You can't plant lemon seeds....

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

There’s something satisfying about growing one from a seed. I’m going to try it at least. Everything I read says that you can expect to bare fruit after three years. 6 months down!!

my rooting cherry seeds did not turn out as well…I think I ate them with some chicken wings the other week…looking forward to my gift! thank you RickyBobby!

If your homegrown lemons have seeds, I’d try to sprout those and grow them. By the 3rd of 4th generation, I bet they would acclimate really well to the Low Country.

13ft Whaler with 25hp Johnson

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

You could give these a try! http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/lawn-and-garden/dwarf-fruit-trees/article

http://www.gurneys.com/product/dwarf_meyer_lemon

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Double D

The plants are looking good.
Try doing the same with an apple seed.

Double D.

I thought apples were much harder to grow from seeds, no?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

I thought so too,but my 2 boys proved me wrong. I may never see an apple off of any of the 6 little trees befrore I die but they might.We have them in pots and they are about 2' tall now,they were thrown in a flower pot about 2 years ago.

Double D.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Double D.

I thought so too,but my 2 boys proved me wrong. I may never see an apple off of any of the 6 little trees befrore I die but they might.We have them in pots and they are about 2' tall now,they were thrown in a flower pot about 2 years ago.

Double D.

From what I’ve read, you have to graft on a known good plant in order for that apple tree to ever produce fruit. Grafting is easier than is sounds. Use your existing plant as the rootstock and graft on whatever type of apple you want. Otherwise yours will grow, but likely never fruit. I think your 2’ plant might be the perfect time to graft now. You can even graft different types of apples if you wanted and a healthy tree will eventually produce both fruits.

Or take your chances with the apple seeds like they are now. It will grow but may or may not produce fruit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDr7AXyruw

www.batu

23, are you saying that Johnny Appleseed, was just wasting his time walking around shooting blanks[:0]:question:

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Double D.

Double D.

From what I’ve read, you have to graft on a known good plant in order for that apple tree to ever produce fruit. Grafting is easier than is sounds. Use your existing plant as the rootstock and graft on whatever type of apple you want. Otherwise yours will grow, but likely never fruit. I think your 2’ plant might be the perfect time to graft now. You can even graft different types of apples if you wanted and a healthy tree will eventually produce both fruits.

Or take your chances with the apple seeds like they are now. It will grow but may or may not produce fruit.

https://www

I just harvested the first bucket of oranges off my tree for this year (James Island). Oranges are bigger this year than most previous years, very juicy. Probably another 60 - 80 oranges still on the tree. Problem is many are too high to reach.

I have a Lemon bush in a pot that has produced for 15 - 20 years but it got too cold last year, it does have a couple of lemons that are just starting (blossoms about a month ago), and a couple more blossoms just starting to form.

And I have a Meyers lemon tree in the yard, 30-40 huge lemons (softball size) last year, but it too did not produce this year. Still alive and came back well from the freezes last winter but no lemons…

quote:
Originally posted by SUNNY

I just harvested the first bucket of oranges off my tree for this year (James Island). Oranges are bigger this year than most previous years, very juicy. Probably another 60 - 80 oranges still on the tree. Problem is many are too high to reach.

I have a Lemon bush in a pot that has produced for 15 - 20 years but it got too cold last year, it does have a couple of lemons that are just starting (blossoms about a month ago), and a couple more blossoms just starting to form.

And I have a Meyers lemon tree in the yard, 30-40 huge lemons (softball size) last year, but it too did not produce this year. Still alive and came back well from the freezes last winter but no lemons…

It love to see that orange tree.

On the lemons, what color are your leaves right now?

quote:
I have a Meyers lemon tree in the yard, 30-40 huge lemons (softball size) last year, but it too did not produce this year. Still alive and came back well from the freezes last winter but no lemons...

My mother has several of those in Savannah, they usually make lemons bigger than softballs, same thing for her this year, no lemons. She has some nice grapefruits though.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

leaves on both lemon plants are solid green, maybe a little darker than the leaves on the sprouts in the Pics above, and a good bit darker green than in the pic of the lemon bush in the gray planter above

I’m tech challenged but I’ll see if I can post a pic of the orange tree.

I’ve talked to several people with Meyers that have said the same thing. Fruit production was way down compared to last year. Maybe its the weather, I don’t know. If you ever notice your leaves turning yellowish on the edges, its either time for more water or fertilizer. Yellow leaves can contribute to less fruit; its why I asked.

My plant produced about half of what it did last year, but it was still a good year.

Took me bit but here’s my orange tree

on the right is a cluster of 4 very immature lemons, blossoms in Nov., and on the left is a couple of buds that are about to blossom, in December…

That’s fantastic. I would love a cutting from it.

Carol bought a Myer lemon and a lime tree from COSTCO in 2012 they started producing last year.

People will forget what you said…
People will forget what you did…
But people will never forget how you made them feel.

quote:

That’s fantastic. I would love a cutting from it.

I’ll take “common sayings from men with low testosterone for $100” Alex

That’s it. I’m calling Mrs. Pod now. Prepare to be on the couch tonight Bucko.

Pfft. I live there. What else you got?

Just planted some more little guys a couple of days ago. I should have some more 3" plants in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.

Bozo, how’s your little plant doing?

quote:

Bozo, how’s your little plant doing?

I’ll get a pic of LittleRickyBobby soon…it is doing very well, thank you for checking on him…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org