Tell me you're local without saying it

How about the old spooky metal draw bridge going onto Edisto Beach?

Can’t find any pictures of the long Edisto pier off the Pavillion before it got tore down to this little knub. I’ve got mom looking for pics. She thinks it was late 70’s
edisto-pier

1 Like

1 Like

Billys back home restaurant on Ben Saywer in Mt p The essence and taste of low country

2 Likes

yo Fripp the Dukes in Ridgeville is still legit. i go there frequently. different owners now, but the food is just as good. only open weekends. only time i eat rutabagas is there. i’ve tried making them myself and yea right good luck.

Hey hammurred. The Dukes in Ridgeville has always been good. When my wife and I had our camp on Cardinal lane near Givhans we often used to go to Dukes to eat. It was kind of neat when the train came by. You brought back memories. Wish we hadn’t sold our place there on the Edisto. Those Arkansas catfish really kinda messed up the redbreast fishing. I used to call those predatory arkansas catfish by another name.

1 Like

Live Bream is the best bait for them. Mr. Judy caught a 70lber that had a 1 1/2 bass in it and two decent red breast. Yes sir I believe that is the main reason for the decline in redbreast in the Edisto. My personal best was 68lbs. Didn’t have a camera with me back then. Used a cast net in my pond for the brim and if we didn’t get enough we’d stop at Reid’s and get a beef heart and cut into strips. Didn’t pick up so many flat heads on that but it did good for the Blue’s. So cool to run your bush lines and see a limb dancing up and down.

2 Likes

Talking about FlatHead catfish, was a time that you never caught one other than the Edisto. I’ve now caught them in the Ashepoo and Combahee. I’ve known Crab trappers to find them in their traps so I’m assuming either someone introduced them to these rivers or they made it out to salt and then back into the fresh water. ? The last Flathead I caught in the Asheepoo had a medium blue crab in its stomach.

Any of you guys caught any in other river systems around our coast? I know some have been caught in the Savannah River.

We had a thread on here a while ago on the decline of blue crabs… Maybe we all need to get out and catch a mess of flatheads. They sure do eat good.

Buck n Bass in Mt Pleasant…I forget the owner’s name, but he sure was patient and helpful back when I was around 11yro learning the saltwater game in '96.

1 Like

Seems like I remember reading something a while back about the Flatheads had been migrating into the Georgia Rivers as well. This might have been about the same time or before I started to hear of Flatheads getting into Ashepoo and Combahee. I remember hearing or reading that the Flatheads had some tolerance to saltwater and that during rainy seasons when the salinity line would migrate down river that the Flatheads could leapfrog from one river to another.

When they started showing up in the Edisto a lot of local fisherman were upset. The story going around at the time was that the DNR had accidentally or otherwise released a load of Flatheads that were destined for the Santee lakes. As a result the DNR had a public meeting with fishermen and concerned citizens at the Givhans Park Meeting House. The DNR denied they had anything to do with the introduction of the Flatheads.

When my wife and I started fishing that part of the Edisto in around '85 or so and we used to catch the heck out of Redbreasts with hardly any effort or competency!? Later on years, after we became more proficient and knowledgeable it became harder to catch many fish and that was when we started hearing about the Flatheads.

One night I had walked out to the dock and in the illumination from the dock light was this large foreign looking creature about 3 or more feet long hovering in the shallows. As I tried to get a better look at him he spotted me and literally shot out of sight like a rocket.
No wonder these Arkansas Flatheads have had such a negative impact on our native fish.
And stories abounded of finding 1-2 lb bass, jackfish and full grown redbreasts in the stomachs of the ones that were caught.

Let’s make some catfish stew. Hadn’t made one in a while , I used to enjoy putting one together.

Your hearing about DNR must come from the same rumor mill I heard about. The rumor told to me was DNR traded some of the Santee Stripers for the flat heads. ? When we fished for them DNR actually allowed fishing with Live Bream for Flat heads in the Edisto only. Wonder if it’s still legal… might have to check on that. Some catfish stew does sound good.

1 Like

That’s right. I remember now, the DNR did allow for bream bait just in the Edisto.

My wifes uncle had a place on Cannon Road with a nice little canal that ran off from the river to make a neat little current sheltered boat landing. One night we were visiting and a young couple came slowly in, their jon boat was sitting way low in the water and heard the young wife say that water was overflowing from out of the bait well center seat they were so low. When they unloaded, the catfish covered the entire bed and then some of their older Datsun/Nissan pickup. Most were 10 - 15 lbs and there must’ve been 8-10 25+ pounders.
I think some of the bigger ones had these little 22cal holes in their heads?

Can’t think of his name. Crazy Cajun, while we wait, we will hydrate. Cooks Crawfish.

But anyway he’s got a video trapping catfish. Traps made out of 55 gallon barrels.

Full moon saloon Coleman Blvd.

That’s stale Cracker. He’s got tons of cool videos and does a large variety of food cooking, hunting, and fishing videos. Getting a lot of imitators out there.

I might just break out my old telephone and call up old Mr. Flathead .

https://twitter.com/WatchPalmetto/status/1669391657475637249?s=20

The only one I ever saw was a friends. He had it hooked up to an electric motor. He was in the Savanah river using it in a deep hole near the bank and hit a big wasp nest and tipped the boat losing most everything in it.

Nothing worse than letting a moccasin fall in your boat other than hitting an overhanging wasp nest. Going upriver above Mars Old Field some years ago with my wife we had to squeeze by a wasp nest that was hanging in the center of the river in a narrow chokepoint. Upriver from that my wife wanted to stop and have picnic on a sunny mid July day. I found a shady spot under a big oak tree where we could tie up under the shade. She said “watch for snakes” I sez “ain’t no snakes that high up in that oak tree” I tied up to a river birch at the bank. No sooner had I stepped off the bow seat wife stutters out “s-s-snake!” A two and a half foot water moccasin had fallen onto the bow seat just as I stepped off. After some excitement I was able to scoop him up with a paddle and flip him out of the boat. We decided to untie and take our picnic back to the house but then the out curling gunnel near the stern got hung up on some cypress knees. I told my lovely betrothed that she had to go up to the bow seat to shift weight off the cypress knees…

Speedy was a friend of mine, and family. Riley stole Angel Oak and Morris Island from him through eminent domain.

He was a good, caring person.

Joe Riley was a no good POS.

2 Likes

A piece of local news