What I Just Ate

Family in Clio SC grew hundreds of acres of watermelons , cantaloupes The way to tell on the vine is by looking at the tendril just opposite of the melon stem. When it dies and turns brown the melon is ready. In the marketplace put one hand on one side of the melon and lightly slap the other side. If you feel vibration come thru the melon it’s ready. If the vibration is weak the melon is not ripe or past it’s prime. Too soft inside.

+10 on the dried up tendril, works on pumpkins too. thump technique works when melons are in a store and you can’t see the tendril.

worst thing in a melon is it over ripe… I’ll take a dozen not quit ripe to one over. yuck.

That’s what I’ve always been told and it works in my experience.

I remember walking down the middle of a field near Clio SC and my uncle showing me that little tendril And cutting a hot watermelon open on the tailgate of a pickup truck. I still recall the sweetness and seeing the honey bees coming to lap up the juice. Back then watermelons were different. They got huge with big spitable seeds. We had some that were dark green and perfectly round. And the long ones with “Rattlesnake” stripes. Now the store melons are smaller and no where near as good.

The seedless ones are all the rage. People are too spoiled to have seeds in their watermelon!

We just fill 'em with vodka…

World champion watermelon spinner. I think it’s somewhere around 75 ft

Tracy Byrd Watermelon Crawl Music Video - YouTube

I’m thinking the seedless watermelons are like indoor pluming… a nice improvement. :grinning: I love me some seedless watermelon. I have to admit, when outside it is fun to spit the seeds at each other. Then when you get called out on it, you just hold them between your fingers and pinch shoot them at each other so it’s not “spitting”.

Nothing like seeing a bunch of kids making a mess eating Watermelon! Warms the Heart!

2 Likes

1 Like

I’m not much on bunny food.
Oh but that salad. I don’t believe that would last very long around me.

Blueberry muffins with a blackberry in the middle of it.
It looks like we’re going to get another round of blueberries.

1 Like

Please tell me that’s not tofu…

Cabot pepper jack

This joint is headed in that exact direction…

Was in the sun couldn’t see my phone real good. If that was tofu. I figured the planets would have come out of line

1 Like

1 Like

Venison burger smothered and covered, smashed garlic and cheddar spuds, rabbit fodder.

1 Like

Do you add suet to venison burger during processing?

Yes, there is a steak house up here that cuts aged prime rib at your table. The owner is a friend and he saves the beef fat trimmings for me. I eyeball measure to about 80% bambi and 20% bessie.