If we aren’t talking about illegal content, then there would be no “men in black” reference to set the context.

I could care less what Hoppy does in his man cave. I’m just saying that it’s ridiculous to assume people are scared of the “men in black” showing up as their sole reason to not do things that would warrant the “men in black” showing up.

And if Happy was talking about the “men in black” showing up to bust you for watching legal content, that would be like me saying people are scared to stop at red lights for fear of getting a ticket.

Thanks for the dance now back to the question of legality. What law states that you can not view pirated material? I’m curious and would like to learn. I couldn’t care less about the moral police but are more concerned about the law in our country.

“Men In Black” was meant figuratively, and skinnee knows that. That’s his crack in the armor to have an argument. As I said, there’s not a person on here that hasn’t shared something they don’t legally own. If you’ve ever watched a movie at someones house who was given a burned cd, or listened to a song that wasn’t legally purchased, then you’re a thief, according to skinnee logic. It’s a stupid argument actually

quote:

“Men In Black” was meant figuratively, and skinnee knows that. That’s his crack in the armor to have an argument. As I said, there’s not a person on here that hasn’t shared something they don’t legally own. If you’ve ever watched a movie at someones house who was given a burned cd, or listened to a song that wasn’t legally purchased, then you’re a thief, according to skinnee logic. It’s a stupid argument actually

Tried to share my wife once, but nobody would take me up on it… Guess I’ll have to pay…

RBF

quote:

“Men In Black” was meant figuratively, and skinnee knows that.

Of course it’s figurative. I never argued that it wasn’t. It’s figurative language for “watching pirated content”. You even confirmed that with your long spiel about breaking the law and burning CDs.

quote:
That's his crack in the armor to have an argument As I said, there's not a person on here that hasn't shared something they don't legally own.

Again, many of us grow out of stuff like that.

quote:
If you've ever watched a movie at someones house who was given a burned cd, or listened to a song that wasn't legally purchased, then you're a thief, according to skinnee logic. It's a stupid argument actually

Actually I never said that or implied it. If you show me a pirated movie, you are the one guilty of stealing, not me. So, you came up with the “stupid argument” all on your own.

quote:
Originally posted by Ithaca37

Thanks for the dance now back to the question of legality. What law states that you can not view pirated material? I’m curious and would like to learn. I couldn’t care less about the moral police but are more concerned about the law in our country.

Dance? Read my original post. I was very *clear* that legality was not my concern. My concern was with the *morality* of pirating content.

But to answer your question, a quick google search of “contributory infringement” would give you answers. It depends on what you mean by “view”. If you mean, “I walked into Hoppy’s house and saw a pirated movie”, then chances are you aren’t guilty of anything. But he would technically be guilty of some sort of copyright violation (again, assuming pirated content), even if it was never enforced (i.e. the “men in black” never came after him).

But we all know that morality is the ONLY thing of concern here. People watch pirated content all of the time. Literally MILLIONS of people. Movie makers, PPV events aren’t coming after the “little guys”. It’s not worth their time or effort to try to sue Hoppy for $19.95. They are going after the “big fish” who are providing this service for the Hoppy’s of the world. So, while there are copyright laws on the books, they aren’t really being enforced at the level of the individual streaming pirated content to his house. So, again, it’s a moral decision, not a legal one.

There is no question, it’s stealing of intellectual property. There isn’t any enforcement, so that’s where integrity comes into the picture.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

Dance? Read my original post. I was very *clear* that legality was not my concern. My concern was with the *morality* of pirating content.

But to answer your question, a quick google search of “contributory infringement” would give you answers. It depends on what you mean by “view”. If you mean, “I walked into Hoppy’s house and saw a pirated movie”, then chances are you aren’t guilty of anything. But he would technically be guilty of some sort of copyright violation (again, assuming pirated content), even if it was never enforced (i.e. the “men in black” never came after him).

But we all know that morality is the ONLY thing of concern here. People watch pirated content all of the time. Literally MILLIONS of people. Movie makers, PPV events aren’t coming after the “little guys”. It’s not worth their time or effort to try to sue Hoppy for $19.95. They are going after the “big fish” who are providing this service for the Hoppy’s of the world. So, while there are copyright laws on the books, they aren’t really being enforced at the level of the individual streaming pirated content to his house. So, again, it’s a moral decision, not a legal one.

There is no question, it’s stealing of intellectual property. There isn’t any enforcement, so that’s where integrity comes into the picture.

<hr height="1" n

You paid for the cable, you can record it and watch it later. Just like if you buy a cd, you can copy it and listen to it from the copy, or keep the copy as a backup because you purchased it. Surprised you needed to ask the question to understand how that works.

Stop trying to justify watching a movie that is stil in the theaters that you haven’t paid for. You all know it ain’t legal, but do what you want.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I asked “what did he steal?” and “what law did he break”? I’m not trying to justify anything. I’m trying to find answers from people that seem to know the law but will not share their knowledge and will only persecute.

If all you can say is ‘it’s wrong’ then say it. Don’t call him a thief or say he is stealing. You know there are laws on slander.

quote:

You know there are laws on slander.

Get a lawsuit together and sue me. Let me know when the court date is. I'm shaking in my boots here.

Remember I don’t have a dog in this fight. I just can’t get over all the name calling and accusations from people that have no idea what they are talking about. They try to simplify a complex issue. And when they can’t provide any evidence they resort to ‘well it’s wrong and you know it morally’. Fine, I agree it’s wrong and never said I did it but to call someone a thief and accused them of stealing without any proof is wrong in my book. You could have said ‘I believe it is wrong’ or ‘I think it is wrong’. You spoke with authority when you had none.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

You paid for the cable, you can record it and watch it later. Just like if you buy a cd, you can copy it and listen to it from the copy, or keep the copy as a backup because you purchased it. Surprised you needed to ask the question to understand how that works.

Stop trying to justify watching a movie that is stil in the theaters that you haven’t paid for. You all know it ain’t legal, but do what you want.

But you would never give a copy of that cd, to a friend, or your mother, bc that would be stealing, and they in fact would then be using pirated materiel. Correct?

People still burn CDs?

quote:

Remember I don’t have a dog in this fight. I just can’t get over all the name calling and accusations from people that have no idea what they are talking about. They try to simplify a complex issue. And when they can’t provide any evidence they resort to ‘well it’s wrong and you know it morally’. Fine, I agree it’s wrong and never said I did it but to call someone a thief and accused them of stealing without any proof is wrong in my book. You could have said ‘I believe it is wrong’ or ‘I think it is wrong’. You spoke with authority when you had none.

Are you not reading all of the responses? I gave you the answer using specific terms. I'm sorry, but you are just wrong. And you really aren't fooling anyone alternating between aliases either.

I mean, for Pete’s sake, you don’t even know the difference between libel and slander and you want to argue legality of copyright infringement?

you’ve lost a step old man. slander was put out there yesterday.

peapod knows the difference oh so well