ZigZag Strikes Again "Superbowl Sunday Diving"

Aren’t some places in the Bahamas off limits to hook and line too?

There’s also more than one variable at play here.

The Bahamas is one of the few places in the world where it is somewhat safe to scuba dive. Big Grouper in less than 30ft of water.

All rules and regulations being equal, if I had the choice between diving here off Charleston and down in the Bahamas…I’d choose the Bahamas every time.

Spearfishing in 100ft of water and spearfishing in 30ft of water are two very different ballgames.

I happen to be part owner of the ZigZag and part of the Fishing/Diving Team we have put together. I’d like to make a few Comments Please.

1. I don’t dive anymore but have been fishing these waters for about 15 years. Many of the photos you saw on this post were rod caught fish and others shot. Over these years we have spent many days just seaching for new bottom that holds fish. Just like other serious fishermen do.

2. Certain fisherman always give divers a hard time but remember, when their diving 100’+ depths they have a very short period of time on the bottom ( 20 to 40 minutes)and can’t do near the damage to the stock as a fishing boat can do in hours.

3. Divers are selective in what they shoot, in contrast to bottom fishing. We all know what happens when you bring a fish up 100 or more feet just to find its not legal. Venting the fish increase its chances of survival but no real good data is known on the Mortality Rates. Point being I’ve probably killed a lot more fish that I’ve released versus what I have put in the Box. Most Divers I know don’t shoot illegal fish and also will not Clean Out a spot by Shooting everything in sight.

4. Florida and the Bahamas recieve much more Fishing and Diving pressure because its Easier and Cheaper. How Many of those Fisherman and Divers down south do you think would like to travel the distances and dive the depths that we have to in this part of the Country? Our waters are Fertile and Healthier because of those reasons.

5. I don’t know how many fisherman there are from Charleston to Savannah (???–thousands–???) but theirs only a couple of handfulls of Divers, I think the CharlestonDivers Group can contest to that, and oh by the way, those Charleston Guys are GOOD. Some of you who don’t like divers might want to think twice before you make your statments. These Divers can provide information to possibly help you. I’ve been fishing all my life and gather information from other fisherman just like the rest of us but, the divers give m

Its not that they don’t like divers, It is a long running debate as to who brings in more fish. Certain people have taken sides, and will not be swayed either way. I agree with you that divers are selective, and have zero bycatch. I love getting a report from a diver about I spot that I have fished for 20 years, and find I am dead wrong about the bottom structure. Again…very nice catch of fish…and I would love some slippers next time you get some.

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Sellsfish is on point.

However, to paint a picture of diving and spearing as if it’s so much more eco-friendly than fishing is wrong IMO.

How many times do spearfishermen shoot a fish and not harvest it due to a bad shot? What’s the mortality rate of those fish? The fish discarded when fishing are usually shorts, and they are almost by definition sexually immature fish. They are young fish. They are of an age class which has more members of fish. Which fish is a diver shooting and the spear ripping out of? A sexually immature, short fish? Or the sexually mature breeder fish that’s more of a trophy? What’s the mortality rate. I’ve never caught a grouper or snapper with a spearhole scar. Anybody ever shot one that they’ve hit and not harvested the week, month, or year before?

Big fish rocks a fisherman up or breaks the line, does it have a better or worse chance of survival than if it’d had a spearshaft go through its gut or back?

These are the fish the biologists say we should not be harvesting- but what good is a slot when the fish that size has such a low chance of survival when released as you say? Spearfisherman could exercise a slot limit because they can pick and choose every fish they want to kill, right? But that’s not fair, is it?

I can turn a lot of these arguments back over onto themselves this way. It’s just the way it is. And the only reason I’ve ever been motivated to do it is because people are blowing a tad of hot air about spearfishing on a fishing website IMO.

You may be under the impression that I hate diving. This is incorrect. I have posted reports of me running boats to spots and divers doing the work that they do there. If I hated diving, why would I take these folks to my very most favorite spots to spearfish and give high fives at the end of the day?

I plan on learning to dive myself. I have nothing at all against it, and I am looking forward to all that it has to offer. Just don’t keep blowing the hot air onto fishing here on a

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

You may be under the impression that I hate diving.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

No. We are under the impression that you are ignorant.

quote:
Originally posted by greg1
quote:

Maybe we are under the impression that you divers are sorry fisherman,and resort to drastic measures.

Most of us that dive have tons of extra equipment. For a small deposit and a liability waiver I’ll let you rent my gear and then you guys can check it out. seems fair enough to me. swing by Gedney Howe and sign the paperwork on your way home.

[/quote]

Maybe we are under the impression that you divers are sorry fisherman,and resort to drastic measures.
[/quote]

Some are …some are not. SJ for one can reel them in with the best of them, and I have learned plenty from him on trolling.

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

What is wrong with getting skunked? I have been plenty of times.I do know that when I come back to that spot I will catch something.Nothing bites,you dive and shoot them,you come back to what?A shot up spot.That is where I see greed.I got my PADI card in 1986,and the only thing I need Gedney for is to shoot his pen raised deer.

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

What is wrong with getting skunked? I have been plenty of times.I do know that when I come back to that spot I will catch something.Nothing bites,you dive and shoot them,you come back to what?A shot up spot.That is where I see greed.I got my PADI card in 1986,and the only thing I need Gedney for is to shoot his pen raised deer.

Why do you think divers shoot up spots more than hook n liners overfish a spot?

Do you not think Phin has slap worn out his red snapper hole by now?

quote:
quote:
quote:

At least we are qualified to discuss and compare both methods.

Phin,

You bring up some really good points—because yes–they have shot some nice spawners that got away—I can’t argue that at all. All that I was trying to get across is divers are selective, and they don’t get as much dive time as fisherman get fishing time.

As I said, I don’t dive anymore and have been fishing these waters for 15 years. Some days are good, some bad, and I’ve even got skunked a few times.

I can only count on one hand the times we have so call limited out on either Rod or Gun. Those days are far and few between but we all post pictures from GOOD Days, Not Bad Days. (Sort of Bragging I guess).

People say theres only so many spots to fish in Our Waters and that is totally false. South Carolina is a Bottom Fishing Mecca compared to other areas of the East Coast and Gulf. Not only with the amount of spots but the quality of the Fish. As I said eirlier, its harder to fish and dive here but almost unlimited in new spots that have not been found.

A hand full of Divers is not going to deplete our stokes nor is 1000 fishing boats. Florida and Bahamas has 10’s of Thousands who go out every day, and YES they have damaged the areas thus the tighter REGS.

Your Points were well taken.

Good Luck Everyone.

quote:

Did somebody piss in your frosted flakes? You seem to have been in a foul mood lately.:imp:

I will not get into a battle of wits with a man who is completely unarmed!

quote:
Originally posted by Scoutin 4 Goodies
quote:

Did somebody piss in your frosted flakes? You seem to have been in a foul mood lately.:imp:

I will not get into a battle of wits with a man who is completely unarmed!

No scootin,no pee.Actually,things have been going pretty good lately.Evidently you dont know me.I am just telling it the way I see it:smiley:.

Well when I go FISHING (rod or gun) I go to catch fish and that is what I do. If you dont like it then $$$$ &&&. Have fun getting skunked and talking **** on this website.

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

Some are …some are not. SJ for one can reel them in with the best of them, and I have learned plenty from him on trolling.

Thanks sir, but I've had some great teachers along the way including yourself!

To contribute to the discussion:

The only rule that you really need to follow about bottom fishing and diving is to never have a closed mind. As soon as you do, you put a cap on your knowledge. Fish with as many people as you can and learn a little sumpin’ sumpin’ from each and experiment on your own a little…

I’m 100% convinced that if I gave up diving for a year, I could put as much meat in the boat with rod and reel. Most people do not take the time to learn both sides. There is a HUGE difference between “bottom fishing” and “grouper fishing”. And you can take that one to the bank!!! 90% of the people on this forum go “bottom fishing” and they wonder why they don’t catch grouper.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

The only rule that you really need to follow about bottom fishing and diving is to never have a closed mind.

Most people do not take the time to learn both sides.

There is a HUGE difference between “bottom fishing” and “grouper fishing”.

Well said.

Now can you please ask midgieporgy to stop calling me ignorant when I haven’t been saying stuff like “diving’s easier than fishing” anymore?

Luke 8:22-25

quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJam

Well when I go FISHING (rod or gun) I go to catch fish and that is what I do. If you dont like it then $$$$ &&&.

I don’t see where anyone has said they didn’t like your fish killage.

quote:
Have fun getting skunked and talking **** on this website.

Is the getting skunked comment directed towards me?
Please.
If you’d like to fish with rod and reel for grouper and snapper against me some day, I’d welcome that.

The comments about diving that I made on here were meant as jabs returning jabs poked at me on another report, before yours, where I didn’t respond. Nothing meant against you personally whatsoever.

The warning about posting too much information on the internet in fishing reports, however, were directed 100% towards you and your buddies. It was kind of like saying, “Hey, you’re telling me, a perfect stranger to you, where you’re very likely killing these fish. And btw, I know that I’m not the only one who knows the bottom pretty well in that area.” It was not saying that you stole a spot or didn’t find the spot or that you were even burning the spot up. It was that you were telling me your location within a reasonably certainty and to be careful with that since 1000’s of people read this site.

Don’t see what there is to “$$$$ &&&” about since besides the above, mostly what you’ve got in response to your report is attaboy’s and kudos. (Bolbie is just p.o.'ed because his spots have all been cornholed by divers or something. I dunno.) :clown_face:

quote:

Do you not think Phin has slap worn out his red snapper hole by now?

You don’t see me catching any more do you?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

The only rule that you really need to follow about bottom fishing and diving is to never have a closed mind.

Most people do not take the time to learn both sides.

There is a HUGE difference between “bottom fishing” and “grouper fishing”.

Well said.

Now can you please ask midgieporgy to stop calling me ignorant when I haven’t been saying stuff like “diving’s easier than fishing” anymore?

Well, have you ever spearfished? If the answer is “no”, then that pretty much makes you ignorant on the subject.

However, I’ll give an opportunity to take the ignorant hat off. Answer the following 2 questions and if your answer is within 5 of the actual answer I won’t call you ignorant for 2 weeks.

1- How many red snapper have I shot, wounded, and lost in 120 dives?
2- How many fish have I shot, wounded, and lost in the last 12 months?

I promise I’ll be honest.